Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227693 - 07/12/11 07:45 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I ended up with one green one but it's almost a neon green. Should be pretty visible as well.

#227712 - 07/12/11 04:02 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
PSA.

I like the Spark-lite. Have for years. A couple years ago I switched over the the Ultimate Survival Sparkie b/c it provided more spark as its basically a one handed ferro rod.

The only complaint I had for time I carried it was the rod deployed all the time in my EDC bag. (It is spring loaded into the handle and a simple pinch at the base activates.) Otherwise it did a great job of starting dozens of impromptu fires.

Earlier this year, the 'striker' started to skip along the ferro rod causing a progressively worse percentage of spark per use, apparently I was smoothing out the the rod and as the 'striker' is set in place, its become harder to maintain enough contact for ignition.

I have since removed the Sparkie and put the Spark-Lite back in the pack as one of my redundant fire starting methods.

#227735 - 07/12/11 10:53 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: ]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
As Izzy stated he liked the sparklite for packing as do I.I had read somewhere (can't remember where though)was designed to take up the same space as four wooden matches.The sparklite can then be kept in a water proof match safe.You know those orange or olive green plastic ones.A sparklite and afew tinder quicks with some fish hooks and line in a match safe was many a soldiers last ditch kit.When it was invented it was during Viet Nam and this was high speed low drag stuff then....

BOATMAN
John

#227741 - 07/13/11 12:03 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: boatman]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I was at the sporting goods store today, and noticed they had Fire Lites, so I figured I would grab one and compare it with a Spark Lite.

The Fire Lite cost me $10, the Spark Lite I took out of one of my spare DR Pocket Survival Packs (though they typically go for around $8). Both were brand new, unused.

First thing I did was try striking each of them. While I don't have any way to truly measure their performance difference, visibly it didn't seem like one put out a better spark than the other. Then I put them next to each other:

The Fire Lite is a tiny bit larger in every dimension, but it also has rubber applied to each side, which I found made it a little easier to hold onto.

Next, I grabbed my trusty leatherman and broke each of them apart (there goes $20 whistle ):

The Spark Lite has one long ferro-rod, while the Fire Lite has three smaller ferro-rods. When I put them side by side, I noticed that the Fire-Lite's combined ferro-rods were a little longer than the spark-likes single rod. While that means it technically has the potential for more fires, I really doubt it's a huge difference. They're close enough that it's really splitting hairs.

Which would I buy? Well the Spark Lite costs around $8 and you typically get 8 little tinders with it. The Fire Lite costs around $10, and you only get 4 little tinders with it. Therefore, I feel the Spark-Lite is likely the better deal. Otherwise, I didn't notice anything about either that makes me feel one is significantly superior to the other. In fact, I replaced my Spark-Lite with another Fire-Lite that I bought with this one, just because it was available.

#227743 - 07/13/11 12:42 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Paul810
I was at the sporting goods store today, and noticed they had Fire Lites, so I figured I would grab one and compare it with a Spark Lite.
Next, I grabbed my trusty leatherman and broke each of them apart (there goes $20 whistle ):

Paul, thank you for sacrificing the sparkers and sharing it with us. It's good to know how things are put together.

JI, what characteristics about these two models has your interest... the size... one handed spark capability...
something else?

If it's size only, you can get a ferro rod and striker combo with about the same size package and get a lot more spark per strike.

With the UST Blastmatch, you get an enormous amount of spark with one hand. The rod rotates in the casing so you don't wear out one area.

I've got a few of the TAD Survival Sparks and like them for what they are, I also have several BlastMatch firestarters and others. Just wondered why you are limiting choice.

Edited by Basecamp (07/13/11 01:07 AM)

#227746 - 07/13/11 01:34 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Basecamp]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Basecamp
JI, what characteristics about these two models has your interest... the size... one handed spark capability...
something else?

Including what's in the PSP, I bought three Spark-Lites over the years. I lost one when I dropped it in the fire. I know it is advertised to start 1,000 fires. I recently saw this new product which looks a lot like the Spark-Lite but it is advertised to start 5,000 fires. I wondered why there was such a huge difference between two similar looking products.

Originally Posted By: Basecamp
I've got a few of the TAD Survival Sparks and like them for what they are, I also have several BlastMatch firestarters and others.

By the way, the TAD Survival Spark looks interesting but I can't find much information on their web site.

Edit: I found the information on the TAD Survival Spark I was looking for. In case you are interested, I wondered how the flint could be changed and where to find replacements.

Paul, you did not have to spend money to do so but your post is very informative. Thankyou.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (07/13/11 02:03 AM)

#227747 - 07/13/11 01:58 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Paul, you did not have to spend money to do so but your post is very informative. Thankyou.

No big deal, the money is well worth it for the knowledge gained. grin

#227748 - 07/13/11 02:34 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Paul810]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
I'll say thanks also. Posts like Paul810's are why the forums are a great resource. Now I don't have to go spend ~$20US to find that out.

I don't have any experience with the AMK product, but I will say that bigger is not always worse for PSK supplies. Small packs easier, but can be harder to manipulate, especially with cold, numb hands. I've had my hands get so cold that I couldn't squeeze the brake levers on a mountain bike, and that takes a lot less dexterity than turning a tiny metal wheel on a piece of plastic. I'm not sure that the added size, makes that much difference here but it is something to think about.

Now if we can just talk Paul810 into soaking his hands in ice water for several minutes and comparing the two products... wink

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

No big deal, the money is well worth it for the knowledge gained. grin

#227755 - 07/13/11 04:16 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Paul810]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm wondering whether the rubber strips on the Fire Lite are extractable for tinder purposes.I wrap a few rubberbands around my Spark-Lites as my hands are a tad large,& the rubberbands make xlnt tinder making the Spark-Lite, duo-purpose!I also Thank You for the breakdown of info,Regardless!

#227757 - 07/13/11 04:32 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Paul810]
Frisket Offline
Addict

The Spark Lite has one long ferro-rod, while the Fire Lite has three smaller ferro-rods. When I put them side by side, I noticed that the Fire-Lite's combined ferro-rods were a little longer than the spark-likes single rod. While that means it technically has the potential for more fires, I really doubt it's a huge difference. They're close enough that it's really splitting hairs.

As Anyone who owns a zippo would say to this, There is a major issue I have with haven't the multiple smaller "flints". When a zippos Flint is "finished" it still has the potential to make quite the few sparks, The only issue is it becomes small and jams/spits out From the zippo. This means your loosing A decent amount of sparks per individual flint when it pops out around the end of its life. This is just my observations hopefully Im not to wrong lol.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.