The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#227290 - 07/05/11 04:18 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Denis and Chaos. I'm going flashlight shopping on the weekend!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227291 - 07/05/11 04:22 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts, YMMV smile

Quote:

ON-BODY:
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and firesteel in sheath
-Lanyard with Fox 40, Gerber Vise mini tool, firesteel and LED
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, mag block with ferro rod and SAK

For PSK, I think the mini bic and mag block are enough fire. I think the Kick, Vise, and Sak are a bit much, I don't think the Vise is bringing much to the table, I would stick to the Kick and SAK, though I hope the SAK has scissors, which are handy sometimes. The mini-Mag you may want to upgrade, there are superior options for the size/weight/battery, but it is up to you and what you are comfortable.
Quote:
NAVIGATION:
-Local maps & Silva compass

Nothing wrong with that, especially since Ritter PSK has a backup compass. Try to waterproof map when possible, or store in waterproof container.
Quote:
LIGHT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries

A solid addition, especially to a daypack. Keep the extra-batteries to a minimum, with only maybe 1 extra set, use freshly charged rechargeables for the primary battery load, that way, you know are starting with a full charge.
Quote:

FIRST AID:
-AMK .5 FAK with extra gauze, pressure bandage and 2 triangulars
I would add some Tick Tweezers (I like these better than AMK's tweezers), both for ticks and splinters,some benadryl, for critter bites that give a bad reaction. An ACE bandage for a sprain. I might only take 1 triangular as I don't anticipate major gashes (but you never know), and I can improvise a pressure dressing with the bandanas, think about the accidents that are most likely to happen and plan accordingly.

Quote:

SHARPS:
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

I have no really problems with this, a fixed is better, but a folder is sufficient, and a Sierra is good for gathering wood and making shelter. I might add a metal bladedtrowel, as it can dig cat holes, firepits, channel water away from shelter, dig out root vegetables, etc, but it is not an absolute necessity.
Quote:

SHELTER:
-2 rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

I really think this is too much. I would go with 1 poncho and 1 groundsheet (tyvek, garbage bag, painter's tarp, etc). The poncho will keep you dry, and the sheet will waterproof a shelter. The Woolblanket is alot for a daypack. a Watchcap and down vest would be better for warmth and less bulky, depending on the temps. I would lose the blanket, add a cap, down or fleece vest, work gloves (hand protection good), and a spare of wool socks (wet feets bad) and undies (accidents do happen) in a small stuffsack. Imagine your temporary shelter, and your extended shelter (and then practice them). For a night or two, you can away with a sitting on a groundcloth under a tree nested in a poncho and heatsheet (especially with the vest,gloves, and cap, and especially if you stuff the area with leaves or pine needles), in most conditions this should suffice. If you need anything more elaborate, you can construct something with the saw and sheet. You may want to add a FEW nails and tent stakes (like 4 nails and 2 stakes) to help secure lines.

Quote:

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni sticks
-Hot chocolate
Food can be added before each trip, but I think I'll add some Cliff bars and jerky to be better prepared.

Looks good, I would add a nesting stainless steel cup and some teabags, though I guess you can also brew the kleen kanteen, but I believe in easy warm liquids. A piece of aquarium tubing (for water collection) and a small sieve with a coffee filter or three or cheese cloth for filtering particulates can make water collection and consumption easier. I would add some hydration tables or electrolyte mix in case of dehydration, and a pack of koolaid (crystallite, etc) to kill the taste of treated water.
Quote:

FIRE:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

Birthday candles can melt, be sure to bag them. I am a big fan of the shoe polish tin with lint and petroleum jelly, (though a bag of lint and boot polish is pretty damn good too) but go with what you are comfortable with.
Quote:

MISC:
-Bug spray (spray can & wipes)
-Sunscreen
-Toilet paper (about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll, inner tube removed)
-Baby wipes
-Small roll duct tap
-20 ft nylon cord
-cel phone

