The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227963 - 07/17/11 02:33 PM Camp food
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I am heading out Tuesday for a overnight in the Oregon Cascades with my son; we will be back packing.

I'd like to get your suggestion for a simple camp dinner.

Thank you in advance,

Blake
outdoorquest.biz
outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#227965 - 07/17/11 03:03 PM Re: Camp food [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Tell us more- fire or stove? What will he eat? How long will you be hiking before you cook?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#227967 - 07/17/11 04:04 PM Re: Camp food [Re: ironraven]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I'll be using a gas (canistered) stove. I'd guess that we'll have just a short 3 hour hike in.

#227969 - 07/17/11 05:03 PM Re: Camp food [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Our standard meals for similar hikes (and using a MSR Pocket Stove.)

Lipton and other branded rice or noodle (non milk required) packages. Depending on your appetites, one pack will feed 2 if supplemented with other foods. The package directions usually state to let simmer for 15 minutes which unless you are low on fuel, is not that bad. On the other-hand, plenty of experience has found that once the water and package contents come to a boil which is not very long with a stove, turn the stove down as low as it will go and let simmer for 5-6 minutes then remove. Keep it covered and the rice will assorb the rest of water on it's own.

Idahoan Mashed Potato Flakes. Again, one package is enough for 2 depending on appetite. These packages only require 2 cups of boiling hot water added with no further cooking time needed.

All of the above single packages can be found in almost any grocery store and usually cost less then a dollar.

As for meat or other protein, considering this is only an overnight hike, add a couple of packages of Tuna or a couple of small cans of chicken, turkey etc. These each only weigh a few ounces and can be added to the above rice/noodles or potatoes. If you frequent fast food restaurants, be sure to snag some of the small single packs of Teriyaki, BBQ sauces etc as they can add flavor to all the above.

As for dinner veggies, on a one day hike, we usually skip altogether or bring a few baby carrots that can be munched on during the day or with dinner.

John Lubbock

#227980 - 07/17/11 08:09 PM Re: Camp food [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't tried the knorr/lipton stuff on a camp stove yet, but to add some flavor those pouches of chicken work well mixed in, they absorb some of the flavoring and add some to the rest. Then if you add in some vegetables as well it makes a whole meal. The chicken flavored rice package, the recipe on the back of it calls for peas but I stick in mixed peas and carrots sometimes too.

Have you ever tried powdered milk with any of the ones that require milk?

#227982 - 07/17/11 08:39 PM Re: Camp food [Re: Eugene]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I haven't tried the knorr/lipton stuff on a camp stove yet, but to add some flavor those pouches of chicken work well mixed in, they absorb some of the flavoring and add some to the rest. Then if you add in some vegetables as well it makes a whole meal. The chicken flavored rice package, the recipe on the back of it calls for peas but I stick in mixed peas and carrots sometimes too.

Have you ever tried powdered milk with any of the ones that require milk?

The Knorr/Lipton packages work well on a stove provided that you have a pot big enough. I have the Primus Litech Kettle Pot which is 1L capacity and it is enough to cook one package plus there is still plenty of room to add whatever else you want essentially making it a one pot meal.

As for the powdered milk suggestion. Yes this does work and the taste is not much different then real milk. Then again, we only drink 1% at home anyway. In any case, for a one day or overnight trip, we don't bother with packing powdered milk and the meals are planned without it. When we do take powdered milk, it is stored in a small container then mixed right into the Litech when needed.

John Lubbock

#227985 - 07/17/11 11:03 PM Re: Camp food [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Pilchards in Tomato Sauce with Chilli & Lime Quinoa and Basmati Rice.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsbury...Sauce_155g.html

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pri..._Rice_150g.html

Kipper and Moroccan couscous.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pri...edley_100g.html

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pri...r_Oil_190g.html

Chicken and Wild Mushroom Risotto (I suppose you could add a SPAM single, diced and sliced into the Risotto, but a small can off Chicken Breast would taste even better)

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsbury...sotto_120g.html

Fusilli pasta with Bolognese Extra Mushroom Sauce

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003TWU5OC/re...ASIN=B003TWU5OC

Camp Stovies.

Can of Corned Beef, dried potato ( Smash ) and Sage and Onion Stuffing mix.

Plus many more down at the supermarket or there is always an half cold MRE using a chemical heater bag.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/17/11 11:11 PM)

#227991 - 07/18/11 12:02 AM Re: Camp food [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
1. What are the things you like to eat a home?

Usually it is not too hard to pretty much duplicate what you usually eat for the outdoors, though there may be differences in taste and texture. If there is time, cook a batch or two of "camp" food at home to see if you can find some new favorites and determine what kind of spice or other add-ons best compliment the camp food.

2. Does one of you regularly cook at home?

If so, then make that person the camp chef. Cooking is a skill that is not going to be mastered literally overnight. If neither of you cook, then keep the menu extemely simple. One dish meals are probably best: stew, hot grain breakfast with fruit mixed in, etcetera.

If there is someone in your group who is skilled at camp cooking, then be a mule for them and take lessons by watching. Be their assistant and cleanup crew. What you want is a successful adventure for your son.

3. Do you really need to cook?

If you do not need to cut-chop-mix-measure-etcetera, then don't! Take whatever you want to eat ready to heat and eat. For a short adventure the weight penalty is not a significant concern. Take along favorite fruit and other snacks.

4. What does your son want to do?

Focus on a few high points which catch your son's imagination, and pretty much plan not to worry about much else. If your son wants to do a certain type of camp cooking, then focus on that - and consider letting him learn from an experienced camp cook - you do not have to try to be an instant expert. If your son could care less about how he feeds his face, then relax and get that done in the easiest way for you.

Have fun!

Edited by dweste (07/18/11 12:04 AM)

#227995 - 07/18/11 01:53 AM Re: Camp food [Re: dweste]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I agree with dweste, have some fun with this. Pre-appoint your son the chief chef, challenge him to plan a meal, take him out to buy the ingredients, etc.

A source of good one pot meals is on the freezer bag cooking site http://www.trailcooking.com/taxonomy/term/6%2B40 - I know that any of the pesto and linquine recipes are good, most of these in fact are easy for anyone to cook. If you're just going out for one night you can fudge on usual backpacking foods (corned beef, liptons etc) and cook with ingredients your son may be more accustomed to. Instead of dried, fruit bring some apples and cut them up for an appetizer - I always eat oranges on the trail. That kind of thing. Have some fun with it.

#227996 - 07/18/11 02:49 AM Re: Camp food [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I would start with a 2lb block of Velveeta fit into 2 large ziplok bags,1 doz.10" Flour tortillas,2-lg. cans of Chili Laredo,1-Texas sweet onion fit into 2 ziploks,1-carton frozen solid liquid eggs,2-single paks of SPAM,2-Snickers bars,Tang for drinkable Vit-C,Burritos are Always easy to prepare & eat & Kids love em'!A tortilla wrapped Snickers with a few slices of Velveeta heated over a flame,till it starts to bubble&ooze = A Wonderful & Delicious Dessert,Your son will remember,for the rest of his life! This kit should weigh around 6lbs Max.Have fun & save the healthy eatin' for home! smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 207 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.