Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#228195 - 07/22/11 01:22 AM Re: Montana 650 Review warning heavy pictures ahead! [Re: falcon5000]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Great review and thanks for taking the time to post it. Have you experimented with the turn by turn voice yet? I have a 3 year old Nuvi and a loud Jeep and I can barely hear my Nuvi's speaker. I heard the latest models can play the voice through the car's radio via an FM signal but it sounds like this feature was left out of the Montana. I'd really like to hear more about the Montana's speaker if you've used it.

#228214 - 07/22/11 12:24 PM Re: Montana 650 Review warning heavy pictures ahead! [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

widget, I know what you mean with gloves and touchscreens. I haven't tried it with gloves on, I'll have to experiment with it.

Roarmeister, my bad, didn't mean a hard drive, I'm not sure what they are using for internal 3.5 gigs of memory, the external memory is a microsd card, the internal has to be some sort of flash memory.

NuggetHoarder, I use it in both my car and truck using the garmins external speaker cradle and it's pretty loud with no problem hearing it. As for a jeep without the top it may be harder to hear. It has a headset jack identical to a laptop and you can run it into a amp which will go trough your speakers or use one of those audio to FM transmitters that are real cheap and transmit it to the radio station and crank it up. This is the mount I got and the speaker is pretty loud but without the jeep top might need boosted a little. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=89574
The turn by turn navigation is the same like the Nuvi, it gives you a boat load of different voices to use in all different languages.

And thanks all for the kind posts.

#228223 - 07/22/11 06:14 PM Re: Montana 650 Review warning heavy pictures ahead! [Re: falcon5000]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Excellent review F5K!! I like your list of pro's and con's. They sum up your thought well.

Question to you and others who might theorize ...

Do you have any idea why the GPS is so large and "brick" like?

I know they can put the GPS receiver in a tiny package, and would suspect that the display can be kept fairly small (ala smart phones), so that leads me to wonder if the size is mostly related to the battery - power needes - and needing to provide sufficient hours of operation.

I tend to wonder if the large color display has a substantial power consumption (as does my Droid 2) and thus they need to include a fairly large battery.

Just wondering.

#228242 - 07/22/11 11:17 PM Re: Montana 650 Review warning heavy pictures ahead! [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

widget, I went to the extreme today and put on Snow Ski gloves and could use the unit with no problems, I just had these big fingers but adapted very quickly.

NuggetHoarder, I was thinking about trying to make a video for you to show the audio capabilities. If I get some time I'll try and do that.

KenK, I still don't know why the big case, I have a droid as well with a camera. The unit has a external antenna port, headset port and a mini usb port, has the camera built in, a GPS antenna and a wireless antenna as well for the Garmin wireless unit transfer plus the battery pack consumes a lot of the space since it has a dual function with the 2 battery options. It is built like a tank, I would seriously doubt you will hurt this thing and in a worse case scenario, you can throw it at a charging bear and put it's eye out smile One thing is the chip set with this unit is phenomenal, I have never had a unit lock on to sats so quickly and coverage. I was very impressed I can turn the unit off and go a long way out and have it aquire my location so quickly.

Izzy, I saw the new etrex line up and they look good, I had considered them before buying this unit but I had gotten tired of the old joystick feature from the old HCX models, that is why I went to the Dakota a while back for the touchscreen. Plus my eyes aren't as good as they were when I was young and needed a bigger screen instead of putting glasses on to look at the screen on the etrex series. I didn't see too much improvement with the new design except for the faster chip set, screen resolution and a tougher shell. If you like that style it would be a improvement. I had wished more they had improved on the Dakota's screen brightness.

#228251 - 07/23/11 12:08 AM Re: Montana 650 Review warning heavy pictures ahead! [Re: falcon5000]
widget Offline
Addict

Good to know it can be worked with gloves, thanks for that. I know my HTC Incredible 2 would be a challenge with a glove on, I don't use any nav features on it though. I have my trusty old Map 60 Cx which has served me well. I also have a Nuvi 255W for the cars and it works very well. I do need to update my maps though. What am I waiting for!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.