Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#227292 - 07/05/11 04:47 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Here's a basic "fire starter" kit. Feel free to add to the list.

MP3 player with Barry White and speakers.

People have been conceived without Barry White's help for thousands of years. What's changed are advancements in medical care which have reduced the infant mortality rate.

We need good health care, not candle light and Barry White.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227304 - 07/05/11 08:59 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KYNabob Offline
Stranger

As a long time reenactor of the pioneer era I have done extensive study of the clothing of that era and have also hand sewn almost every garmet a person could need right up to greatcoats and capes.

Keep in mind that there were no sewing machines in the average household until after 1850.

Pants are the most difficult items in the clothing inventory to make.

A women could stitch up a half dozen shifts or skirts and blouses before she could finish a single pair of pants.

The women also had tricks they used to keep their skirts out of the way and espically out of the fire. They would often pull the back hem of their skirts between their legs and tuck the hem into their belts, forming a type of kolocks.

The difficulty of making pants is one reason they put all children in dresses until they were 4-5 years old, when the boys were "breeched", or put into pants for school and social events.

Even the men did not wear their pants around the house. They wore a heavy "housecoat" or robe called a Banard, to save their regular clothes.

Edited by KYNabob (07/05/11 09:00 PM)

#227305 - 07/05/11 09:22 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: KYNabob]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KYNabob
As a long time reenactor of the pioneer era I have done extensive study of the clothing of that era and have also hand sewn almost every garmet a person could need right up to greatcoats and capes.

Thank you for your very informative post. I imagine your knowledge in this area will come in handy in this armchair survival exercise.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227306 - 07/05/11 10:01 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Update: The game master has granted me an allowance. My player-character's Edge Pro sharpening system, and everything which goes with it, would not be affected by time. Otherwise she would have to have it with her as she makes the jump in time.

Also there is no restriction on the custom survival kit she would have on her. The only exception is, it would be in a black Pelican case rather than orange since orange would attract unwanted attention.

Soon I will be ordering a couple of books to help me design the custum survival kit: Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John D. McCann. Not only is this the only book I know of specific to building survival kits, I read a few pages of it on Amazon and I got an understanding of his philosophy on survival kits. For me, understanding his philosophy on survival kits is very important. The other book is EMERGENCY SURVIVAL A Pocket Guide by Christopher Van Tilburg, M.D. John McCann included this book in a couple of his premade survival kits. My thinking is, if someone like John McCann includes this book in his premade kits then he must have a very good reason for doing so.

Is there another book somone can recommend? If so, I need an explanation why.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227340 - 07/06/11 01:25 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Comedic prose aside, Cody Lundin wrote an excellent book w/ photos & explanations on building a psk. It is 98.6 degrees the Art of keeping your ass alive.

#227341 - 07/06/11 01:25 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Comedic prose aside, Cody Lundin wrote an excellent book w/ photos & explanations on building a psk. It is 98.6 degrees the Art of keeping your ass alive.

#227376 - 07/07/11 01:03 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: comms]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: comms

Brilliant book! "When All Hell Breaks Loose" is another of my favorites, but it deals with survival in broader terms, and spends comparatively little time on PSKs. It could be a helpful read though for this exercise.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227384 - 07/07/11 02:23 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
"When All Hell Breaks Loose" is another of my favorites, but it deals with survival in broader terms, and spends comparatively little time on PSKs. It could be a helpful read though for this exercise.

I did not see anything in Doug's review of this book that makes me believe it would be beneficial. Why do you recommend this book?

Jeanette Isabelle

#227569 - 07/10/11 05:34 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I have not bought the books yet. I am waiting, again, on the game master. I don't want to spend any money on this until I am reasonablely sure the game will continue. I need the books not only to finalize the gear my player-character will be using but also make decisions that will impact the rest of this armchair survival exercise.

This is an update of the gear my character will have on her as she makes the forty-year jump in time:

Mountain Medic
Quark 123˛, S2 Edition
Pocket Survival Pak™
RSK® Mk1

This custom kit was designed with a duel purpose in mind. My character designed it as a supplemental kit to the PSP but it also has to sustain her for a post apocalyptic world she does not know about:

Pelican® 1400 Case (No Foam) Black
Aurora Fire Starter - Silver
StrikeForce® Fire Starter - Orange
Survival Matches
Katadyn® Pocket Microfilter
Bottle Adapter with Activated Carbon
Nalgene® Standard Stainless Steel Bottle
VARGO Titanium Ti-lite Mug - 750 ml
Esbit® Pocket Stove - Small
Blaze Orange Bandana
Emergency Poncho - Clear
SOL Thermal Bivvy
SOL Survival Blanket - Two Person
Ultralight / Watertight .9
QuikClot® Sport™ Silver - 25g
SAM® Splint
RSK® Mk5
eGear PICO™ Lite - Red
trekker® Space Pen
Journal Stapled Notebook with Vinyl Cover - 4 5/8" x 7"
Emergency Survival a Pocket Guide by Christopher Van Tilburg, M.D.
IOSAT™ Potassium Iodide

If anyone has suggestions for this kit, let me know. I also picked some camping and survival gear (titanium, stainless steel, aluminum and books) that will remain in her room during the forty-years she is gone.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227661 - 07/11/11 08:48 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
GettingThere Offline

Sorry for joining this thread so late in the discussion. Looking at the scenario and the current list, a few things occured to me. I am assuming that cost is still not an object.

-- I would suggest replacing the Pocket Survival Pak with the Plus version. The benefits are that it includes the Mk5 and the EGear Pico light, plus a few water purification tablets and a spare water bladder at a cost of very little additional space.

-- I would include a light source that doesn't require batteries, such as the Garrity 3 LED Crank Light (or equivalent). If that is not acceptable, then perhaps your character had spare set of Eneloop batteries in her kit, while the solar charger remained in her room. There is a good chance that solar panels could survive 40 years if left undisturbed. Since your new society is agrarian in nature, there has to be a sufficient amount of sunlight for solar power to work.

-- The Aurora, while robust, has a lot of superflous metal associated with it, and it requires two hands for proper operation. Perhaps you should consider substituting Ultimate Survival Technologies' Blastmatch, which is lighter, is covered (albeit in plastic), and can be operated with one hand.

-- A spare filter for the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter would be ideal. However, if that is not a consideration, then many guides that address the care and handling of portable water filters suggest carrying coffee filters or fine plastic (or rust-resistant) mesh wrapped around and secured to the intake to reduce the amount of particulate matter and thus extending the life of the filter.

-- Snare wire and a small fishing kit is not unreasonable for a PSP, and would come in handy for food acquisition during an unforeseen trek.

I hope you find these suggestions useful.

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.