Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#228300 - 07/23/11 11:43 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel

So, like "un-pregnancy" requires some considerations of monthly cycle ...etc, pregnancy in a survival situation brings whole lot of concerns and considerations.

You are so right Chisel. Pregancy and post-partum has it's own sets of challenges and concerns. Here's few ideas to get the wheels turning:

I tried to camp at 8 months pregant and here's what I learned (might not be applicable to everyone):

-pregnant women pee a lot
-I didn't bring enough water and ended up with a headache
-sleeping an on the cold damp ground was not good for all the aches and pains, and neither was trying to sleep in the car.
-my regular sleeping bag was not big enough (nor, DH would say, was our tent)
-I didn't bring enough pillows
-a good bra is hard to find but crucial when pregnant, especially when camping or hiking
-pregnant women's feet swell and her regular shoes might not fit anymore
-planning a long hike was a waste of time
-hiking on uneven ground was risky
-I woke up VERY congested every morning
-my pack was very incomfortable
-I and DH were worried about labour starting

When I did have the baby (a couple of weeks later in hospital) I learned:

-"my water broke" wasn't like in the movies. there was a lot and it didn't stop until i gave birth (packs lots of towel, pads, ad a change of pants, underwear and socks)
-there's lots to be delivered other than the baby and it doesn't end when the baby cried (stock lots of pads and towels)
-a woman can break her tailbone giving birth and an episiotom isn't nearly as pleasant as it sounds
-it can take a couple of months to be able sit or walk comfortably
-bio-functions can take some time and assistance to return to normal (add pads, fibre, laxatives and hemmeriod cream to your supply list)
-personal hygene is ultra important (soap and water are crucial)
-breasts are not purely asthetic (pack nursing pads)
-mamas need to feed their babies (pack a breast pump and bottles in case the baby doesn't latch)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#228309 - 07/23/11 04:25 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
[quote=Chisel]

-there's lots to be delivered other than the baby and it doesn't end when the baby cried (stock lots of pads and towels)

I had a good laugh at this one. Yup, that little thing euphemistically called "afterbirth." But let's face it, if you're delivering a kid in the wild, a little placenta spilling out after 20 minutes is the LEAST of your worries. There's a LOT that can go wrong - I've delivered 13 kids, and I'm scared spitless every time. That's WITH the OB standing next to me.

Good thought on the nutritional status and "feed the kids first" mentality. You may have something there.

#228313 - 07/23/11 05:05 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
When I built my wife's kit, I threw in a bunch of pads, but honestly didn't give it any more thought than that. I'd appreciate it if you would start a thread about those needs.

Good idea Chaos! As women, we've got a few different concerns that we need to prepare for.
Hope that's a good start and hasn't made any of you guys put your hands over your eyes. wink

"feminime napkins, tampons, pads, TP, medicated powder, canesten, yeast infections, pregnancy, post-partums, underwear, bladder infections..." Sounds like standard TV commerial fare seen on any night of the week. What's to be embarrassed about? grin

I think most guys are pretty educated, by osmosis if not anything else! However, I'm not so educated about this line "Women who have had babies are often given a little squirt bottle." And I'm not really looking for the explaination either! crazy

If each person puts together their own BOB then the gal should put her gear in her pack and a smaller kit could be added to the guys kit in case she can't get to hers. But if you have just one large BOB then this gear can be stowed as a separate bag in a pocket in/or attached to the backpack. Likewise, if you have seniors/kids/pets that need their specialized gear.

#228322 - 07/23/11 07:18 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
pregnancy in a survival situation brings whole lot of concerns and considerations.

I shudder at the very idea! Even for other women. Pregnant or giving birth in a survival situation -- nightmares don't get much worse than that.

And I'm just tossing this out there in case anyone has the thought or someone else suggests it immediately after a birth outside of a hospital:

* DO NOT PULL THE PLACENTA OUT WITH THE UMBILICAL CORD! It will release on its own, and trying to hurry things can cause massive bleeding.

