Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#227234 - 07/04/11 10:13 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'd replace the AAA minimaglite with something better. I carry a 4Sevens Preon ReVO as my backup light -- same form factor, about the same weight, and a much, much better flashlight.

I keep the maglite in my Leatherman sheath, simply because there's room. Is the 4Sevens Preon ReVO about the same shape and size?

Are you carrying a cellphone or other means of communication?

I was a BB addict and had to walk away from my cel. I do carry an old unactivated one, with SIM card, when I'm not with someone who has one. I'm just about ready to get another and sm deciding between a simple one or a Spot 2. Not having a cel phone is part of the cause of my over-prepping disease. wink

I carry an extra beanie-type hat for unexpected cold.

Me too. When it's colder, I put in a blaze orange wool beanie, along with wool socks, gloves and extra sweater.

After bandaids, the most commonly used items from my FAKs are OTC medications.

Thank you! I suffer from arthritis and migrains so meds are crucial. Duh!

Do you have bug repellent and sunscreen? Sawyer makes a combination spray that's very small and light.

Thank you again! I'd love a combo but haven't heard of one before.

Edited by bacpacjac (07/05/11 02:00 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227235 - 07/04/11 10:29 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I 'd carry 2 fleece blankets for the same weight as 1 wool one.

#227236 - 07/04/11 10:33 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: unimogbert]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Sierra saw might be unnecessary unless you plan to construct shelter with local materials.

We do do that actually. We built an awesome wickie-up on the beach this past weekend.

#227237 - 07/04/11 11:34 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

What are your thoughts?

ON-BODY:
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and firesteel in sheath
-Lanyard with Fox 40, Gerber Vise mini tool, firesteel and LED
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, mag block with ferro rod and SAK

NAVIGATION:
-Local maps & Silva compass

LIGHT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries

FIRST AID:
-AMK .5 FAK with extra gauze, pressure bandage and 2 triangulars

SHARPS:
-Buck folder
-Sierra saw

SHELTER:
-2 rain ponchos
-2 bandanas
-Wool blanket
-2-person heat sheet

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Pepperoni sticks
-Hot chocolate
Food can be added before each trip, but I think I'll add some Cliff bars and jerky to be better prepared.

FIRE:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-Birthday candles

MISC:
-Bug spray (spray can & wipes)
-Suncreen
-Toilet paper (about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll, inner tube removed)
-Baby wipes
-Small roll duct tap
-20 ft nylon cord
-cel phone

ADDED:
-bear bell
-small air horn
-OTC meds

REMOVED:
-Ballcap clip-on LED & extra batteries *Redundant Back-up
-LED crank light *Redundant Back-up: keychain LED on lanyard
-Buck fixed blade *Redundant Back-up
-2 rain jackets *Redundant Back-up *Will switch out with ponchos when the cooler temps come back
-Mylar sleeping bag *Redundant Back-up
-Bic *Redundant Back-up
-Fire steelm *Redundant Back-up *Have one on lanyard
-Strike anywhere matches in matchsafe *Redundant Back-up
-Vaseline soaked cotton balls *Redundant Back-up
-Tea lights *Redundant Back-up
-Bucket hat *Redundant Back-up
--Canteen cup *Redundant Back-up

Nice to see that you trimmed down the kit as the original list is a lot more then I would take on a shorter outing.

There was mention of removing the baby wipes....don't. They come in very handy for a basic body wash/cleanup. Although the experience is not as good as a shower, a 1/2 dozen or so baby wipes utilized in a few strategic body areas can still make a world of difference.

As for fire tinder, depending on where you live or visit, pine or spruce tree sap is always an option as it burns extremely fast and hot even on damp spruce bark.

Pics from this weekend's trip.

John Lubbock

#227238 - 07/04/11 11:47 PM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Teslinhiker. We've got a huge pine tree in our backyard. We use it for backyard campfires but I think I'll pack some sap.

#227239 - 07/05/11 12:25 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would also keep the matches, simply because they weigh very little and they make starting a fire very simple task as most folks know how to operate them without any specific skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdbG_lMrBuk

A box of Swan Vesta's strike anywhere matches will give around 80 lights and can be waterproofed by dipping the heads of the matches in wax. A section of butyl bicycle inner tube can then be wrapped around the match box.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pri...as_Matches.html

A small air tight metal tin such as a used boot polish tin to keep cotton balls soaked in Coleman White gas, is also useful as a last ditch fire making tinder. A packet of Esbit Tabs also make for a useful fire starters in cold and wet conditions.

I also like to include a miniature AAA powered Laser with a lithium battery for signaling as signal mirrors really only work during sunny daylight hours.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/30mw-532nm-stars-light-show-special-effects-green-laser-pen-1-aaa-30654

I would also replace the AAA maglite with a suitable replacement such as the Tank007 TK-360

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/tank007-tk-...-1-cr123a-19183

The CR123 cell has a much higher capacity and this flashlight is very good value for money. The focus optics head can be removed and used as a wide area light and for SOS signaling.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/05/11 12:31 AM)

#227240 - 07/05/11 12:38 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: MDinana]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana

-first, tell DS and DH, if they want to eat, they pack their own food. You're not a pantry.

