The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#226699 - 06/26/11 04:00 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Les... be careful with aspirin in strokes. If you're having a bleed, you've almost signed a death warrant by taking it. However, most (about 85-90% of strokes) are NOT hemorrhagic...

Dweste, I grew up in SoCal too. Never had a problem with a knife. Everything, however, was a "mini" version, ie SAK classic or mini-benchmade (3" blade). In fact, I've never been stopped/questioned about one, except going into jails (I worked EMS, and can't take weapons in past the guards). Have you had different experiences?

#226702 - 06/26/11 04:32 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
MDinana...thanks for the heads up, I did not think of the danger of a bleed, only a clot....

#226710 - 06/26/11 06:33 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
My PSK for urban environment is about the size of an Altoids tins. The PSK for other environment is in a regular tobacco tin. In addition I carry a FAK that takes the space of about 2 packs of cigarettes. I also EDC a knife, a compass, a multitool, at least one flashlight and a whistle. The overall weight may be around one pound.
As a HAM I also carry a handheld tranceiver.
Everything beyond that would be equipment.
The PSK is not there to extend the equipment, itīs for emergency. Getting lost means the equipment has to last for more time than originally intended. There should be no need to touch the PSK for that. For a day trip there is food, water and shelter for an overnight stay (not really comfortable but will do the job). For longer trips there is enough food and water for at least an additional day. Shelter was already covered in the original plan.

#226719 - 06/26/11 07:27 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: MDinana]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Les... be careful with aspirin in strokes. If you're having a bleed, you've almost signed a death warrant by taking it. However, most (about 85-90% of strokes) are NOT hemorrhagic...

When should we give sublingual aspirin in a suspected cardiac event?

#226720 - 06/26/11 07:51 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Out in the woods, my minimum PSK is a PSP+ and a 2-person Heatsheets. I've added a mini-Bic (with cable tie "safety") and a P-38 can-opener secured with a bit of tape to the PSP+.

This is in addition to my EDC, which includes my iPhone, a knife (Rittergrip or EDC Forums Manix 2) at least one flashlight, a full-size multitool, and a pistol with a spare magazine anywhere I'm legally permitted to carry it. My iPhone has iTopoMaps on it, and I download the quads for anywhere I expect to be, so I'm not dependent on a wireless carrier for my backup navigation system. I always drop a "pin" at camp and the trailhead.

In urban environments, I'm almost invariably within walking distance of my car or carrying my laptop bag. My car kit is fairly comprehensive; my laptop bag kit is optimized for weight and bulk and many compromises were made.

#226721 - 06/26/11 07:51 PM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Secondly, you could design a 50 lb pack with a tent, sleeping bag, 2 GPS units, a stove, nine kinds of fire, some food, a portable kitchen sink, etc. But of course, we know where that pack would be when you got lost on a day hike: It would be in your garage because it's too much to carry!

It is possible to have a spring/summer/autumn day pack weighing in around 15lb excluding water, which would have all the kit mentioned and more.

Berghaus Freeflow Light Rucksack - 850gms
Vango Venom 300 Down Sleeping Bag - 850gms
Neoair short inflatable mat - 260 gms
F10 Vitesse 2 man tent - 1300gms
Titanium Gas Cartridge Stove - 50gms
Alpkit MytiMug Pot - 126gms
100gms Gas Cartridge - 160gms
Titanium Spork - 17 gms
GPS + Mobile Phone + Backup LED light: Samsung B2710 - 122 gms
Map + Waterproof Case + Compass - 200 gms
Klean Canteen 1.9L Stainless Steel Water Bottle - 355 gms
3x Expedition Foods Freeze dried Meals ;Total 2400 Kcal - 555 gms
CR123 Flashlight Tank007 TK-360 + spare CR123 - 86 gms
Katadyn Mini Ceramic Filter - 220 gms
Waterproof TNF over trouser - 200 gms
EDZ EPIC Sierra Smock - 355 gms
Swing Liteflex Umbrella - 260 gms
Helle Odel Knife - 160 gms

Total = 6.12 Kg = 13.5 lbs

Other Kit - Firelighting; Hygiene, signaling, hat and gloves etc add another 1.5 lbs

Total weight excluding water = approx 15 lbs.

For a 72 hr kit add around another 3 lbs i.e. more gas fuel and food to take the weight to around 18lbs

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/26/11 07:57 PM)

#226755 - 06/27/11 03:04 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Okay without reading any other responses I'll chime in. My PSK that I could carry alone or as part of my day pack, dry weight is 16 ounces. It will flux a few ounces depending on if I switch knifes or a fire starter, etc.