* DO NOT DISCARD THE PLACENTA if you are within reach of a doctor. It should be carefully bagged and given to the doctor to see if it is complete. If part is missing and remains inside the mother, it could turn into a major medical emergency.

* IF THE BABY ISN'T BREATHING, DON'T CUT THE UMBILICAL CORD! The baby has been getting oxygen from Mom via the placenta and umbilical cord, it's the baby's lifeline. If something is wrong, THERE IS NO HURRY to cut the cord. It's just about the last thing to worry about.

If a paramedic tries to do any of these things, forcibly prevent them.

Here is a link to a video of an actual birthing, if you've never seen such a thing before. It would probably be a good idea not to be eating if you watch it. The text info that follows the video is also informative (I don't know why there is a recipe in there shocked. ) How to Deliver a Baby in a Pinch

Sue

#228348 - 07/24/11 11:23 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Not to hijack the thread into movie discussion , but the woman doesn't seem to be really giving birth . Maybe I can say that I felt the upper half and lower half were from different women.

I have seen a couple of peaceful and calm births on U-tube, but this was different.

Back on topic.

This thread has covered women who are pregnant and those are not pregnant. How about elderly folks? An older woman has no monthly cycle and no pregnancy concerns. Still, I feel an older woman should think of special issues more than an older man would prepare for ?

mmmmm.
Maybe osteoporosis comes to mind.

#228349 - 07/24/11 11:26 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

( I shudder at the very idea! Even for other women. )

Agree , but 3rd world or ancient women has been doing it. A few nights ago I was watching TV, I think it was Somalia. Women refugess were carrying their babies.. I somehow was wondering how they made those babies when they didn't even have tents.

Somehow life goes on.

#228381 - 07/24/11 11:45 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: Chisel]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Chisel
This thread has covered women who are pregnant and those are not pregnant. How about elderly folks? An older woman has no monthly cycle and no pregnancy concerns. Still, I feel an older woman should think of special issues more than an older man would prepare for ?
mmmmm.
Maybe osteoporosis comes to mind.

Osteoporosis is not confined to older women or men, although women are more susceptible to it. My SO has had mild Osteoporosis for a few years now and she is only in her early 40's. With proper meds (does not need to be taken daily, only as needed) and most importantly, proper diet and fitness, it is controllable at this stage and rarely bothers her. As she gets older, the Osteoporosis may not get any get worse and she and others can still enjoy full and active lives. On the other-hand, Osteoporosis can strike to the point of chronic pain 24/7, be extremely debilitating and greatly affect a person's way of life. In these severe cases, it would very difficult to be prepared in any type of large scale urban or wilderness survival situation where medical attention is not forthcoming in reasonable time.

In terms of some specific prep items:

1) OTC drugs: Ibuprofen, Tylenol Arthritis, Aspirin etc.

2)Topical creams such as Capzasin, Zostrix, and Aspercreme.

3) Prescription drugs: Many to choose from such as Celebrex, Arthrotec, Viox, Arava plus many more. Consult with your Doctor.

4) Heating pads, hot water bottles, ice packs. All work to some varying degree for temporary relief depending on the person.

John Lubbock

#228384 - 07/25/11 12:26 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here

Now that is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything, otherwise my laptop would have been destroyed. Point well-stated.

#228439 - 07/25/11 12:37 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: MoBOB]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MoBOB

Now that is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything, otherwise my laptop would have been destroyed. Point well-stated.

LOL!! Just trying to keep it not too graphic. wink

#228440 - 07/25/11 12:40 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: MDinana]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana
[quote=Chisel]

I had a good laugh at this one. Yup, that little thing euphemistically called "afterbirth." But let's face it, if you're delivering a kid in the wild, a little placenta spilling out after 20 minutes is the LEAST of your worries.

It's an annoyingly well-guarded secret amoung women who have had babies that it doesn't end with the afterbirth either. It's kind of like having your period for another week or two. Many a new mother has cried foul at her friends for not sharing the insight before the birth. It's messy business!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.