The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#227600 - 07/11/11 12:56 AM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Not mine Paul. It looks like I paid $500 for it, which I did, and it gets a little rustier every day. You have to have a key in the shift lock to get it in gear, and a few days ago somebody backed into at the grocery store and dented the front quarter panel and the driver's door wouldn't open.

It's name is Gus.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227608 - 07/11/11 02:04 AM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: bacpacjac]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
You would actually be surprised.

Most of the time they don't care about the car itself, they just want to steal whatever is easiest and strip off whatever they can. Whatever the can't use or don't want then gets sold for scrap. A $500 car can put a few grand in their pocket pretty quick.

Speaking of which, I had an old K5 blazer that I used to use as a plow truck. The thing was a total rust bucket that was beat to crap. When I decided to replace it, as a whole truck, the scrap yard was going to give me $250 for it. So, I instead decided to part out what I could and just sell them the shell. Would you believe I got $100 just for the seats? Never mind the engine, trans, wheels, rear, ect. Then I brought the body and frame back to the scrap yard and they still gave me nearly $150 for it. When all was said and done I made more on that truck than I paid for it. crazy

#227615 - 07/11/11 07:02 AM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Old vehicles are also stolen to commit crimes. They go half a mile or so, then dump it and take off on foot, or in another vehicle.

Around here, they use them to rob mail boxes-- if they're seen and reported, the license plate is traced back to the old owner, who had reported the vehicle stolen, and the law is no closer to finding the perps.

Sue

#227617 - 07/11/11 12:30 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: Paul810]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Paul810
Speaking of which, I had an old K5 blazer that I used to use as a plow truck. The thing was a total rust bucket that was beat to crap. When I decided to replace it, as a whole truck, the scrap yard was going to give me $250 for it. So, I instead decided to part out what I could and just sell them the shell. Would you believe I got $100 just for the seats? Never mind the engine, trans, wheels, rear, ect.

For future reference, how did you do this? Through Craigslist?

Da Bing

#227645 - 07/11/11 05:05 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
widget Offline
Addict

I paid almost $300 for a spare key for my Land Rover. But I too will not go on trip without a spare car key!

#227657 - 07/11/11 07:29 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: Bingley]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley

For future reference, how did you do this? Through Craigslist?

Yup, craigslist and ebay.

I also sold a couple of snowmobiles on ebay not that long ago. The day I listed them, a guy called me from NY state that night, said he really wanted them for vintage snowmobile racing. He drove down the 6 hours the next morning with his trailer to pick them up. The whole process took less than 24 hours, which amazed me.

#227879 - 07/15/11 11:30 AM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Locking keys inside the car is becoming more of a rarity in modern cars. For example, its almost impossible to do so in my old 97 BMW. If you push the door lock button down with the door open and shut the door, it simply unlocks itself. It can only be locked with the key from the outside or the fob with the door shut. I can't even lock the keys in the truck as the lock incorporates a push button that can only be double locked with the key or the fob with the trunk shut. I must believe more modern cars are incorporating this 14 year old technology. Probably worth the time to test your current ride and see if it has an idiot resistant door lock system.

#227885 - 07/15/11 05:19 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: ]
widget Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: widget
I paid almost $300 for a spare key for my Land Rover. But I too will not go on trip without a spare car key!

I had to take my car in cause I was hearing some rattling. Loose fitting on the exhaust. Warranty and all that. Anywho I asked what the price was for a "Full Key" for my Corolla Sport XRS. Toyota's switched over to the keyless fob being integrated into the key. So you've got a chipped key with a keyless entry built in. For a set (They give you 2 plus 1 chipped valet key when you buy the cars) it cost $500.

I can see the obvious benefit of chipped keys. No chip, no signal and the engine stays locked.

But God help you if you lose your keys.

My Rover had the keyless entry built into the key and I actually paid over $400 for the key. I also have a '10 Toyota Corolla S and I promise not to lose any of the keys! Which reminds me, when I bought the car it has a sat radio antenna on the roof, a Sat radio button on the radio and silly me, I ASSumed it had sat radio. Nope, I called and asked (every Toyota dealer in town) how much to add the tuner?? $500. Seems a standard theme. Ok, I just plug my XM/Sirus Roady2 into the AUX jack and throw the little mag antenna on the football field size dash and away I go! Total cost? $0, hah!

Edited by widget (07/15/11 05:20 PM)

#227892 - 07/15/11 08:16 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Months ago my wife went out to get something out of the trunk of my Nissan. She came back in the house carrying her stuff and announced that she couldn't get the trunk closed. She said when she closed the trunk the car beeped at her and the trunk opened back up. wink

I asked her where her keys were and she started checking pockets. We walked outside and there they were, laying in the trunk. When she had reached in to pick up her package the keys had slipped out of her hand and were laying just inside the trunk where you couldn't see them easily.

#227899 - 07/15/11 11:21 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I defeated the 'idiot proof' system.

One 30 degree below zero F morning in International Falls, MN (Frostbite Falls to you Rocky and Bullwinkle fans) I decided that I needed to warm up the car before driving. I separated the key from the fob thinking I could lock the car and let it run for a while while I downed some hot coffee in the motel lobby, and then unlock it with the fob. I started the car, manually locked it, and shut the door leaving the key in the ignition.

I found out when I came back out that the fob does not work while the car is running.

I now have another key with me at all times, and a touch of frostbite in my left pinkie.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.