That goes in my backpack which I always, yes ALWAYS carry out of the house and that also carry's other gear like SS cup, couple different choices to carry water, (right now its usually 2 Nalgenes of water that are filled half way and frozen overnight, then filled up before leaving house, wallet, phone, notepad, yada yada yada.

So my PSK is 16 oz but my daily pack, the center piece of my EDC is closer to 8-10 pounds depending on which backpack and water weight.

#226765 - 06/27/11 04:44 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Thanks, there've been a lot of good responses. If I was on a day hike in the park closest to me I'd keep my gear pretty minimal as it would be difficult to get very lost there (small park). But if I was hunting or camping in wilder woods I'd definitely carry more. While the gear you'd want on you may vary from region to region some stuff is near universal- fire, water, shelter, etc.

I find a small lumbar pack to be comfortable to wear and unobtrusive. Right now I have a Jansport Coltrane and two Mountainsmith packs, a recylced-material Day and an older Tour. With the Strappettes the Day will carry a lot of gear comfortably, and even though my older Tour won't accept them it has a good suspension system. At the moment one of those bags generally contains my PSK & day hiking stuff. I recently ordered a True North Gear SERAC SAR but they goofed and sent me a Double Diamond. I'm RMA'ing it and hopefully will have the SAR soon.

I'm like a fish when it comes to water! Gotta have it on me all the time. It's not unusual for me to drink 3 liters a day at home! So I have a stainless steel 1 l bottle on me even for an hour hike. Obviously that's heavy but I'm willing to accept it to have water.

The most minimal kit I carry is my Maxpedition 11 x 5 bottle holder. In it I keep the water bottle, a cup, and a collapsible silicon funnel & filter. In the front pouch I keep a modded Ritter/AMK PSP, a disposable poncho, a space blanket, 10 Chlorine Dioxide water sterilizing tablets and 2 small fire steels and strikers. I also have a few different packages of vacuum sealed tinder (1 fatwood & Tinder Quik, 2 x PJ cotton balls and a square of tinfoil). On the side I have a Mora Triflex with the sheath stuck into the molle webbing. There's about 25' of paracord wrapped around the knife sheath, secured at the end by a 1.5" wide strip of bicyle inner tube. It keeps the cord on and is a good firestarter. I actually haven't weighed that pack yet, but with a padded nylon shoulder strap I swiped off my old laptop bag it carries very well. I consider this about the least gear I'd take with me if there was any chance at all that I'd have to face an unexpected couple nites out.

#226767 - 06/27/11 04:54 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: chaosmagnet]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

When should we give sublingual aspirin in a suspected cardiac event?

First, it's not sublingual - just chew it and swallow. Sublingual is nitroglycerin smile

Without getting too technical, if you think you're having a heart attack, you're better off just taking the aspirin. Supposedly people with stomach ulcers shouldn't, but we can deal with an ulcer. Dead is a lot harder to cure. Aspirin isn't a cure-all! You're still going to need to go to the hospital, via EMS preferably. If anyone has ever had a heart attack, they can probably tell you they got way more than just aspirin.

If you're thinking stroke, I wouldn't recommend blindly taking an aspirin. Like I said, most are a clot, but some aren't. If you choose to play the odds, that's on you. Best thing to do is get to an ER (preferably accredited as a stroke center) ASAP - the meds have a 90 minute window from symptom onset.

Edited by MDinana (06/27/11 04:55 AM)

#226771 - 06/27/11 11:53 AM Re: PSK- What is your limit? [Re: MDinana]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

First, it's not sublingual - just chew it and swallow. Sublingual is nitroglycerin smile

I'll have to go back to my notes, but one of my instructors said under the tongue. Thanks for correcting that.

Quote:
Without getting too technical, if you think you're having a heart attack, you're better off just taking the aspirin. Supposedly people with stomach ulcers shouldn't, but we can deal with an ulcer. Dead is a lot harder to cure. Aspirin isn't a cure-all! You're still going to need to go to the hospital, via EMS preferably. If anyone has ever had a heart attack, they can probably tell you they got way more than just aspirin.

If paramedics are going to arrive within, say, three minutes, then my plan is to concentrate only on keeping the victim alive for that long. If it's going to be more than three minutes, that's when I'm going to start thinking about whether it makes sense to offer aspirin.

Quote:
If you're thinking stroke, I wouldn't recommend blindly taking an aspirin. Like I said, most are a clot, but some aren't. If you choose to play the odds, that's on you. Best thing to do is get to an ER (preferably accredited as a stroke center) ASAP - the meds have a 90 minute window from symptom onset.

Thank you! Let's hope that if I'm ever around a heart attack or a stroke that better help than me is there or close by.``

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.