The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#226622 - 06/25/11 01:59 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: KYNabob]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
When I cook, I guarantee flavor. Been that way for thirty years, ain't stopping now.http://forums.equipped.org/images/icons/default/wink.gif

#226627 - 06/25/11 04:30 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: gonewiththewind]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Of course, free market capitalism and open markets will solve all the issues associated with food and food production. Or not.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/04/27/how_goldman_sachs_created_the_food_crisis

http://developeconomies.com/development-...-goldman-sachs/

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/com...on-2016088.html

None of them are very sympathetic to the poor, struggling capitalists as they scrimp and save to keep bread on their tables. I found it interesting to compare an contrast the different articles and how they use the same basic matrix of facts.

#226635 - 06/25/11 01:38 PM Re: Global food shortages [Re: NightHiker]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
It sure looks like the wars of the future are going to be more over food production than oil.

As quietly as it's kept, we are fighting aggressively over oil right now.

#226643 - 06/25/11 08:56 PM Re: Global food shortages [Re: Arney]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Arney
Over time, higher prices should lead to more production

Ah. Important snag there. Increased production isn't always possible. There is a limited supply of land suitable to grow wheat on. That supply of land isn't magically getting bigger when they prices are ricing. There is also a limit to how much you can produce on that piece of land.

BTW - I'm not saying anything about if it is possible to increase today's production or not. My point is that there will be a very hard and real limit to the production of any specific agricultural product - and no economic price/demand mantra will be able to raise that limit.

The classical price-demand-production-supply relationship is a wonderful mechanism when it works and a real [censored] when it doesn't.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (06/25/11 08:58 PM)

#226651 - 06/26/11 01:23 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: gonewiththewind]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Has anybody made the soylent green comment yet? If so, nevermind.

#226654 - 06/26/11 01:40 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: MostlyHarmless]
LED Offline
Veteran

Speaking of wheat, why don't they invest in easy to grow plants like Quinoa? Far more nutrient dense and healthy than wheat anyway.

#226656 - 06/26/11 02:11 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: gonewiththewind]
Pete Offline
Veteran

It's very likely we are going to see food crises, and possibly food riots, in some third world countries in the next decade. In fact, there's a good argument that some of the uprisings recently in the Arab world are partly spurred on by the fact that many people are struggling to survive. The relative cost of food in those countries (as a percentage of the typical family budget) is much higher than it is in the USA. I expect to see some marginal countries (esp. in places like Africa) become lawless states run by warlords i.e. more countries like Somalia.

It seems to me that there are a lot of creative things that can be done to boost food production. But I'm not sure the investment $$ are really there to make the major changes necessary.

We'll see.

Pete #2

#226664 - 06/26/11 05:37 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: LED]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: LED
Speaking of wheat, why don't they invest in easy to grow plants like Quinoa? Far more nutrient dense and healthy than wheat anyway.

Easy answer?? It doesn't sell.

Pragmatic answer? Perhaps it doesn't store or transport as well. It's all well and good if, for example, the US can produce 50% of the world's Miracle Grain #1, but it rots in a week - half the world will never see it.

My best friend's wife has a myriad of health problems (some are probably self-induced, but I digress). Anyway, they live on a variety of odd grains - corn is probably the most normal of they food staples they eat. But it's very hard for them to find non-wheat, non-rice foods. Maybe in downtown LA it wouldn't be so difficult, but up in eastern WA, it's a hassle.

#226669 - 06/26/11 10:00 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: gonewiththewind]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Driving as I do regularly through Minnesota, WI, and IA farm country, I noticed a lot of new galvanized large grain storage bins popping up recently on farms everywhere. Some big co-ops have also added capacity. In some cases, they cut the bin in the middle, raise the top, and insert another steel section to increase its capacity. I am even seeing shiney new domes on top of old traditional masonery silos. The grain industry seems to be gearing up for something. There are so many of them, that I have to believe that the newly-increased ability to store grains will, while good for farmers, drive up the overall cost of food and ethanol at the consumer level.

I wasn't sure if my impressions were correct, so I looked up grain storage. Even though the graph does not show 2010-2011, the trnd is apparent and confirms my hunch...IA farmers have recently added millions of bushels of increased grain storage capacity.

Attachments
Grain storage in Iowa.gif

#226671 - 06/26/11 10:29 AM Re: Global food shortages [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Of course, free market capitalism and open markets will solve all the issues associated with food and food production. Or not. None of them are very sympathetic to the poor, struggling capitalists as they scrimp and save to keep bread on their tables. I found it interesting to compare an contrast the different articles and how they use the same basic matrix of facts.

Of course, not all farmers agree on the tactic of storing grain for market. In fact, all of this troubles farmer I.M. Slakinov, an old-country social-ist. Old Ivan has two pigs and six chickens that forage for themselves in his weed-covered farm lot.

Even though social-ism is the most thoroughly tested and soundly disproven social idea ever devised by humankind, and capitalism has produced the highest standard of living for the most participants in human history, Old Ivan still feels that if there is all this extra grain around, the gov't should take it away from the greedy farmers who produced it and put it in his empty bin. After all, he's poor.

Mods: my apologies, but why isn't 'capitalist' censored when PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. (social-ist) is?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.