Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#227246 - 07/05/11 02:00 AM Luxurious Cold War digs
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110625/LIFESTYLES11/106240333/Book-offers-glimpse-luxurious-Cold-War-digs?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|p

Interesting. A largish fallout shelter with a ranch home, complete with out buildings and guesthouse, built inside and the interior decorated with landscapes, fake grass and a passable rendition of a night sky. Another source claimed the interior lighting was dimmable and timed to maintain a regular day/night cycle.

Looking at the pictures I was struck with the fake utopian similarity to "Topeka" ,a fictional post-apocalyptic underground shelter featured in a movie. Then it occurred to me that most people here might have missed that movie. It is a classic in the history of depictions of post apocalyptic worlds that has clearly left its mark on the subject. Never quite great, and more than a little misogynistic, it is still a fun, and funny, movie.

Q1)What was the name of the movie that featured an underground city called "Topeka"?

Q2)There were two protagonists. Between them how many legs did they have. Which character was the 'smart one'?

Q3)Both stars went on to do TV. Name the one who shared character name with a famous American hero in a popular TV show.

Extra Credit - The phrase "Well, I'd say she certainly had marvelous judgment, Albert ... if not particularly good taste" was used. Place it in context.

#227249 - 07/05/11 02:24 AM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Art_in_FL]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'll play!

[quote=Art_in_FL
Q2)There were two protagonists. Between them how many legs did they have. Which character was the 'smart one'?
[/quote]

6 and the shorter one was smarter. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227265 - 07/05/11 11:33 AM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Art_in_FL]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
it is actually in my Netflix queue. Even from my movie forums people recommend the movie, not that it was a quality movie, but left a long impression.

#227268 - 07/05/11 12:26 PM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Original story was by Harlan Ellison. The movie is available on youtube.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#227278 - 07/05/11 01:49 PM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: ]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
What is the name of the movie?

#227280 - 07/05/11 02:29 PM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Matt26]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Matt26
What is the name of the movie?

"A Boy and His Dog."

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#227284 - 07/05/11 03:19 PM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Then it occurred to me that most people here might have missed that movie.

This is a post apocalyptic comedy film I think most would have not seen before, dating from 1969. It stars Dudley Moore, Peter Cook, Micheal Horden, Marty Feldman and Sir Ralph Richardson.

The Bed Sitting Room

#227314 - 07/06/11 01:19 AM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

bacpacjac wins the thread for being first, and being discreet about it.

Q1)What was the name of the movie that featured an underground city called "Topeka"?

Ans) "A Boy and His Dog" 1974, directed by L. Q. Jones.

Ans) bacpacjac - "6 [legs]and the shorter one was smarter". A boy, Vic, and his dog, Blood, collectively have six legs. Blood, a dog with a telepathic link to Vic, was the brains of the outfit. Vic ran mostly on guts, boldness, and hormones. The former being his main assets. The last one getting him into trouble.

Q3)Both stars went on to do TV. Name the one who shared character name with a famous American hero in a popular TV show.

Ans) The dog, Blood, got bit parts on TV shows, and several commercials. ,the boy, Vic, was a rather young Don Johnson who went on to play the part of Sonny Crockett on 'Miami Vice'.

Extra Credit - The phrase "Well, I'd say she certainly had marvelous judgment, Albert ... if not particularly good taste" was used. Place it in context.

After Vic, ever horny, went underground following the girl he was captured, hooked up to a milking machine, and used as a involuntary sperm donor. He escapes and returns to the barren surface and finds Blood starved and near death. In the next scene Blood and Vic are seen looking very well fed and satisfied near a fire with a large piece of meat roasting over it. Dog makes the above quote ... the credits roll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_and_His_Dog

You won't learn much of any great practical value from the from it but the movie is pretty much a must-see if you want to understand survival/survivalism and depictions of a post-apocalyptic world as a meme and cultural phenomenon.

#227323 - 07/06/11 01:45 AM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Art_in_FL]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Woohooo! I winned! I winned!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227327 - 07/06/11 02:30 AM Re: Luxurious Cold War digs [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
the boy, Vic, was a rather young Don Johnson who went on to play the part of Sonny Crockett on 'Miami Vice'.

Not to mention "Stringfellow Hawk" on the show Airwolf . grin

-Blast

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.