Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226741 - 06/26/11 11:45 PM Re: Lessons Learned from the Brisbane Floods [Re: KenOTBC]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: KenOTBC
Chaosmagnet, this isn't the first time I have seen cell coverage go down in an emergency. I used to live in London, in 2005 after the bombs the cell network was shut down for a few hours. I understand the cell networks were unusable after 9/11. I just don't want to rely on them!

Where you live this is perfectly sensible. Where I live, relying on POTS telephony would be unwise. That's all I meant.

Outstanding after-action report, by the way. Thank you.

#226746 - 06/27/11 12:29 AM Re: Lessons Learned from the Brisbane Floods [Re: KenOTBC]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Excellent post, KenOTBC! Glad you made it through okay and that your wife learned a lesson, too.

Since everyone else is commenting on the sandbagged toilet, I'll go there too. One of my fears due to the location of my house is raw sewage coming out of the toilet in a flood. I have a "clean-out" tap to my sewer line and figured if things were looking bad I'd unscrew it and plug the line there somehow. Your idea seems much simpler but what about sinks and shower drains?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#226751 - 06/27/11 01:13 AM Re: Lessons Learned from the Brisbane Floods [Re: KenOTBC]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Talk to a licensed plumber, he'll advise where the valve should go to protect your whole system. We have a great plumber we trust, so he knew our traps and lines and recommended a backflow valve out at the end of the sewer line, and we included a new box in the ground to make cleaning and maintenance simple (home repair). I did the digging and put in the concrete box, Dale tapped the line and put in the valve. There are a variety of valves to consider too, including ones that you can manually switch to block all flow, or those that just prevent backflow up the sewer line. We chose a version that has a bit of both, including a manual block if we knew something was coming and had time to turn the plug at the box, and pretty solid backflow coverage as well. Where we live isn't ordinarily subject to sewage backflow problems, but if the Green River had flood, millions of gallons of water would have exerted enough pressure on the sewer line to cause just about anyone to flood. Most of that flood risk is now abated, the Army Corp of Engineers is testing the Howard Hansen Dam as we speak to assess whether repairs the past two seasons have done the trick. I've cleaned up houses after floods, I sure didn't want to deal with any raw sewage in mine - a couple hundred bucks for peace of mind.

#226752 - 06/27/11 01:17 AM Re: Lessons Learned from the Brisbane Floods [Re: Lono]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Great post and info KenOTBC.

+1 on the backwater valves. They are a very good investment and I seen first hand where a home was saved from sewer back flow because they had a valve in place whereas many neighbors were not so lucky...

John Lubbock

#226760 - 06/27/11 03:29 AM Re: Lessons Learned from the Brisbane Floods [Re: KenOTBC]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Thank you for sharing

#226787 - 06/27/11 05:35 PM Re: Lessons Learned from the Brisbane Floods [Re: KenOTBC]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Food we should keep more of agreed, also certain medications. I will be stocking up before the wet season comes around again.

With all the problems Australia has been seeing this last year, I wouldn't wait too long!

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.