Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#226817 - 06/28/11 04:35 AM Re: Everyday use... What really gets used [Re: ireckon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Merely carrying a firearm is using it! There's way more thought that needs to put into carrying a firearm than there is for any other item mentioned in this thread. Merely carrying a firearm requires the user to be . The heightened sense of self has a residual effect of benefiting other things you're doing throughout the day.

Most responsible adults can remain "on their game with respect to alertness, situational awareness, safety, and self-awareness" without resort to having to carry a bulky, heavy, dangerous, and expensive object. I also don't maintain any illusions that a firearm is going to save me in any likely event. I depend on my ability to be "on [my] game with respect to alertness, situational awareness, safety, and self-awareness".

The simple fact is that most people in the most dangerous neighborhoods are not armed. While a good percentage will be maimed and injured the vast majority survive without resort to shlepping around a hunk of iron. On the other side a good number of those who do arm themselves end up dead. Sounds more like a rabbit's foot, or fetish, than a tool appropriate to the situation.

I don't hike and camp much any more. Getting old has its down sides. But when I did I was always adjusting and revising what I carried. If I didn't use something on a couple of trips I left it behind because carrying things is not free. Every object and gram of weight extracts a price every time you take a step. If an object, any object, fails to justify the burden it imposes it got left behind.

Yea, I know. You are a going to object that I'm anti-gun. Except I own guns. I was considered to be a pretty good shot and still do well enough, better than most at the range when I do shoot. I even carried for a bit and made all the excuses you are about to make. Then I grew up and realized I was just being silly. There are times and places where carry makes sense but those are few and far between.

And no, the simple fact is that if you do not draw the weapon with a reasonable expectation of firing it you are not using it. You want ridiculous you could make the claim you need to carry a twenty pound life raft using the same logic. You never know, the water might rise and carrying a raft would certainly focus the mind on staying alert to any impending flooding. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Of course the same can be said for a space suit and anvil.

#226826 - 06/28/11 07:21 AM Re: Everyday use... What really gets used [Re: Art_in_FL]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
A life raft, an anvil, and space suit are a bit different though. They're excessively bulky, heavy, and are pretty much tailor made for one specific environment. Thankfully, in the environments they would potentially be needed, one would (hopefully) be provided for those in need. I mean, if I was going on a boat, I wouldn't want to go on one that isn't equipped with a suitable number of life rafts/life vests.

Many firearms, on the other hand, don't share those qualities. Many modern firearms are small enough to easily fit in a pocket, weigh mere ounces, and can be useful in a variety of environments. More importantly, one might not always be provided for someone when they might need it. Hence the desire for many to be equipped with a firearm.

I don't think it's silly at all. If it's legal, one is willing to properly commit to it, and they feel it can be of value to them, than I don't see any reason to lambast their decision. I mean, I've never used a whistle to save my life or the life of another, but I've still got them all over my gear just-in-case. Just like situational awareness only goes so far sometimes, the sound of my voice only travels so far.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.