I don't really have a problem with these. A hat for sun and rain protection is a good idea, as are sunglasses. Cell phones are good, cell phones with gps are better (but more expensive). Don't forget good old change and a calling card in case the phone dies and you happen upon a payphone (or a vending machine). Carry a battery charger for your phone and put your phone in a waterproof sack so it is less likely to die. A pad and pencil can be good, both for messaging, and to remind you what you used and didn't use, or wish you had brought. Some needle, thread, super glue (be careful with glue, it leaks), and safety pins can be handy for blowouts in gear or clothing, and add little to bulk or weight. A deck of cards can help with the boredom of waiting, and help distract the mind.

Hope you find this helpful,

Crowe

#227307 - 07/05/11 10:06 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: Crowe]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Crowe

ON-BODY:
For PSK, I think the mini bic and mag block are enough fire. I think the Kick, Vise, and Sak are a bit much, I don't think the Vise is bringing much to the table, I would stick to the Kick and SAK, though I hope the SAK has scissors, which are handy sometimes.

I've ditched the magnesium bar and taken out the SAK. I moved the Buck folder from the main pack to here instead.

The mini-Mag you may want to upgrade, there are superior options for the size/weight/battery, but it is up to you and what you are comfortable.

Working on it!

NAVIGATION:
Nothing wrong with that, especially since Ritter PSK has a backup compass. Try to waterproof map when possible, or store in waterproof container.

I've got the map and compass in a Coglan's waterproof map bag.

LIGHT:
A solid addition, especially to a daypack. Keep the extra-batteries to a minimum, with only maybe 1 extra set, use freshly charged rechargeables for the primary battery load, that way, you know are starting with a full charge.

Good idea. More load lightening. Thanks!

FAK:
I would add some Tick Tweezers (I like these better than AMK's tweezers), both for ticks and splinters,some benadryl, for critter bites that give a bad reaction. An ACE bandage for a sprain. I might only take 1 triangular as I don't anticipate major gashes (but you never know), and I can improvise a pressure dressing with the bandanas, think about the accidents that are most likely to happen and plan accordingly.

The kit has a small tensor in there and I've changed the tweezers. I like 2 triangulars for splinting, slinging and donuts, and bandanas for pressure bandages. They're light and small.

SHARPS:
I have no really problems with this, a fixed is better, but a folder is sufficient, and a Sierra is good for gathering wood and making shelter. I might add a metal bladedtrowel, as it can dig cat holes, firepits, channel water away from shelter, dig out root vegetables, etc, but it is not an absolute necessity.

I debated that but they're heavy and I can improvise.

SHELTER:
I really think this is too much. I would go with 1 poncho and 1 groundsheet (tyvek, garbage bag, painter's tarp, etc). The poncho will keep you dry, and the sheet will waterproof a shelter. The Wool blanket is alot for a daypack. a Watchcap and down vest would be better for warmth and less bulky, depending on the temps. I would lose the blanket, add a cap, down or fleece vest, work gloves (hand protection good), and a spare of wool socks (wet feets bad) and undies (accidents do happen) in a small stuffsack. Imagine your temporary shelter, and your extended shelter (and then practice them). For a night or two, you can away with a sitting on a groundcloth under a tree nested in a poncho and heatsheet (especially with the vest,gloves, and cap, and especially if you stuff the area with leaves or pine needles), in most conditions this should suffice. If you need anything more elaborate, you can construct something with the saw and sheet. You may want to add a FEW nails and tent stakes (like 4 nails and 2 stakes) to help secure lines.

I upgrade clothing in the winter, but for these few months the ponchos will keep us dry when hiking and we use the blanket frequently for lunch, etc. It also helps pad the bag.

WATER/FOOD:
Looks good, I would add a nesting stainless steel cup and some teabags, though I guess you can also brew the kleen kanteen, but I believe in easy warm liquids.

I took the canteen cup out in favour of the kleen kanteen because I can store water in it. I agree about warm drinks, but I don't like tea as much as hot chocolate.

