The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227846 - 07/14/11 04:47 PM BOBWABUK
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes its a Bug Out Bag Wash And Brush Up Kit (BOBWABUK) whistle

A durable Camouflage roll kit with hanging hook and mirror.

Consisting;

Tooth Brush and Toothpaste (traveler size)
Razor and spare disposable blades
Shave Oil
Facewash
Bar of Soap (Bog Myrtle and Stinging Nettle)
Chapstick
Handy Towel
Sani-hands disposible wipes.
Small deodorant (traveler size)
Sun Cream SPF25

TP and Comb are kept elsewhere. This type of kit, is I think much overlooked as a ways and means to keep up moral in difficult circumstances. There is no need not to look neat, tidy and clean when the SHTF as well as maintaining some semblance of hygiene.

Anything to add or remove?

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/14/11 04:54 PM)

#227848 - 07/14/11 05:02 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You do realize, of course, that everyone else is going to smell just so much worse?

"ALL RIGHT! WHO'S THE GUY WHO DOESN'T STINK?"

Sue

#227850 - 07/14/11 05:14 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Some of this I understand. Even in a survival situation we need to shower (deodorant optional), brush our teeth and maintain our nails. But do men really need to shave in a survival situation?

Speaking of nails, I would include nail care.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227851 - 07/14/11 05:32 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
mine is a little more Spartan... would add dental floss, medicated baby powder, some topical antifungal (I live in Florida)and regular foot powder, heavy duty toe nail clippers

Edited by LesSnyder (07/14/11 05:33 PM)

#227852 - 07/14/11 05:41 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
As an aside. Keep an eye on the deodorant expiration date (if any). Expired deodorant smells funky.

#227855 - 07/14/11 06:15 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Actually I keep a similar bag packed. I live 250 miles away from my parents and farming can sometime be dangerous. My father has been in the hospital a couple times due to farm accidents, most recent was when they were butchering the day before they were to drive up to our house for thanksgiving so we packed up at the last minute and ran down there for thanksgiving. Another time was when i was at work and my mother called to let us know the hospital said there was nothing else they could do for my grandmother so they were sending her home so we had to call my wife and tell her to pack as I was driving home.
Those types of situations can happen where you needs to leave home quickly and get somewhere else, you can prepare for thm just like preparing to get lost in the woods.
I have a toilerty kit for each family member that i rotate supplies through, when we need a new toothbrush it goes in the kit and the one in the kit goes in the bathroom for use.
Those all stay ready in the closet next to the suitcases so if somehting happens we can just drop them in and go. Enough there to go for a few days so we don;t have to find a store and with my parents being rural the nearest store is 45 minutes away and is a walmart so there isn't much of a selection either.
Its just another layer of my kits, I have my EDC with me, my GHB and breakdown supplies in the vehicles, the go bags hanging in our rooms and then to extended go layer of the suitcase and kits.

#227856 - 07/14/11 06:22 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: LesSnyder]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
But do men really need to shave in a survival situation?

Tried once for about 10 days to grow a beard, but failed miserably because of the grotty feel. whistle

Quote:
mine is a little more Spartan... would add dental floss, medicated baby powder, some topical antifungal (I live in Florida)and regular foot powder, heavy duty toe nail clippers

An antifungal foot powder would be nice but is a little bulky and heavy. I haven't really had any problems with athletes foot (X Static woolen Socks or equivalent silver impregnated socks really help), but if the feet get a little funky then a foot rub made from the small bottle of Bog Myrtle (from the FAK) would be used in a higher concentration if the Bog Myrtle soap wasn't cutting it.

http://www.amphora-retail.com/myrtle-essential-10ml-p-237.html

Nail clippers have been added to the BOBWABUK.

Dental floss is a good idea, I think its in the FAK. Would some powerpro spectra braid fishing line (18lb test) from the fishing kit double up, but without the minty taste?

Quote:
As an aside. Keep an eye on the deodorant expiration date (if any). Expired deodorant smells funky.

There was no expiration date on the Nivea Spray deodorant. The propellant was butane so could also double up as a useful fire starter or keep away snakes James Bond style.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/14/11 06:34 PM)

#227858 - 07/14/11 07:42 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
For the deodorant question. I use the Crystal(tm) salt sticks. It is good on the pits and feet. Salts are natural antimicrobial an have no ingredients to go funky. Granted, they are fragile, but I like them. They last a long time - months and months.

Standard Disclaimer

YMMV

My $.02

#227862 - 07/14/11 09:15 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
A fine thread!

For your consideration:

small bottle of liquid "mouth wash"
Wonder Bar or other scent neutralizing metal bar
condums
choose biodegradable / flushable wipes

#227867 - 07/14/11 11:01 PM Re: BOBWABUK [Re: JBMat]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
For deodorant you should try a crystal deodorant stone.They are made of mineral crystals.You can find them in health food stores and in some big box stores.Deodorant stones do not have perfumes in them.This is a plus as perfumes can attract nasty insects and bees.the minerals inhibit the growth of odor causing bacteria.I've used them for years and am only on my third one(they last that long) and they don't melt in summer heat.
Consider using shaving mug soap and brush.There is no can to puncture,discharge or explode.In a pinch it can be used for bathing.....

BOATMAN
John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.