Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#227245 - 07/05/11 01:58 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: LED]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: LED
Nice, two triangular bandages. Those sure come in handy. I'd also suggest a SAM splint, irrigation syringe, plenty of 4X4's, maybe a couple of 3-4" gauze rolls, and 2 rolls of tape ... Also, a small section of Tyvek Homewrap makes a nice, lightweight ground tarp. That would protect your mylar sleeping bag and wool blanket from getting soggy. I recently changed my emergency shelter system. I ditched my disposable poncho and garbage bag for a small UL silnylon tarp (picked up on sale), a section of tyvek, and an AMK heatsheet.

Thanks LED! First Aid and shelter are 2 of my concerns. It's so easy to carry too much. I'm back to the ponchos, heat sheet and blanket. There's a mylar blanket it the FAK, I'm thinking that that stays as medical, which I can suppliment with what I have if needed.

In the colder months I'll switch to something more substantial.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227247 - 07/05/11 02:03 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I 'd carry 2 fleece blankets for the same weight as 1 wool one.

I've been debating wool vs fleece, Teacher. Wool retains more heat and is useable around a campfire, but fleece is lighter and dries really face. Decisions, decisions!

#227252 - 07/05/11 02:29 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: 6pac]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: 6pac
"-Baby wipes and TP? Pick one. Unless you have diapers to change or raging hemorrhoids, ditch the wipes."

This made me blow a snot bubble!!!

Glad I could help
grin

Oh, and Bacpacjac, I hope we're all discussing a non-winter load! Obviously your winter kit will be much more robust. Maybe that would be a good post too in a few more months. If nothing else, I'd probably learn from it. When I was up in Michigan (which is practically Canada, coming from this California boy), my winter kit was my summer kit with gloves and an extra pair of socks. Probably not the best overall, but it got the job done.

Edited by MDinana (07/05/11 02:34 AM)

#227257 - 07/05/11 06:12 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Most definitely keep the Wool,AKA-Canadian Cotton,W(wool)=Warm,C(cotton)=Cool,F(fleece)=Farce if you should get it wet & have to use it!Keep the Hooahhs(wet wipes) along with the TP,It's a Major morale booster to be Clean & Strong,as opposed to Strong Smelling!Keep Everything you originally have listed,cut the load in 1/2,& Tell the ol'boy(Husfriend) to get the Lead out & Hump like a Grunt!Tell him,Take the z outa' Lazy on these excursions,& when we get back home we'll make good use of the rest!:)Like the rest of the human race,we gotta' work for it!Come on Now,Dollar waitin' on a dime!:)

#227262 - 07/05/11 10:13 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: MDinana]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana

Oh, and Bacpacjac, I hope we're all discussing a non-winter load! Obviously your winter kit will be much more robust. Maybe that would be a good post too in a few more months. If nothing else, I'd probably learn from it. When I was up in Michigan (which is practically Canada, coming from this California boy), my winter kit was my summer kit with gloves and an extra pair of socks. Probably not the best overall, but it got the job done.

This is most definitely a summer kit. Things need to be much more robust for Canadian winters. I'll start repacking again in a couple months. One of the challenges I have is adjusting to our couple months of summer. Winter is always in the back of my mind.

#227279 - 07/05/11 01:58 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Wool retains more heat and is useable around a campfire, but fleece is lighter and dries really face. Decisions, decisions!

During the summer months I use a Vango Venom 200 Square Sleeping Bag, which can be fully unzipped to form a down blanket.

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/lightweight_Vango_Venom_200_Square_Sleeping_Bag_.html

It is used in conjuction with a Thermarest neoair short sleeping pad. If used with a lightweight bivvy bag the combination will still weigh less than a Wool blanket (I'm assuming around 1.6 Kg) and will easily outperform it for sleep comfort in colder weather conditions.

#227282 - 07/05/11 03:04 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Would you consider posting your now much-revised list? [I am having a bit of a hard time following all the posts.]

Thank you.

#227285 - 07/05/11 03:23 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
If you are looking at replacing the AAA Maglite, I'd recommend taking a look at the Fenix E01 for $15. I've been using one for a while now and have been very happy with it.

While the Preon ReVO seems to be very cool and loaded with extra features and capabilities, at $47 its a bit more than I'd be willing to pay for a small flashlight.

Actually, for only a bit more than the price of the Prion ReVO, I was able to get each member of my family their own E01 for their lanyard or keychain (and only one has been lost so far!). The lower price also makes losses more managable smile.

For size comparison, I found the following picture with both a Maglite Solitaire and a Fenix E01 in a review for the E01:

According to the specs I found for the E01, the E01 and the ReVO are pretty much the same size (2.8" x .5").

#227288 - 07/05/11 04:00 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Denis
If you are looking at replacing the AAA Maglite, I'd recommend taking a look at the Fenix E01 for $15. I've been using one for a while now and have been very happy with it.

I have several E01s. They've got a very long runtime and are practically bombproof. At the price they can't be beat, especially for a backup light. The downsides are that some find the tint (noticably purplish) to be objectionable, and there's only one mode.

#227289 - 07/05/11 04:17 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dweste
Would you consider posting your now much-revised list? [I am having a bit of a hard time following all the posts.]

Thank you.

Sure thing Dweste!

Here it is, for summer day hikes and impromptu overnights, with DS and DH:

ON-BODY
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and firesteel in sheath
-Lanyard with Fox 40, Gerber Vise mini tool, firesteel and LED
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, SAK Spartan, extra duct tape, extra nylon cord, emerg poncho and bandana

NAVIGATION
-Local maps & Silva compass

LIGHT
-LED headlamp & extra batteries

FIRST AID
-AMK .5 FAK with extra gauze, pressure bandage, tiny bottle of purelle and 2 triangulars

SHARPS
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

SHELTER
-2 disposable rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

WATER/FOOD
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni/Jerky sticks
-Hot chocolate
*Food can be added before each trip

FIRE
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

MISC
-Bug spray (spray can & wipes)
-Suncreen
-lip balm
-Toilet paper (about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll, inner tube removed)
-travel size pack of baby wipes
-cel phone (non-activated, with SIM card for 911 only)
-bear bell
-small air horn
-OTC meds (Tylenol, Gravol, Benedryl, Claritin, immodium)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.