Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#226324 - 06/21/11 05:18 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: celler]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: celler
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
<snip>When I'm using primaries in essential gear, I use a pulse-load battery tester (I like this one http://www.batteryjunction.com/zts-mbt.html) before heading out.

I have three different versions of this battery tester. Highly accurate and much recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation. I use a voltmeter (multimeter), which gives a much rougher estimate than this tester. There are circumstances where a voltage reading may seriously mislead you - but it is still good enough for me and my humble needs.

One weakness of this tester (above link): It can't check AA or AAA lithium primaries... so no good for this specific SPOT modell. (AA/AAA lithium are rated 1.5v, not 3v. BTW, fresh AA/AAA lithium should have a closed circuit voltage of 1.6-1.7 volts).

For me, knowing the capacity with higher precision wouldn't solve the hassle of using primaries on a regular basis. I'd just end up with lots of 50% used batteries sitting on a shelf somewhere. Can't waste a battery that has 50% left, but certainly don't feel like sticking anything but fresh batteries into the unit when heading out for a trip...

As stated several times above: For emergency use - Lithium primaries, no doubt about it! And carry spares!

Edited by MostlyHarmless (06/21/11 05:19 PM)

#226327 - 06/21/11 05:37 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

One thing I would add to the discussion is the importance of leaving a trip plan with that "responsible" person.

A sample that I used is here:

www.outdoorquest.biz/TripPlanV2.pdf

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

Great TripPlan doc! I hope you don't mind that I grabbed a copy for my personal use.

#226328 - 06/21/11 05:51 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: MostlyHarmless]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Thanks for the recommendation. I use a voltmeter (multimeter), which gives a much rougher estimate than this tester. There are circumstances where a voltage reading may seriously mislead you - but it is still good enough for me and my humble needs.

I respectfully disagree; a voltmeter cannot give an accurate measurement of a battery's remaining capacity unless the battery has already had a significant drop off in voltage.

Quote:
One weakness of this tester (above link): It can't check AA or AAA lithium primaries... so no good for this specific SPOT modell. (AA/AAA lithium are rated 1.5v, not 3v. BTW, fresh AA/AAA lithium should have a closed circuit voltage of 1.6-1.7 volts).

I have this exact model and it does in fact test AA and AAA lithium primaries accurately.

Quote:
For me, knowing the capacity with higher precision wouldn't solve the hassle of using primaries on a regular basis. I'd just end up with lots of 50% used batteries sitting on a shelf somewhere. Can't waste a battery that has 50% left, but certainly don't feel like sticking anything but fresh batteries into the unit when heading out for a trip...

Makes sense. My usage patterns are apparently different enough that I haven't had a big problem with this.

#226329 - 06/21/11 05:52 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: MostlyHarmless]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
<snip>One weakness of this tester (above link): It can't check AA or AAA lithium primaries... so no good for this specific SPOT modell. (AA/AAA lithium are rated 1.5v, not 3v. BTW, fresh AA/AAA lithium should have a closed circuit voltage of 1.6-1.7 volts). <snip>

I believe the model ZTS-MBT-1is designed to test AA and AAA lithium primary batteries and pretty much anything else you want to feed it. I got one because I wanted to make sure not to over-charge or over discharge some rechargeable lithium 18650s which most people understand you need to be careful with.

#226342 - 06/21/11 09:03 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I carry a PLB. If I need it, I want to have the very highest probability that it will function as exected. I may not be able to change to new batteries or perhaps I have forgotten or lost them. It is a life safety thing for me. Not a tracking tool.

A long time ago, I was sailing my boat up a river on a dark and foggy night, using a computer map with a gps (no display) unit. At a critical point, the computer somehow got into word processing mode and started loading a gigantic file. My navigation tool became useless.

Since then, I make sure that critical items have only the functions needed to do the critical tasks.

I have a dedicated GPS for navigation, no computer assisted software, a radio for the application needed and safety equipment dedicated to safety functions only. It costs a bit more, but the probability that it will function as needed when needed is worth the small additional cost.

The PLB rides on my belt. I use my droid or ham radios for tracking and general messing about.

Think about it........

Nomad

#226349 - 06/21/11 10:39 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: BigToe]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
The trip plan is for all to download.

I agree with BackPacJac that attaching the plan to a map is a great idea.

Would appreciate any feedback on the plan. That is how I improve it.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz/TripPlanV2.pdf

Edited by Outdoor_Quest (06/21/11 10:39 PM)

#226357 - 06/22/11 12:17 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
All this talk about trip plans leads me to believe that SPOT is missing the boat here. Their web interface and updating system is much more sophisticated than the COSPAS-SARSAT system used by PLBs. They should allow you to upload your trip plan to their website which would only be accessed upon emergency activation and given to SAR. In addition, they should establish some type of emergency fail safe that sends out an email to people on your list with your trip plan if you do not disable it by a preset time (a la Patrick Stewart's character, Mace, in the 1998 movie Safe House).

#226421 - 06/22/11 02:05 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: celler]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: celler
They should allow you to upload your trip plan to their website which would only be accessed upon emergency activation and given to SAR.

I understand your intent here. But think of the minefields the SPOT company would face: data storage space, backups of that space, the ENORMOUS privacy risk if that personal data got compromised, etc etc. If I were them, I wouldn't want to add those layers to an already risky business model.

Quote:
they should establish some type of emergency fail safe that sends out an email to people on your list with your trip plan if you do not disable it by a preset time

Good news: you can implement such a plan yourself. I do it for every trip. My trusted group of contacts (plural!) gets an encrypted PDF file of my personal info, itinerary, and topo map of the area I'll be in. I use Nat Geo Topo for my trips and its easy to paste a JPG of the map into my itinerary document. I use an Excel spreadsheet I made for the itinerary document because it's so easy to tweak to suit, and insert pics. I "print" it to a PDF file for distribution to my contacts.

All SPOT-2 functions aside, my contacts know to call the cavalry if I don't contact them by an agreed upon date/time. So even if my SPOT fails entirely, or for some reason I can't access it, my contacts will provide SAR with a ton of relevant info.

I won't say it's failSAFE, but it's reasonably fail-resistant.

#226452 - 06/22/11 06:45 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
SPOT2 already has a feature with their 'Track' program, additional annual charge, that allows you to establish a shared page online with contacts.

You set the page up based on the dates of your trip, (from 1-30 day duration). Each time you activate the Track program it automatically sends a ping to the online map every ten minutes. It does this until you manually discontinue the Tracking function or turning off the unit.

You can also Name the page with the title of your adventure and add some personal information.

I have done this with hikes and ultra runs so people, especially a nervous DW, can see where I am at on my course. It would certainly establish a a digital trail for SAR, which is why I also have this function.

#226485 - 06/23/11 12:25 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You can use http://www.followupthen.com/ to send emails at a particular time. When you get back from your trip you can cancel a scheduled email.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.