Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#227512 - 07/09/11 03:44 AM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Dweste, not the answer I ever expected but good thinking!

John Lubbock

#227514 - 07/09/11 04:38 AM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: Susan]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I would burn one of the tires. Thick black smoke will always get attention. I know that is not the environmentally correct thing to do, but my life is worth considerably more than a few choking squirrels and birds.

I concur with the "shame on you" sentiment for not letting someone know where you were going.

#227517 - 07/09/11 09:28 AM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: Teslinhiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Dweste, not the answer I ever expected but good thinking!

The value of this forum is to put the brain trust to work; at least you get a variety of thoughtful responses - and maybe some other kinds!

#227519 - 07/09/11 09:58 AM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: Susan]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Stay. Decision is probably colored by the knowledge that in real life my SO and son are not up to that walk and I won't be leaving them.

There is also an old staying that covers this situation pretty well. It is better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I'll stick with my current set of problems and work hard to be found before I go out and take on a new, maybe harder to solve set of problems.

-Eric

#227521 - 07/09/11 11:07 AM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: Susan]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
in a nutshell: if rescue is at all likely, i'll wait for it(maybe move to an open area or hilltop, but that's just meeting them half way, so to speak); if it's not, no point staying put(barring the area being a gold mine of resources).

Edited by Erik_B (07/09/11 11:10 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#227522 - 07/09/11 12:05 PM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Susan

So, do you grab your gear and head out, or start a smokey signal fire and wait for rescue, possibly diverting aid to yourselves from others who might really need it?

Speaking as an old SAR guy, I don't think any rescuer would consider time spent assisting you as time spent frivolously. Many times we went out, typically looking for overdue people, finding them working their way back home, behind schedule for any of various reasons, but definitely still functioning. They would have gotten home on their own, and all we did was resolve the anxiety and provide a little encouragement, a drink of water, and a bite to eat. None of us ever considered our time wasted.

Instances of "SAR triage" were rare in my experience. When they occur, you deal with them as best you can....

#227605 - 07/11/11 01:44 AM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I thought about these two scenarios today. DS and I went pseudo-camping this weekend. (We did a "what if?" weekend with my mom to get her better prepped.)

My mom's trailer was at one end of the approx. 3 hour drive, and home was at the other. We had to take 2 major roads and 3 minor to get there. Although a pretty straight forward route, it's sporatically populated (by people and black bears) territory.

DS asked if we could explore some sideroads on the way home, and see if we could find a new route.

We had a backroads map book, our hiking kits, water bottles, tent, sleeping bags, thermarests and snacks so if we had a break-down we could have stayed or walked to the nearest town.

Problem #1 - no cel phone. We couldn't call DH or my mom to tell them where we were going and we also couldn't call for help.

My solution? Stick to the plan and have to make the choice.

Not sure what I would do in your scenario, Sue. I'm a play it safe girl, and both sides of your coin have inherant risks. DH would probably want to hike out and I'd likely sway that way too if it was just the two of us. We leave a huge breadcrumb trail along the way though.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227634 - 07/11/11 04:32 PM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: Susan]
GettingThere Offline

A similar scenario was covered in a recent episode of "Dual Survival" (or what I like to call "The Survival Odd Couple"). The two were stranded on a logging road in Maine, and had to decide what to do with limited supplies.

The episode highlighted two necessary pieces of information that are not presented here, but could be easily determined by direct observation. First, is the area where the vehicle is stuck clean and open? If not, the smoke from signal fires will likely be diffused by the tree cluster, and rescuers will have difficulty locating you by air. Second, is there any indication that the road has been recently travelled? Looking at the road beyond the fallen tree could reveal such signs.

For me, an enclosed area means I'm walking, regardless of the road. An open area and recent road activity means I'm definitely staying. An open area with little activity means I will try my best with a signal fire and recon the area for the first 24 hours. I imagine the quality of the nearby water will be the deciding factor, since I have no means of purifying it. Once the bottled water runs out, I'll want to start walking towards civilization (and antibiotics) so I can get rid of the critters I ingested from the little streams as soon as possible.

#227644 - 07/11/11 05:05 PM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: GettingThere]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GettingThere
A similar scenario was covered in a recent episode of "Dual Survival" (or what I like to call "The Survival Odd Couple"). The two were stranded on a logging road in Maine, and had to decide what to do with limited supplies.

At home we DVR this show. The nickname my wife and I use for it is "Brokeback Survival."

Quote:
Once the bottled water runs out, I'll want to start walking towards civilization (and antibiotics) so I can get rid of the critters I ingested from the little streams as soon as possible.

In my mind, I'm likely to start moving before the clean water runs out.

#227664 - 07/11/11 09:08 PM Re: Staying or leaving? Decision, decision... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Slight thread hijack, but may turn out to be eventually related to this thread.

Just read this news story and could help but think of Sue's scenario. It will interesting to see if any real life parallels develop here, if and when the couple are found...

The RCMP in Smithers, B.C., are searching for two newlyweds from Britain who disappeared after leaving on a backcountry camping trip nearly three weeks ago.

Caroline and Ben Davies arrived in B.C. in June on a visit to family. The couple, who are both experienced in the outdoors, then borrowed a truck to head north toward Alaska to do some camping.

Map of the area. There is some very rugged country up in that region.

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.