Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227377 - 07/07/11 01:17 AM The heap of bad purchases
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
We all have things we regretted purchasing.

Which items did you purchase to enhance your EDC, BOB, etc, that just didn't make the grade? Now it sets on a shelf with other stuff that is destined to set on a shelf, or worse.

#227378 - 07/07/11 01:27 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: GarlyDog]
widget Offline
Addict

I bought a Snugpak Sleeka 35 pack on eBay a year or so ago. Definately the worst pack I ever owned. It does not fit my height, probably won't fit anyone over 5 ft 6 in. The overall quality was less than some comparable priced packs. It is a visual copy of a Karrimor Sabre 35 pack, but not even close to the same quality and not much cheaper than the Karrimor either. I usually don't buy anything I haven't really looked at but all I had to go by on this one was the pictures and discription.
I planned on using this as a daypack year-round but it hangs in the garage now and I use a Camelbak Talon pack. Live and learn.

#227380 - 07/07/11 01:55 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: GarlyDog]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Zippo Blu Lighter, Vargo Triad Alcohol Stove (both completely unreliable) and a Leatherman Core (tips of the needle nose pliers pinged off). The LM core has been relegated to fishing tackle duties after filing down the pliers. The Leatherman Skeletool CX was a bit of a let down as well considering the cost (I dislike the dangerous serrated blade and limited tools).

Otherwise there hasn't been many other products that I have found to be inferior except for an expensive SIGG Thermo Ring Line Bottle, which was basically useless as a vacuum flask.

Edit

I forgot about the Buck Camp Axe - There are some UK retailers selling this mediocre axe for an unbelievable $85, when you can get a Gransfors Bruks for the same price.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/07/11 02:24 AM)

#227381 - 07/07/11 02:00 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: GarlyDog]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Not so much regrets, however the eternal quest for the right psk carry bag is never ending. Over the years I have spent a tidy amount of money in this quest and have many, many bags, single shoulder sling packs, small backpacks etc to outfit a scout troop...and then some. Along with this, I am somewhat of an over organizer and always on the hunt for the right container or case to store kit items and also have too many of these sitting and collecting dust.

John Lubbock

#227393 - 07/07/11 06:14 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: GarlyDog]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Not a "bad" purchase per se but bad timing; over the last three weeks I picked up four new Mora knives. As you may remember my dad passed away last week. My sister brought me the first half of his knife collection, five large boxes. Two boxes were just Moras! He had at least 35-40 of 'em.

#227395 - 07/07/11 10:00 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Not a "bad" purchase per se but bad timing; over the last three weeks I picked up four new Mora knives. As you may remember my dad passed away last week. My sister brought me the first half of his knife collection, five large boxes. Two boxes were just Moras! He had at least 35-40 of 'em.

Like father, like son. smile

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227397 - 07/07/11 10:34 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: GarlyDog]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Teslinhiker...you should see my holster drawer.. and the second gun safe too smile

Edited by LesSnyder (07/07/11 10:35 AM)

#227398 - 07/07/11 10:39 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: Phaedrus]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Have fun sorting through those, and 'oil the joints' on the folders. You may want to invest in or make a knife opener.

http://www.hand-tools.com/product-detail.php?prodnum=BRK-RR1092

#227399 - 07/07/11 10:51 AM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: GarlyDog]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I spend each winter, all winter upgrading and reorganizing backpack, belt pack, and two truck kits. My 'reserve' pile consists of mostly items that I upgraded or replaced for other reasons:

several Nalgenes containing BPA
plastic ponchos
cheap aluminum camp cookware
a variety of pouches and totes
flashlights of various sizes and types
hats and more hats

#227401 - 07/07/11 01:11 PM Re: The heap of bad purchases [Re: GarlyDog]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Cheap holsters are almost always a waste of money. So are cheap flashlights (with an exception made for fauxtons, which I give as gifts). I bought a cheap tent that lasted almost four trips (I say almost because I threw it out when we struck camp the fourth time).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.