A piece of aquarium tubing (for water collection) and a small sieve with a coffee filter or three or cheese cloth for filtering particulates can make water collection and consumption easier.

I've got a filter in one of the water bottles, and it's got a built-in straw so should work the same.

I would add some hydration tables or electrolyte mix in case of dehydration, and a pack of koolaid (crystallite, etc) to kill the taste of treated water.

mmMMM. Cherry koolaid. Tang...

FIRE:
Birthday candles can melt, be sure to bag them. I am a big fan of the shoe polish tin with lint and petroleum jelly, (though a bag of lint and boot polish is pretty damn good too) but go with what you are comfortable with.

They're in a well-sealed match safe with some strike-anywheres.

MISC.
I don't really have a problem with these. A hat for sun and rain protection is a good idea, as are sunglasses.

I ALWAYS wear a hat and sunglasses when I'm on the trail. I did throw my extra glasses (in hard case) in though.

Cell phones are good, cell phones with gps are better (but more expensive). Don't forget good old change and a calling card in case the phone dies and you happen upon a payphone (or a vending machine). Carry a battery charger for your phone and put your phone in a waterproof sack so it is less likely to die.

Added a few quartes and put the phone in a waterproof bag. Thanks!

A pad and pencil can be good, both for messaging, and to remind you what you used and didn't use, or wish you had brought.

Good idea. Thanks!

Some needle, thread, super glue (be careful with glue, it leaks), and safety pins can be handy for blowouts in gear or clothing, and add little to bulk or weight. A deck of cards can help with the boredom of waiting, and help distract the mind.

Nice. Thanks!

Hope you find this helpful,
Crowe

Indeed! Thanks!

#227347 - 07/06/11 03:05 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
This is a great post with outstanding feedback.

Earlier you mentioned the SPOT 2. I like that idea. Especially if you came across an injured hiker on the trail.

I always take a GPS. As far as a compass goes, the Silva Ranger is my favorite.

#227355 - 07/06/11 06:05 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What is your clothing set-up?

#227361 - 07/06/11 09:31 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What is your clothing set-up?

Right now we're into hot summer days and warm summer nights, that are perfect for sleeping. Soon the nights will be hot for a few weeks too. We've gotten a lot of rain this year. By September, the cooler weather should be back.

We always socks, long pants and LS shirts, which can zip-off or roll up, with an undershirt so the shirt can be removed. Rain jackets are always with us and we wear good solid hiking footwear.

In the cooler and cold months, we change it up to heavier, warmer clothes, heavier rain and winter gear, and more laters.

#227362 - 07/06/11 09:35 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
This is a great post with outstanding feedback.

Earlier you mentioned the SPOT 2. I like that idea. Especially if you came across an injured hiker on the trail.

I always take a GPS. As far as a compass goes, the Silva Ranger is my favorite.

Thanks so much Outdoor_Quest!

A GPS is on my Christmas wish list!

It drived my husband crazy that I think about things like running into an injured hiker. Nice to meet someone like-minded. smile

#227364 - 07/06/11 10:00 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It has happened to me. Not a really common occurrence, but it is worth considering. We were able to make a considerable difference - the victim was in the hospital within two hours instead of at least eight hours that would have been normal.

#227369 - 07/06/11 11:12 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's happened to me too Hikermor that's why it's always in the back of my mind.

Glad you were there to help!

#227553 - 07/10/11 04:13 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
duckear Offline
Addict

Ditch the FAK.
Duct tape,toilet paper,some ibuprofen, and benadryl for a day hike is plenty.

Get a combo bug and sunscreen lotion and repackage in a small bottle.

Dump two sharps for a SAK with saw like a Victorinox Camper or Farmer

Dump heavy wool blanket for USGI woobie or even better, a Kifaru one.

Add some Sliver grippers or equivalent for ticks and splinters.

Add a needle. Very useful.

Get a Zebralight single AA headlight. Great light.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.