Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#228182 - 07/21/11 11:40 PM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: cfraser]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: cfraser
OK, so size isn't a reason to choose one over the other. What is? Thanks.

I was inclined towards the FastFind for price and local availability.

The ResQLink is the clear winner, IMO. I will be replacing my Fastfind with the ResQLink: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=284
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#228187 - 07/22/11 12:03 AM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: TeacherRO]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ Thanks Doug. But really, I did not see a compelling reason to point me to the ResQLink. Did I miss it? Having both of the units in hand and actually using might show obvious diffs, but I can't do that. Heck, I don't think I could even test them to see how they work around here, blind faith (makes me uneasy).

It's not like I'm a professional pilot, though I am a pilot, this is only for "casual" mostly land personal use. The FastFind is ~$200 around here.

Edit: The FastFind is $225 here now. If the ResQLink had a user-replaceable battery, that alone would sway me...I'm checking for that now...

#228192 - 07/22/11 12:36 AM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: cfraser]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: cfraser
^ Thanks Doug. But really, I did not see a compelling reason to point me to the ResQLink. Did I miss it? Having both of the units in hand and actually using might show obvious diffs, but I can't do that. Heck, I don't think I could even test them to see how they work around here, blind faith (makes me uneasy).

It's not like I'm a professional pilot, though I am a pilot, this is only for "casual" mostly land personal use. The FastFind is ~$200 around here.

Edit: The FastFind is $225 here now. If the ResQLink had a user-replaceable battery, that alone would sway me...I'm checking for that now...

To each his own. If least expensive is your requirement, get the Fastfind.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#228196 - 07/22/11 01:25 AM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: KenK]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Originally Posted By: KenK
I hope that's not just a really really big hand!

#228197 - 07/22/11 02:00 AM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: TeacherRO]
sotto Offline
Addict

Smallest? Where would we all be without Marketing to put a little daily smile on our faces? ;-)

#228201 - 07/22/11 02:48 AM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: Doug_Ritter]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
To each his own. If least expensive is your requirement, get the Fastfind.

I realized I may have given that impression, but actually I only mentioned price to show that was NOT a consideration in the comparison since they are expected to be very close.

I didn't want to take too much of your time by getting into my "personal" details as I know you're always so busy, especially lately. Where I was actually coming from is that the FastFind is easily available locally NOW. Whereas, best I can find out but I'm not positive, is that the ResQLink is not yet approved in Canada. So...was there a compelling reason I should wait for the ResQLink, or not. I will follow the ResQLink experiences here, since I'm not planning to need rescue for a few more months anyway...

Now that I think about it, the user-replaceable battery thing is a red herring. As a bit of a battery person I actually do understand why they don't have this, at this point. The FastFind is effectively disposable, based on a battery replacement cost quoted to another Canadian owner, and I don't see it getting cheaper in a few years.

#228210 - 07/22/11 11:05 AM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: NuggetHoarder]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder

Wow!!! Look at the size of those quarters!

#228211 - 07/22/11 11:09 AM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: TeacherRO]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I do have to say - and I believe that Doug had a hand in it - that the new PLBs are much easier to use - that things would be less confusing in a time of severe stress.

I found my Terrafix 406 to be somewhat confusing - I could see that under stress I might have doubts about whether I was using it correctly. As I remember I have to press two buttons - I think its a Test button and a GPS button at the same time for a few seconds. What's with that? It would feel like that was just launching a test sequence.

As I recall it would flash a red LED, then green ... or something like that. I always thought that the red LED would make me think I was doing something wrong - like an error warning, and that would lead me to wonder if it was even working. The newer models are much more straight forward.

#228213 - 07/22/11 12:00 PM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: TeacherRO]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I've not studied the differences between the two the way Doug has, but it would appear that one major difference between the two is ACR's 406 Link Service. Also ACR does have a spotless record in this area. As I do not plan on using the check-in capabilities on my PLB (I have a Spot 2 I received as a gift that I use for that), I'm going to stick with the Fast Find 210 at least until its battery expiration. Although it may seem silly carrying two devices, I just do not like using the battery capacity on the life-saver device for non-emergency traffic and if PLB standards remain that a non-user replaceable battery is standard, I'm not likely to change my mind.

#228216 - 07/22/11 12:35 PM Re: resqlink smallest PLB almost ready for sales [Re: TeacherRO]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I will stay with my fast find as well for now until by battery is almost out. I like the resqlink and I don't use the service that you have to pay for the text. The size difference is not significantly noticeable,the one hand feature is nice and a little more battery life is good but to toss my fastfind for that when it still is good is not something I would do at this time however when it's time to change the batteries I will do the switch.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.