Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#226723 - 06/26/11 07:58 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I EDC a 2-AA Mag Lite. I only use a little at a time but it's there when I do need it so I am changing the batteries maybe three times a year at the most. In this hypothetical situation I imagine I will use a flashlight more frequently.

The Quark series significantly outperforms the MiniMag flashlights. Also, lithium cells (Energizer Lithium AAs or CR123As) last much longer in storage or infrequent use.

#227103 - 07/02/11 03:42 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The issue over the flashlight is giving me more headaches than any other gear. I mentioned in the beginning why I picked a disposable flashlight. I have since then taken cost out of the equation.

The flashlight cannot be black. I need to be able to find it in a situation where seeing it may be difficult, like dropped for example. It must comfortably fit in a pocket. The city of Carlton has reverted to a pioneer society so my player-character will be wearing that type of dress once she gets settled. A holster probably would not work and because I may be carrying other items, I cannot count on having a purse. It has to be, at the least, water-resistant in case I drop it in the water. I want something simple. I don't want to go through a menu of options to turn in on. I want to be able to push a button or twist it to turn it on and do the same to turn it off. I don't want it to turn on accidentally. I need it to work so I need a quality flashlight.

Also, I want recommendations for a field knife sharpener. I want something compact, nothing fragile and if it needs to be cleaned, it would be easy to clean as in no special supplies to clean it. After all, we will be on a trek and we need to keep our weight and space at a minimal. My player-character has a knife sharpening system, like Edge Pro or Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, at home.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227114 - 07/02/11 07:58 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Knife sharpener

Quote:
The city of Carlton has reverted to a pioneer society so my player-character will be wearing that type of dress once she gets settled. A holster probably would not work

I don't understand. Even with a societal reversion, I don't see work clothing changing that much. Maybe a personal preference for suspenders vs belt but otherwise I would expect belt loops.

#227115 - 07/02/11 08:28 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: UTAlumnus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
The city of Carlton has reverted to a pioneer society so my player-character will be wearing that type of dress once she gets settled. A holster probably would not work

I don't understand. Even with a societal reversion, I don't see work clothing changing that much. Maybe a personal preference for suspenders vs belt but otherwise I would expect belt loops.

According to the game master, society has more and less reverted to the 19th Century. I applied that to what I know about the area which was inhabited by pioneers.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227122 - 07/03/11 12:09 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I can see the society regressing to go from industrial to agrarian centered society but I'd have to question the GM on the clothing styles reverting. Its simply too much easier to perform physical labor in pants vs a dress. Other than that, have the basic forms of clothes changed that much?

#227126 - 07/03/11 02:23 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: UTAlumnus]
Carpal Tunnel

I can see the society regressing to go from industrial to agrarian centered society but I'd have to question the GM on the clothing styles reverting. Its simply too much easier to perform physical labor in pants vs a dress. Other than that, have the basic forms of clothes changed that much?

The pioneer dresses were an idea I had based on several factors: Not everything we have today to make clothing will be around in this setting. To be more specific, women's undergarments. Dresses would be more practical outer wear for those undergarments. It will be hot in the Summer and sunscreen will not exist. Therefore we need a way to keep cool as possible while being covered up. The pioneer women were more practical in that regard than the Victorian women.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227144 - 07/03/11 10:32 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I must say that I am not into women's clothing, but I venture that if you peruse any good outdoor catalog (REI, Patagonia, Duluth Trading) you will see a good many extremely practical garments that would likely serve as the beginning point for your post apocalyptic world. The mind reels at the thought of women reverting to Mother Hubbards and sun bonnets. Will we be driving Conestoga wagons and firing flintlocks? Or should we just regress all the way back to atlatls?

I know of a couple of places where we could do cave paintings....

#227148 - 07/03/11 01:04 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Will we be driving Conestoga wagons and firing flintlocks?

No. The means of making weapons, more advanced than the flintlock, still exist.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227155 - 07/03/11 02:43 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: UTAlumnus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Are the sterotypical gender norms reverting to 19th century as well, or will you be free to wear whatever clothes are most suitable regardless of gender?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227169 - 07/03/11 07:15 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Are the sterotypical gender norms reverting to 19th century as well, or will you be free to wear whatever clothes are most suitable regardless of gender?

The old rules don't apply. I chose a type of clothing I believe is the most practical for women given the circumstances. There are exceptions but even then the most practical solution for a particular situation is used.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.