The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227875 - 07/15/11 06:11 AM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've got something similar from the USO. I'd def. add dental floss and mouthwash. Would suggest nail clippers but see you added them.

#227876 - 07/15/11 10:12 AM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
While I am certainly well groomed in relatively normal circumstances, when the going gets tough, none of this stuff is worth carrying around. I would far rather have additional food or water.

In terms of grooming, nothing beats a shower or a bath, which only requires soap.

#227877 - 07/15/11 10:12 AM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I keep a package of those Adventure Medical Kits "Fresh Bath" wipes in my travel kit.

I typically have not been impressed at all with travel wipes and was skeptical of the AMK wipes. Based on AMKs reputation I decided that I would give them a try and I was actually very pleased with how well they worked.

In regards to shaving; I think NightHiker covered the bases pretty well.

#227878 - 07/15/11 10:29 AM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: hikermor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
While I am certainly well groomed in relatively normal circumstances, when the going gets tough, none of this stuff is worth carrying around. I would far rather have additional food or water.

In terms of grooming, nothing beats a shower or a bath, which only requires soap.

At least in my case, this isn't something to be carried around, this is the bug out to a hotel layer

#227880 - 07/15/11 12:30 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The idea is to use the BOBWABUK once you have reached that Bug out location base camp (hopefully where there is some water and food resources such as wild game, hotel restaurant etc). The camp shower for example is a versatile piece of kit.

The Ortlieb bag can double up a dry bag, a camp shower and a component for a camp water filter and a 10 litre water carrier.

The BOBWABUK can double up as a field or urban kit (hotel bug out). Keeping bodily clean will also keep clothing and other field kit such as sleeping bags cleaner helping with longer term performance for shelter as well.

Quote:
Not only is there a psychological aspect to being able to maintian routine hygiene practices I know that I look a lot less threatening when I'm clean shaven.

This is an interesting take, does keeping neat and tidy get you to the front of the queue more quickly. i.e. does it blag you the last hotel room where all the other scruffs, waifs and strays don't?

Is it worth the addition 1-2 lbs of additional carry weight for BOB kit?

Quote:
Consider using shaving mug soap and brush.There is no can to puncture,discharge or explode.In a pinch it can be used for bathing.....

I prefer the King of Shaves Alpha Oil (much less bulky) and it is very lightweight and gives a very close and effective shave when used with the Gillette Mach3 Power Razor (the alkaline AAA cell has been replaced with a Lithium Energiser AAA). The small bottle of Alpha oil will give around 20-30 shaves.

http://www.kingofshavesdirect.com/category.asp?cat_id=UK_130&nwbr=UK

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/15/11 12:52 PM)

#227882 - 07/15/11 01:35 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bill Offline
Stranger

Loc: Fl, Gulf Coast
I have two similar kits, one I use for traveling, and one I keep at work. As others have mentioned, I include a small pack of dental floss as well as a few individually packaged toothpicks I snag from restaurants. Other items I find useful is a small zip lock with a dozen or so Q-tips and a small stainless nail file. Over the years I have added and subtracted items, but have settled in on these Items.

• Small Bar of Dr. Bonners soap (used for the minimal shaving I do)
• Small travel sized Shampoo
• Tooth Brush
• Tooth Paste
• Dental Floss
• Toothpicks
• Deodorant
• Metal Nail File
• Q-Tips
• Disposable Razor
• Hair Comb

I find the bulk/weight negligible, and as with selecting most stuff an individual’s personal preference.

I carry these items in a small MOLLE pouch (both kits) but I like the looks of the OPs roll up, where did you get it?

#227883 - 07/15/11 04:51 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Here is a camp shower that weighs 4.25 ounces and holds 10 liters.
Sea to Summit Camp Shower

Edited by Montanero (07/15/11 04:52 PM)

#227884 - 07/15/11 05:13 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What a great idea - thanks

#227887 - 07/15/11 06:11 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Me too. Their ultra-sil nylon bags will hold water, in or out, and they are extremely light and pack small. I am accumulating more of their stuff all the time. I have not tried the bag liners. Do they add a lot of warmth? Can you use them alone in the summer? I have not spent the money yet to try them and you are the first person I have talked to that has. I have read very mixed reviews on them.

#227907 - 07/16/11 02:56 AM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: NightHiker]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Here is a camp shower that weighs 4.25 ounces and holds 10 liters.
Sea to Summit Camp Shower

FWIW - I've been pretty impressed with the quality of all the Sea to Summit products I've come across. I've got a couple of their dry bags that are completely bomb-proof and their Reactor sleeping bag liner totally rocks.

no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer

Another happy S2S customer. Use the shower bag for everything from washing dishes to hands and, of course, showers. Have six dry bags in different sizes. A Reactor liner in my camping kit, BoB and GHB. Several sets of their aluminum eating irons and one of their tarp/ponchos. Good stuff, and reasonably priced (well, the poncho was a bit pricey, but not too bad).

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.