Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#218195 - 03/01/11 06:15 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
[quote=Hikin_JimBlast or some other real scientist may need to correct the specifics, but basically it has to do with the wavelengths of radiation (such as light or heat) reflected or absorbed. HJ [/quote]

HJ,

You have been holding out on us, that is a very good explaination of the process. Are you sure you are not a closet scientist.

The best,

Jerry

#218197 - 03/01/11 06:21 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Sue.. what Hikin_Jim eloquently stated.. the term is "black body radiation"... that's why your car's radiator, and the heat exchange coil on the back of your refrigerator/freezer is painted black

#218205 - 03/01/11 08:58 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Blast or some other real scientist may need to correct the specifics, but basically it has to do with the wavelengths of radiation (such as light or heat) reflected or absorbed. HJ
HJ,

You have been holding out on us, that is a very good explaination of the process. Are you sure you are not a closet scientist.

The best,

Jerry
Well, my background is engineering which required a bit of hard science back when.

HJ

#218606 - 03/08/11 04:58 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

Well talk of the devil and he'll bite you! Just found a review of a 7" high one pint kelly kettle with a neoprene sleeve in March's Backpacker Magazine. Good idea to have the kettle double as a water bottle. But never understood the kelly kettle idea. Isn't a lot of heat wasted, going straight up the chimney? Do they work?
qjs

The double walled mini kettle is here- The mKettle! The mKettle is proven in the field and recommended by outdoor enthusiasts who are used to cycling, canoeing/kayaking, camping, or backpacking light where weight, size, and function are critical.

mKettles are In Stock and Shipping! Order directly or from one of our partners.

Designed and Made in the UK. The photo is by Ryan Jordan, Bozeman, MT, USA- Thank you.

#218607 - 03/08/11 05:56 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

Well talk of the devil and he'll bite you! Just found a review of a 7" high one pint kelly kettle with a neoprene sleeve in March's Backpacker Magazine. Good idea to have the kettle double as a water bottle. But never understood the kelly kettle idea. Isn't a lot of heat wasted, going straight up the chimney? Do they work?
qjs

The double walled mini kettle is here- The mKettle! The mKettle is proven in the field and recommended by outdoor enthusiasts who are used to cycling, canoeing/kayaking, camping, or backpacking light where weight, size, and function are critical.

mKettles are In Stock and Shipping! Order directly or from one of our partners.

Designed and Made in the UK. The photo is by Ryan Jordan, Bozeman, MT, USA- Thank you.

First, the principle is sound. The Kiwis (New Zealanders) have been using Thermettes since the 20's. The British got the idea from the Kiwis, and produced the Sirram Volcano. The Sirram Volcano was imported into Ireland where it became the Kelly Kettle. The Irish claim to have come up with the idea. A wee bit o' the Irish blarney methinks. All that to say that it's a proven design. The central chimney causes a draft which causes hotter, more efficient burning. Yes, some heat is wasted, but wood stoves generally do have some waste.

Second, though, the mKettle is a blatant rip off. The mKettle is a copy of the Backcountry Boiler, the creation of Devin Montgomery. There is speculation that the "M" in "mKettle" actually stands for "Montgomery Kettle," the original name of the Backcountry Boiler. The mKettle is being aggressively marketed. The Backcountry Boiler is just being sold by Mr. Montgomery, a law student in (I think) Pennsylvania. It's a shame that superior marketing appears to be depriving the innovative Mr. Montgomery of his intellectual property.

I'm sure that the people behind the mKettle will have a different slant on things -- although they have been notably silent about the issue.

The mKettle appears to be a solidly made product although it weighs more than the real Backcountry Boiler. The mKettle is also less expensive, although I personally won't buy one for ethical reasons. I support innovators and the type of cottage industry that Mr. Montgomery represents. I do not approve of someone copying Mr. Montgomery's work (even going so far as to call him to get details of the manufacturing under the guise of being a potential buyer) and then putting a cheap knock off on the market.

