Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#227456 - 07/08/11 09:52 AM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: Bingley]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Small size and portable vs. power for outages that last more than a few days may represent attributes that cannot be reconciled. I live in hurricane alley and have toyed with various options. By far the simplest, most dependable, and most robust for power delivery is an easily obtainable 12 volt 7.2ah SLA battery carried in something like this. It is a bit heavy, but it is very portable. Simply add the 12 volt cell phone vehicle charger of your choice and charge away -- for a long, long time. SLA batteries have low self-discharge, have a long useful life, and are relatively easy to charge. When the battery finally dies(a few years if cared for properly), just replace it with another one.

#227458 - 07/08/11 10:29 AM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: Bingley]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
AFLM,
Thanks for the information on the New Trent iDual-Port Pack IMP50D. I'm going to have to pick one of those up!

#227464 - 07/08/11 02:27 PM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: Bingley]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

I use the Energizer Energi To Go product. It optimally uses two AA Lithium Ultimates (E91), although reportedly AA alkalines will work. The model I purchased has mini and micro USB connectors.

Woot had them on sale about a month ago and I picked up six of them. To be clear, for me they are a emergency use item, not for regular phone charging. In this use, the lithiums are a good fit (cost/shelf life factors).

#227471 - 07/08/11 03:26 PM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Thanks for the clarification. To follow up -- do you expect to have ready access to vehicles that operate on 12VDC? And, do you have a standard computer USB charging cable? If 'yes' on both counts, you may choose to add a 12V-to-USB plug to your kit, readily available for under $5.

Yes, I already have a power converter with USB plug. In fact, I got it with this very purpose in mind. But I feel like some other power source would be useful, too. One of threats where I live is tornadoes, and cars can get destroyed.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. On a general note, the more I read our forum, the more impressed I am by the knowledge, civility, and the writing skills of our participants. This is a nice place.

Da Bing

#227515 - 07/09/11 04:45 AM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: celler]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Cellar, will the set-up you suggested also work as an emergency recharge unit for an IPad 2? Also, how do you recharge the battery? Can you do it from a car lighter type socket or do you need an inverter? Is a solar recharge reasonable frm a cost prospective?

#227518 - 07/09/11 09:39 AM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: Bingley]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I use a powerxtender by iGo. It uses 2 AA batteries and has changeable "tips" so I can use it with different phones/devices. It has worked pretty well for several different types of cell phones, including a razr, blackberry, samsung, and iPhone, and iPad.

-Eric

#227523 - 07/09/11 02:33 PM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: acropolis5]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Cellar, will the set-up you suggested also work as an emergency recharge unit for an IPad 2? Also, how do you recharge the battery? Can you do it from a car lighter type socket or do you need an inverter? Is a solar recharge reasonable frm a cost prospective?

I don't have an Ipad, but I see no reason why a 7.2ah battery could not do the job with your cigarette lighter adapter.

I have a small 500ma manual charger that I salvaged from another setup that I use to charge the battery. However, I have been looking at one of these for simpler charging.

I have not experimented with solar. If necessary, I plan to recharge the battery during the day with a Honda 4kw generator.

#227527 - 07/09/11 03:38 PM Re: Battery-powered smart phone charger [Re: Eric]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Eric
I use a powerxtender by iGo. It uses 2 AA batteries and has changeable "tips" so I can use it with different phones/devices. It has worked pretty well for several different types of cell phones, including a razr, blackberry, samsung, and iPhone, and iPad.

-Eric

2nd on that unit. I got one for my nephew's grad. You know kids and their electronics, they never anticipate so they are always away from an outlet without a full charge. It's on the smaller side and uses 2 AA ubiquitous batteries.

I have a 75 watt power inverter in the car so I can charge up any of my personal electronics.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.