Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#228517 - 07/25/11 09:39 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
RE: PROTECTION

I've been thinking a lot about security lately. I work in a small office (single story, 4 individual offices, (one seperated from the central office by a glass wall), one central office with 4 work stations, 1 kitchen and 2 single washrooms. The front of the office is all glass and has one single door, with access to the first, usually empty office, and blocked by a halfdoor and half wall from the rest of the office. At the back of the office is a single door which leads to our warehouse, which has one regular door and one bay door. Walking from the warehouse, you pass the two usually empty offices, the kitchen and then the FT, glass-walled office, and then the central office.

We have 25 male technicians who come and go through the day, 2 part-time (days) office workers, 1 part-time (afternoons until 6pm) female officemworker, and 2 of us (females) who work full time.

We women are often work either in pairs of alone. We lock the front door as the last guy leaves but the guys keep leaving the warehouse doors unlocked. Though I believe the risk of anything happening is low, even going back to check and lock it is a risk. Reminding them as they leave hasn't helped.

I've got an 0ffice Bug-in kit and a GHB. I keep my EDC purse and key ring within reach. The phone for the alarm system is in the glassed in office and I've stated insisting that anyone who's alone keep it at their desk.

I double-check the door as the last guy leaves, I EDC my leatherman on my belt, a bic in my pocket. I have a SS letter opener on my desk, along with an assortment of pens and a stapler, and I keep a heavy metal bar, about 2 feet long and 2" (female measured) and lg pry bar at my feet. I also keep an can of air freshener on my desk. There's usually a hot coffee there too.

*A gun is not an option.
*I don't know the laws re: mace and the "sprayed myself in the face with bear spray" story in another thread today makes me leary. (Though us girls did discuss it today.)

As an experiment, we told the guys today that a salesman entered the office through the warehouse tonight after they all left.

So, short of finding another place to work, what else can we do to keep ouselves safe from a security perspective?

Edited by bacpacjac (07/25/11 09:46 PM)
Edit Reason: "Stapler" not "a staple", though i'm sure there's a staple too that I could make use of

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#228528 - 07/25/11 10:15 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Re: the warehouse.

If they just aren't locking the doors (as opposed to not closing them), why not ask (insist) on having automatic locks installed on those doors? Then they would lock every time the door closes. If they complain that they keep locking themselves out and have to use their keys, just tell them: 'Tough luck -- you refused to lock the doors when it was easy for you, so now you have to do it the hard way".

And if they block the doors open and then go home, have their supervisor/foreman's phone number, call him and ask him to come back and close the doors. After a few trips, I'll bet he will train them to close the doors.

Or, install a bar to lock the door to the warehouse from the office side, and if they leave the warehouse door open and stuff gets stolen, I'll bet the company will have a word with them.

Granted, men aren't as easy to train as brain-damaged cats, but over the long term, it's generally worth the effort. Well, mostly.

Sue

#228561 - 07/26/11 12:57 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

So, short of finding another place to work, what else can we do to keep ouselves safe from a security perspective?

Perhaps a sensor would be useful ? Either a beam or movement sensor, this may give you a heads up if someone is moving around when you think people have left for the day.

It sounds like there is a more general issue with "who is responsible for lockup at the end of the day" bearing in mind that the warehouse and office lockup could be treated separately.

Perhaps a discussion with the boss could come up with a solution ? I suspect that nothing lasting could be put in place without management being prepared to insist on its implementation.

#228574 - 07/26/11 10:22 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great suggestions gang. Thanks!

We've got three chiefs at our place - 2 men and 1 woman. The guys aren't taking this seriously so my boss and are taking matters into our own hands. Auto door looks, bars and senors all seem like great ideas to me!

#228576 - 07/26/11 11:25 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Surveilance cameras, one of which is focused on that back door(s).

On the lighter side , if some of your co-workers are not married, one of the girls marries one of the guys. Hopefully he will worry enough about her to push other guys to be a bit more considerate.

#228596 - 07/26/11 04:10 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I'm not sure I understand the layout, so if I have it wrong forgive me.

If there is a full door between the folks staying late and the guys leaving the warehouse door open, it needs a lock controlled by the folks staying late. If there is such a door, the lock should be an easy installation.

If there is no door, can one and a lock be installed at reasonable cost?

Prevention is the best cure for a situation like this, and a simple door with a lock and "buzz to enter" system may an answer.

#228609 - 07/26/11 07:48 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Where is Top Management when you need them?

They should be concerned with at least two issues - leaving a warehouse unlocked (!) as well as putting office employees at risk. It is time for someone to kick some bass...

Given the circumstances, you should be just fine carrying some pepper spray or other none firearm related defensive measures. It would be good to check with the local constabulary if TM is still nodding off.....

#228620 - 07/26/11 11:18 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks gang. They had a meeting about it today and pledge
to keep it locked. Then .... actually locked up when they left.

#228621 - 07/26/11 11:20 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48

If there is a full door between the folks staying late and the guys leaving the warehouse door open, it needs a lock controlled by the folks staying late. If there is such a door, the lock should be an easy installation.

Great idea BWS! Thanks!

#228711 - 07/28/11 01:50 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A female co-worker has a great idea. She drives a Mercedes and parks it three offices down from ours every day. Yesterday I asked her why. She said it makes her feel safer because anybody would think that the owner of the car is working in a different office. Smart!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.