Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#227720 - 07/12/11 06:30 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: comms]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: comms

I don't carry ibuprofen basically because I can't take it realize after typing above that I'm doubling up on the acetaminophen w/ the Tylenol and cold pills. So I'll probably take out the Tylenol and add some Advil.

Advil is a brand name for ibuprofen. If you can't take ibuprofen, you might want to stay away from Advil. . . smile

#227722 - 07/12/11 06:38 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
IzzyJG99,

Everything goes through the liver. It is all bad for it. It is just a matter of degrees. I prefer ibuprofen over acetaminophen.

#227724 - 07/12/11 06:51 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Crowe]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ But ibuprofen is not meant for the head. Some of us can get ridiculous headaches from things like the weather (pressure changes) and in any survival (or other) situation the head has to be straightened out first before anything else.

Let's face it though: if you know this about yourself, you wouldn't be piddling with OTC drugs, there's much better stuff and it's cheap.

Edit: forgot to mention: along with a spare house/car key and my wallet, a little container of Tylenol #1 equivalent is my essential EDC (OK, it does have a few non-OTC items in it if the light OTC dose doesn't work). Not having any of those "urban survival" items when I need them could lead to a very bad day for me.

Edited by cfraser (07/12/11 08:26 PM)

#227737 - 07/12/11 11:00 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Crowe]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I carry Benadryl(tm), acetaminophen, ibuprofen, Immodium(tm), and antacid tablets. Covers most of the everyday stuff.

#227742 - 07/13/11 12:15 AM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: MDinana]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
[quote=MDinana]Yeah, sure, you may decrease some of the damage of a heart attack...

It would be REALLY nice if G2 came as a powdered solution.

Your wish is my command!
http://www.powdermixdirect.com/G2-Powder-Sticks-p/fcg2000.htm?1=1&CartID=0

This gets more into the realm of food rather than meds, but I always carry a few packets as they weigh very little and work wonders for me. I've been toying with the combination of tanking up with G2 and magnesium/calcium (Rolaids NOT Tums) before the hike and before bedtime to ward off cramping. I have to do some more testing before I adopt this as a practise.

BTW, I was reading an article today that discussed regular dietary electrolytes. Apparently people who take too much sodium but not enough potassium are walking heart attack time bombs. http://www.canada.com/health/High+salt+potassium+early+death+Study/5088674/story.html
Potassium is available in a great many vegetables.

#227762 - 07/13/11 12:25 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: comms

I don't carry ibuprofen basically because I can't take it realize after typing above that I'm doubling up on the acetaminophen w/ the Tylenol and cold pills. So I'll probably take out the Tylenol and add some Advil.

Advil is a brand name for ibuprofen. If you can't take ibuprofen, you might want to stay away from Advil. . . smile

Umm...yeah I know that. As I stated I usually am handing out meds than taking them. Just b/c I don't take Ibu. doesn't mean I shouldn't carry it for someone who can.

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Slight hi-jack....

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
IzzyJG99,

Everything goes through the liver. It is all bad for it. It is just a matter of degrees. I prefer ibuprofen over acetaminophen.

I use a lot of ibuprofen myself but there's something that most people don't realize...

Ibuprofen is a lot harder on the kidneys than it is on the liver. Factor that into a situation where you're breaking down a lot of muscle tissue and you can find yourself in a hurt locker surprisingly fast.

There's a condition called rhabdomylosis that can be caused by periods of extereme physical exertion as well as both hyper and hypothermia (there are other thing's that can cause it as well but other than burns those are the ones that I've actually seen cause it) it can be pretty bad news if not recognized and treated.

...and now back to the thread

Long story short. I don't take Ibu. b/c of my issues with getting Rhabdo through extreme exertion and the damage its done to my kidneys. As an ultra-endurance athlete/triathlete I have to be VERY careful with my kidneys.

#228006 - 07/18/11 05:04 AM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Crowe]
SRMC Offline
Stranger

Loc: NorCal
Definitely be careful with the Ibuprofen. I was taking 10-12 200mg Ibuprofen tablets a day instead of large amounts of Vicodin. I ended up with multiple kidney stones. I now take it sparingly. It is, however, included in my FAK along with asprin and Tylenol.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (7point82), 595 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.