Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#226632 - 06/25/11 10:28 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
[quote=comms]

Ah, the good 'ole Demo knife. I've got a bunch of them floating around somewhere. They must have stamped those things out by the millions during WWII/Korea/Vietnam.

I wonder what schrades quality is like now. I do know Case is not any good now so I wonder about schrade now.

The current Schrade is not the same company as it used to be. The name and branding was purchased by Taylor Brands, LLC; who is now making copies of the original designs, mostly in china. Totally different from what they used to be. A lot of Schrade's actual equipment was bought by Benchmade knives and a few other companies.

With Camillus gone as we know it (the high-end Canal Street Cutlery being the only part that remains), all that's really left of the old school brands are W.R. Case, Queen cutlery (Schatt & Morgan), and Buck knives. Case is still under ownership of Zippo, and being made in PA, like always. Queen Cutlery is partners with Ontario knives (both made in NY state). Finally, Buck knives is still a family owned U.S. based company, however many of their knives are now made overseas.

Thankfully, I've got a bunch of examples from all five in my collection. With the trend toward 'tactical' style folders, it wouldn't surprise me if many of the traditional patterns start to fade away as time progresses.

#226759 - 06/27/11 03:26 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Well, I had no idea that Case was owned by Zippo, that comforts me. Because I'll be honest, if I am giving a gift for something of significance, (graduation, promotion of import, wedding gift, birth of first son) I either give a Case Sodbuster Jr., Case peanut (more for business guys who have never carried a blade on a daily basis) or a plain SS Zippo like the one I just gave my friends son for a graduation gift.

#226929 - 06/29/11 08:59 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
WolfBrother Offline
Stranger

Loc: Austin, Tx
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Thanks again gang!

I think we're down to the Scouts Canada Buck or a SAK.

I like the classic look of the Buck, the fact that it's simple, solid and that's it's engraved with the Scouts Canada logo. It's also just like the knife DH had and lost when he was a kid.

SAKs have the cool factor, especially the ones with Alox scales. I loved mine when I was a kid adn still treasure it today. Now I've got a few of them becuase they're so paractical. Back then it was attributable as much to it being my Dad's as it was for all the gadgets. Makes it more fun when playing Spy. wink

So, the final list is the Buck, and SAKs - Spartan (mine or one just like it) Farmer, Recruit, Tinker/Super Tinker, Cadet, Hiker, Junior 09.

I think we'll take him to the store and let him try them all out, see how he handles them and let him pick his own, with a sheath and a sharpener. One of our summer projects is knots so we'll have him make a lanyard for it as well.

Replied quoting you so it'd catch more attention.

I had forgotten about this. When I mentioned this subject at the dinner table last night Corey reminded me about it.

One of the first Summer Camps Corey went to, he was doing wood carving and the SAK I had given him folded and cut his pinky finger pretty good. (He admitted last night he was NOT doing it correctly when it folded).

Reasonably needed a lockback knife. We got him a Gerber Gator folder (plain as opposed to serrated edge). Took it to him and one of the instructors happened to be checking up on him when we got there. He said he always recommended (and carried) the Gerber Gator.

SO I got lucky on my knife pick.

Here's a link to one place
Gerber Gator Link

Corey said he has carried one with him since. When he was doing EMS he bought a serrated blade one to use as his seatbelt cutting knife.

Corey HIGHLY recommended the knife for your Scout.

Let us know how it goes.

WolfBrother

#226934 - 06/30/11 01:00 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: WolfBrother]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: WolfBrother

...Reasonably needed a lockback knife. We got him a Gerber Gator folder (plain as opposed to serrated edge). Took it to him and one of the instructors happened to be checking up on him when we got there. He said he always recommended (and carried) the Gerber Gator.

SO I got lucky on my knife pick.

Here's a link to one place
Gerber Gator Link

Corey said he has carried one with him since. When he was doing EMS he bought a serrated blade one to use as his seatbelt cutting knife.

Corey HIGHLY recommended the knife for your Scout.

Let us know how it goes.

WolfBrother

Thanks Wolf Brother! Welcome to the forum!

I'll check that one out. I know Gerbers are a like/dislike knives around here but I like that ones I have for light duty work. BG knives are Gerber, and I like the look of the handles (minus the BG part, but our last name starts with B so maybe it could stand for B Guy or something. LOL!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227023 - 07/01/11 11:40 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

[img:right][/img]

Today's the day! We decided on the Scout Canada Buck folder. It's a well-built simple classic. It's the right size and weight for him, has a locking blade, and is just like the one DH had when he was a boy. It's got the Scouts Canada logo engraved on it too, which should add a little extra to the "pride" factor.

We'll spend the summer and fall teaching him how to use and care for it properly and will get him an SAK for Christmas, once he's had some time to practice. We thought that learning that it's not a toy was important before we got him a knife with gadgets.

We're hiking out to the beach today and when will give it to him when it's time to make the campfire. Hopefully it'll be a lifelong memory for him.

Thanks again for all your guidance. I really appreciate it!

#227052 - 07/01/11 07:06 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

To celebrate Canada Day and DS's 8th birthday, we went for a family hike today, through a local marsh to the deserted beach. The weather was perfect!

After the hour-or-so hike, we wickied up on the beach.

Then he forged for tinder and wood, made a tinder bundle and fire pit. When he was ready for us to light it, we presented him with his birthday present - his first knife and his own LMF fire steel. He loved them! He was determined to get the fire going using them.

Using a fire steel isn't as easy as it looks, even with Dad's coaching and some supplies from home.

After trying for quite a while, we pulled out his little emergency whistle, stocked with matches and HE DID IT! His first campfire! (He needed four strike-anywhere matches. The first three broke on the rock he was striking them on.)

Never have I seen him so proud!

He capped the moment by using his knife to whittle sticks with DH, so we could roast his self-cut spider dogs over that glorious fire.

On the hike back to the car, and all the way home, all he could talk about were all the adventures he's going to go on once he can use his knife by himself. Thanks for all your help with this gang. You've help spark a little boy's imagination!

(His fanny pack PSK expanded into Dad's old army webbing today and he was so proud!)

#227063 - 07/01/11 09:16 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Glad to be of service. I can see he's going through the "I'm 8 and whenever I go outdoors I must wear camo" phase. Ah, memories.

He is indeed Izzy! (He's snuggled in a camo fleece blanket as I type, actually.) He's been in love with camo since he was 4 or 5. His name is Joe so maybe it's only natural. wink

#227065 - 07/01/11 09:40 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

During your camo phase, you must have gotten the GI Joe nickname too.

#227066 - 07/01/11 09:42 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great photos, looks like DS already has more outdoor preparedness skills than 95% of the population. Now if DS can be proficient at map and compass work by the age of 10 that will be 99%. wink

#227070 - 07/01/11 10:22 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Liath, we're slowly working on his map and compass skills.

He was born with a love of the outdoors. He's a typical 8-yo in that his attention span is short, but he's in his element in the outdoors. He loves learning all he can about thriving in the wildernness. Les Stroud is his hero. It may just be a phase but we're going with it.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.