Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227179 - 07/03/11 11:02 PM Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I finally got around to adding a pair of leather work gloves to my kit. (Yeah, I know, it's super late, but I've got most other things.) As I perused the many offerings at the hardware store, I can't figure out the difference between all these leathers: deer, cow, pig, & goat. What's your recommendation?

Deerskin seemed most supple, but also most expensive. They also didn't have a pair of gloves made entirely of leather (only deerskin-palmed). Pigskin seemed a little thin. Cowhide seemed the thickest, but not by far. I ended up with the goatskin, not because of the leather itself (which is more supple than cowhide, but also a little thinner), but because of the construction.

For emergency it probably won't make that much of a difference. They just need to last for the duration of the emergency. I do worry about getting punctured and cut as I clear my way through the wreckage, but those cut-resistant gloves seem like an overkill unless I work in an abattoir.

Da Bing

#227183 - 07/03/11 11:58 PM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa

Deerskin
Deerskin is very supple and provides excellent comfort, dexterity and insulation which makes it a favorite choice for products that feature dexterity as the main benefit.

Cowhide
Cowhide is used in a lot of products since it strikes a pretty good balance between durability, dexterity, abrasion resistance, and comfort.

Pigskin
Pigskin has a reputation for resilience and it holds up very well against abrasion, stays pliable with wear. Pigskin is also generally thought to be better about stiffening up after exposure to moisture.

Goatskin
Goatskin generally thought to be both durable and supple. Typically thin cuts are used. If I remember correctly this is what old leather flight jackets are made from.

Every leather type has different characteristics. Bang for buck is pretty much up to the user to determine.

- Eric

Edited by Eric (07/03/11 11:59 PM)
Edit Reason: oops

#227184 - 07/04/11 12:07 AM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Credentials: Grew up in a leather town in upstate NY. IIRC: Deer skin is supple and comfortable, good for jackets, dress gloves. Not strong. Pig skin is similar. Cowhide and horsehide are strong, but stiff. Goat skin-called cabretta- is a good blend of strength and flexibility, and is the best choice for rock star leather pants. Not a bad choice for gloves, either. In the early twentieth century, dogskin driving gloves were highly regarded for flexibility and breathability-not advocating, now, just sayin': don't be a hater.

Electric company linemen used to use cowhide gauntlets with wide, forearm covering cuffs, which were great for barbed wire projects. Cowhide welders gloves give an amazing amount of thermal and sharp edge protection, and are really cheap at harbor freight.

Leather is not a magic fabric: it degrades quickly with exposure to water and petroleum products. Canvas work gloves with leather palms have served me well for a long time, too.

#227185 - 07/04/11 01:16 AM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Here are the gloves I got from Costco, and it's up to someone else to figure out the type of leather.
http://www.supertopo.com/review/Wells-Lamont-Leather-Work-Glove
They are comfortable, inexpensive and work well enough. I have used them for stacking firewood, gardening, etc. They are well-used but have not deteriorated.

#227186 - 07/04/11 01:18 AM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Pigskin is my usual choice for work gloves.

Pigskin - doesn't harden much if it gets wet. Florida rains and sweat make this important. Highest abrasion resistance per unit thickness and more breathable because it is fairly thin.

Cow - cheap and thicker so good protection from heat. Tends to be stiff and it will shrink, warp, and stiffen if it gets wet.

Deerskin - softness and comfort. Good toughness considering how soft they are.

#227190 - 07/04/11 02:41 AM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Steerskin treated/rubbed in real well with Neatsfoot Oil,Just like a Baseball mitt,works Real Good,softens the leather allowing the gloves to conform to your hands & makes them moisture resistant but not waterproof.Spend some money for your hands like you would for your feet,you've only got two of em'!

#227207 - 07/04/11 11:46 AM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Richlacal]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Any glove is better than no glove and they can save you a lot of grief. Good fit helps. For many years I have carried a pair of deerskin gloves - light, protective, and well fitting enough to give good dexterity, but not all that great for sustained, heavy use.

For really tough chores, I go with whatever is available at Costco, usually Wells/Lamont. Tough andprotective

#227210 - 07/04/11 11:57 AM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
Kangaroo is top notch glove material.

#227264 - 07/05/11 11:27 AM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Not sure if by 'kit' you mean PSK, EDC pack, GHB, or just tool box in the back.

I've owned Deerskin and for the most part they are very supple but don't last long at all. Especially after getting wet and not drying properly. YMMV based on use and care.

The longest owned and hardest working pair of gloves I've ever owned were my D-3A military issue leather gloves. The wool inserts help for extra protection and warmth.

For my EDC and PSK I use a windproof running glove. Yes its synthetic but super light and packable they will get me through what urban issues I'd need them for which have been, summer trail hiking in hot rock areas for hand protection, light shooting, warmth, moving boxes, improved grip, light repetitive impact.

#227312 - 07/05/11 11:55 PM Re: Work gloves: deer vs. cow vs. pig vs. goat vs. ? [Re: Bingley]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've moed to using the knit gloves with the tough plastic palms. They fit well, are tougher than leather (outlasted leather moving 75# retaining wall blocks) and I would think they would dry much faster than leather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.