Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#22699 - 01/13/04 06:08 AM Re: Dead tourist had 80L of water
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I know what you said, and I guess I disagree.
What often separates us from the "real world" is our humanity towards each other; that is probably how we most impact the "real world."
If we can help protect some people from their own ignorance, even if incorrectly perceived, with some basic education that might save a life, why not. If they choose not to heed our guidance and still put themselves in mortal danger, at least we can say we made an honest attempt to keep them safe.

To each his own.

#22700 - 01/13/04 06:32 AM Re: Dead tourist had 80L of water
Anonymous
Unregistered

simply because you are endowed with a sense of compassion and general good will towards your fellow man does that mean that you must be burdened with the responsibility to compensate for his idiocy and that therefore you are liable for penaties when you fail to intervene in his life to prevent him from harming himself? Certainly if you have a willingness to help someone out and they are interested in your help (and don't consider you a busy-body PITA) then, by all means, help them out. If you fail to help someone out for whatever reason, must you be liable because they were stupid and hurt themselves? If they consider you a busy-body PITA they will ignore, rebuff, or accoste you for the intrusion then forge boldly forward to face the natural inescapable consequences of thier own actions.
[FULL RANT ON]
This will happen regardless of how much you wish you could prevent it unless you actuall physically interfere with their behavior - guard-rails on roof tops, chain-link fence with barbed wire-tops allong the road sides where it might be dangerous to walk off into the wilderness, coffee made with luke warm water slowly steeped for hours at a teped 80 - 110 degrees. etc. If you truely wish to prevent folks from spilling coffee on themselves serve it in containers that can only be accessed through a straw and require that they come into the establishment to drink it and not allow them to take it away and require it to only be served after it has had the opportunity to cool down below 110 degrees F. BTW What are you going to do about those sizzling Fajita plates that the mexican restaurants are serving. They are sizzling grease - Much hotter than 212 Degrees F! How about those korean places with the live hibachi in the middle of the table or the PuPu platters with the alcohol flame in the middle! Oh! My! GOD! Think of the Children for Gawds sake!
[FULL RANT OFF]

That felt good!

#22701 - 01/13/04 06:47 AM Re: Dead tourist had 80L of water
Anonymous
Unregistered

I rest my case.
No ranting necessary.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.