For the record, I have no affiliation with Mr. Montgomery or his product nor do I have any affiliation with the mKettle. The preceding has been strictly my opinion; I own it as such. I encourage others to investigate the facts for themselves.

HJ

#218615 - 03/08/11 11:37 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I want something like this http://www.anchorhocking.com/prodd_5048_cat_23_3_piece_set.html but stainless steel and with the markings pressed into it and a lid. For those recipes that say add 1 and 1/2 cup water, etc I can just fill to the line. I found a straight sided one but its hard to stir.

#219333 - 03/16/11 01:56 AM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia

But never understood the kelly kettle idea. Isn't a lot of heat wasted, going straight up the chimney? Do they work?
qjs

I have a kettle similar to the Kelly and it does work very well. With a normal billy only the bottom of the pot receives the heat and this head is dispersed via convection through the pot. With the Kelly style there is a huge surface area of pot exposed to the heat, so it boils more quickly and requires less fuel.

After using my kettle I wrap a handful of dry sticks in newspaper and stuff it into the base of the kettle and pop it back into the bag. Then next time I pull it out and light it and it will boil very quickly. Mine holds about 1.5 l. Its great for a quick cuppa in the mornings when we don’t want to light a big fire or bring out a stove. But it is quite bulky and heavy compared to other stoves, so we don’t bring it everywhere – depends on your circumstances.

Incidentally, back in the not so old olden days making a Kelly style kettle was a standard trade school activity for apprentices, so they were around for a long time before they were commercialized. Once tradies were out on a job, they could have a break and make a cuppa !

#219501 - 03/17/11 09:49 AM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: cliff]
Carbean Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
I, too, am a stove, mess kit gear hound and enjoyed your excellent post. In response to your suggestion that Nalgene containers may replace the ergonomically shaped standard plastic G.I. canteens that nest in our beloved canteen cups I offer the following:

A Nalgene canteen that fits the G.I. canteen cup! Bought two from Amazon myself.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Tritan-Oasis-Canteen-Re-Imagined/dp/B001RJTK9U][/url]

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Tritan-Oasis-Canteen-Re-Imagined/dp/B001RJTK9U

And a question if I may. Does anyone know if a canteen cup will nest within that stove stand from Rob at Canteenshop.com? Furthermore, will it all fit in a standard canteen cover?

#219515 - 03/17/11 01:36 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: Aussie]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Aussie

But never understood the kelly kettle idea. Isn't a lot of heat wasted, going straight up the chimney? Do they work?
qjs

I have a kettle similar to the Kelly and it does work very well. With a normal billy only the bottom of the pot receives the heat and this head is dispersed via convection through the pot. With the Kelly style there is a huge surface area of pot exposed to the heat, so it boils more quickly and requires less fuel.

After using my kettle I wrap a handful of dry sticks in newspaper and stuff it into the base of the kettle and pop it back into the bag. Then next time I pull it out and light it and it will boil very quickly. Mine holds about 1.5 l. Its great for a quick cuppa in the mornings when we don’t want to light a big fire or bring out a stove. But it is quite bulky and heavy compared to other stoves, so we don’t bring it everywhere – depends on your circumstances.

Incidentally, back in the not so old olden days making a Kelly style kettle was a standard trade school activity for apprentices, so they were around for a long time before they were commercialized. Once tradies were out on a job, they could have a break and make a cuppa !
The Kelly Kettle/Sirram Volcano/Thermette type design has been around for nearly 100 years and is a pretty proven design. It works well with wood fires, a bit less so when mounted on a stove.

HJ

#227845 - 07/14/11 04:19 PM Re: One Cup At A Time: Two New Canteen Cup Goodies. [Re: Eugene]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I want something like this http://www.anchorhocking.com/prodd_5048_cat_23_3_piece_set.html but stainless steel and with the markings pressed into it and a lid. For those recipes that say add 1 and 1/2 cup water, etc I can just fill to the line. I found a straight sided one but its hard to stir.
Will a crusader cup with a lid work, It has markings in litres ect.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 172 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
3 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.