DONE! DS has aready started.

-Ditto shelter - why on god's green earth are you carrying 2 rain coats? You have 2 torso's that I don't know about? And 2 ponchos? Pick one.

The pochos disoosable and the rain jackets a bit heavier. Ditched they jackets for the summer and DH can carry his own, just like DS is already doing.

-1 flashlight. One. Not 3. Worst case scenario if your lights die? It's dark. Big deal.

Smart! With an 8yo, darkness, especially if it was an emergency like and injury can become a big deal fast. I've got a keychain LED on my lanyard and in my PSK, as well as a AAA mag in my Leatherman sheath. DS carries 2 as well. That's enough redundancy.

-1 knife. Fixed or folder, but only one.

Fixed blade is out. It's bigger, heavier and I have the saw for bigger jobs.

-Mylar sleeping bag or heat sheet. Not both.

Mylar is out. Heatsheet is tougher.

-Fire: pick 2 methods, and 2 fuels. You're way, way redundant there.

Bic and matches are out. Butane lighter and firesteel are enough, with tinderquicks.

-Ditch the sunscreen. You're in Canada. Not exactly the sun-burn capitol of the world.

Nope. 8yo on the beach means sunscreen. We can burn badly enough to blister up here in the igloo land. wink

-Baby wipes and TP? Pick one. Unless you have diapers to change or raging hemorrhoids, ditch the wipes. I bet you even carry a full roll of TP too, don't you?

Smrte A$$! wink It's only about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll and tube is gone.

Again, 8yo and wipes are a good pairing. wink

-Ditch half the food you're carrying. Again, you're not a pantry. Let your DH and DS carry their own food. If you get stuck overnight and don't eat for 24-48 hours, no big deal. Try that cord and catch some fish.

DONE!

Sorry to be harsh, but look at all that crap you're lugging around. I bet that's not helping your shoulder. Tell your DH to get off his duff and pitch in. I bet he weighs more than you - he should be carrying more than you. He's not your "pack mule" but it's ok that you are his?

Not harsh, exactly what I was hoping for. I just keep adding stuff, little by little. I love the idea of keeping a list to keep track!

#227241 - 07/05/11 12:42 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I keep the maglite in my Leatherman sheath, simply because there's room. Is the 4Sevens Preon ReVO about the same shape and size?

The ReVO is shorter. The Maglite Solitaire is 81mm long and 12.7mm diameter. The ReVO is 71.1mm long and 12.7mm in diameter. The aluminum ReVO is out of stock at 4sevens.com but still in stock other places; the stainless steel model is heavier and costs more, but very shiny.

Quote:
Thank you! I suffer from arthritis and migrains so meds are crucial. Duh!

Pain relievers, DayQuil, antihistamines and diarrhea meds are the ones that come out the most for me.

Quote:
Thank you again! I'd love a combo but haven't heard of one before.

This is the one I carry: http://www.rei.com/product/785882/sawyer-premium-sunblock-with-insect-repellent-05-oz . As bug repellent goes it doesn't work as well as DEET (but I don't know anything that does).

#227242 - 07/05/11 01:32 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Liath!

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I would also keep the matches, simply because they weigh very little and they make starting a fire very simple task as most folks know how to operate them without any specific skills....can be waterproofed by dipping the heads of the matches in wax. A section of butyl bicycle inner tube can then be wrapped around the match box....

See how easily this happens?! I agree matches are easy. Matches, lighter and/or firesteel? There are matches in the Ritter PSK.

A small air tight metal tin such as a used boot polish tin to keep cotton balls soaked in Coleman White gas, is also useful as a last ditch fire making tinder. A packet of Esbit Tabs also make for a useful fire starters in cold and wet conditions.

I'll definitely crank it up in the winter!

I also like to include a miniature AAA powered Laser with a lithium battery for signaling as signal mirrors really only work during sunny daylight hours.... I would also replace the AAA maglite with a suitable replacement such as the Tank007 TK-360

The CR123 cell has a much higher capacity and this flashlight is very good value for money. The focus optics head can be removed and used as a wide area light and for SOS signaling.

My headlamp has several settings: low, single focused LED wide/bright 3 LED and all 3 LED flashing in bursts of 3 so I've got signaling covered, though it;s AAA light not CR123.

#227243 - 07/05/11 01:36 AM Re: Hiking Kit Help [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The ReVO is shorter. The Maglite Solitaire is 81mm long and 12.7mm diameter. The ReVO is 71.1mm long and 12.7mm in diameter. The aluminum ReVO is out of stock at 4sevens.com but still in stock other places; the stainless steel model is heavier and costs more, but very shiny.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Pain relievers, DayQuil, antihistamines and diarrhea meds are the ones that come out the most for me. [/quote]

Yup. I've added just about the same list:
antihistamines, allergy meds, gravol and anti-diarheal.

This is the one I carry: http://www.rei.com/product/785882/sawyer-premium-sunblock-with-insect-repellent-05-oz . As bug repellent goes it doesn't work as well as DEET (but I don't know anything that does).
[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks. I'm on the hunt!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.