Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226690 - 06/26/11 02:59 PM Odd weather
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our local meteorologist has noted that the weather is getting odd. Worth nothing as both he and I are calm, logic based individuals...Worth noting as a possible start of a trend.

#226692 - 06/26/11 03:18 PM Re: Odd weather [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
'Odd' and 'trend'... a new oxymoron?

But I agree that the weather seems to be getting increasingly erratic all over the world.

Sue

#226694 - 06/26/11 03:43 PM Re: Odd weather [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Worth noting: global climate change.

#226698 - 06/26/11 03:55 PM Re: Odd weather [Re: dweste]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Worth noting: Global climate is always changing. smile

More seriously - around here the weather is kind of reminding me of the weather I remember back in the 70's. Makes some sense since things have actually been pretty atypical for the last 10 or so years based on the historical records.

- Eric

Edited by Eric (06/26/11 03:56 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#226701 - 06/26/11 04:13 PM Re: Odd weather [Re: Eric]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Eric
Worth noting: Global climate is always changing. smile

More seriously - around here the weather is kind of reminding me of the weather I remember back in the 70's. Makes some sense since things have actually been pretty atypical for the last 10 or so years based on the historical records.

- Eric

Anecdotally, I'd have to agree. I know from a lot of college classes that there are always micro- and macro-fluctuations in climate (ice ages, mini ice ages, central Iraq once being fertile and now less so, ditto the Nile delta, middle America used to be an inland sea, etc).

A lot of folks my age remember "more snow" as kids. I don't know if it was truly more, or if smaller bodies remember it being "higher."

Is it really getting more random, or just more media coverage of it? Kind of a self-licking ice cream cone effect.

#226704 - 06/26/11 04:51 PM Re: Odd weather [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I think we are more aware of the la nina/el nino oscillations and the part they play with North American weather....cooler la nina currents decrease the wind shear in upper atmosphere, so most of the tropical storms come farther west before turning north.. not good if you live on the west coast of Fla...the Gulf of Mexico can add a lot of heat to drive the storm upward...a lot of cumulonimbus have been forming over the Gulf recently

#226742 - 06/26/11 11:54 PM Re: Odd weather [Re: TeacherRO]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Global warming is, because extreme weather is a way for the system to equalize energy differences, going to experiences less as thing being a bit warmer and more as things being a whole lot weirder. Heat energy on the other side of the globe can bubble up and displace polar cold air. Causing it to slide south out of season. If this meets up with warm moist air coming off the much hotter gulf of Mexico we end up with cyclonic blizzards and massive storms in the east and northeast.

In one case the cyclonic action was so strong it became withing a few miles an hour sustained wind speed to be called a hurricane. A near hurricane that started over the Appalachian mountains and moved NE. Authorities scrambled to get campers and hikers out of the way, rescue those caught and things were touch-and-go for several groups.

The extra energy in the system is driving both cold and hot air masses to places they don't usually go. When they meet each other you get storms of highly unusual power.

I really think that Anthropogenic Global Warming, AGW, is the only logical conclusion because it is backed up by the preponderance of the evidence and the vast majority of scientific community with the people most actively involved and specialized in the specific area of study almost all in agreement. But manufactured debate, IMO there is no debate, only an assertion of fact running up against a rear-guard action on the part of the status quo, doesn't change anything.

Things are changing, changing fast, in unpredictable ways, and everyone is going to have to deal with it. The bottom line is that someone sped up the kiddie ride we have previously known as the weather. This teacup ride is no longer a suitable diversion for young children and pregnant mothers. The kiddie ride has become a monster without the safety belts and helpful smiling attendants.

Buckle up boys and girls we are in for a rough ride.

#226753 - 06/27/11 02:04 AM Re: Odd weather [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I fear this trends toward the political "Line of Death" so I'll try to toe the line and understand if the sheriff needs to weigh in.

I'll start this little tightrope walk by annoying most people and refusing to take a side on AGW.

Instead, I'll point out two facts, one about the earth and the other about the nature of the science involved.

The historical record indicates the earth has been much, much warmer in the past. My very limited understanding of climatology is that our recent (well geologically speaking recent) cool period is a bit unusual (in many ways).

Climatologists try to represent a nearly unfathomably complex system (the earth) by taking a statistically insignificant data sample and tailoring a grossly simplified set of mathematical equations (relative to the real system) using a few (again, relative to reality) independent variables to match the curves in our known data set. The iterative nature of these models makes them very, very sensitive to minor changes in initial conditions and the "weightings" and relationships assigned by the team running the study.

These models are no where near the complexity level of the real thing and many of the scientific principles being modeled (i.e the specific interactions) are not as well understood as something simpler like say mechanical stress and strain (where the models don't always match reality).

I am not a climatologist or a scientist. I am an engineer and I have spent most of my career working with mathematical representations of reality and statistical analysis. Models are great tools, they are not reality and can only be trusted in the regions where they can be compared to actual test results. By definition every model is wrong but occasionally some are useful.

I suspect the ultimate answer on climate comes close to matching the stereotypical view on midwestern weather - wait a while, its sure to change.

And now to slowly step away from the third rail....

-Eric

#226769 - 06/27/11 10:40 AM Re: Odd weather [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I live in a area the has been heavily glaciated on multiple occasions. This is irrefutable fact. The rock scrapings, silt and gravel deposits, and glacial erratics, eskers, and moraines are everywhere to be seen.

Nine thousand years ago, long before SUV's, pseudo-science, spray deoderants, and politicians, the last big glaciers in my state melted. Since the glaciers have not yet returned, simple logic dictates that we have been in a warming trend for ....nine thousand years.

Someday the glaciers will return, not by cold winters, but by cold summers in the snowfields of the Hudson Bay area. Politicians will stand and point across the aisle, scientists will grovel for grants, and lackeys will nod and murmer in agreement with their masters.

Mother Nature will ignore them all, and do what she has always done.

#226773 - 06/27/11 01:50 PM Re: Odd weather [Re: TeacherRO]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I don't know what's causing it, but it is strange.

I live just outside of NYC. In the last five years, I can currently recall at least three tornados touching down in the area. In the previous 35, I can recall one.

I was out surfing without a wetsuit this weekend. The water is a good 10 degrees warmer than normal. Does not bode well for hurricane season this year. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.