Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#227172 - 07/03/11 09:15 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I must say that I am not into women's clothing, but I venture that if you peruse any good outdoor catalog (REI, Patagonia, Duluth Trading) you will see a good many extremely practical garments that would likely serve as the beginning point for your post apocalyptic world. The mind reels at the thought of women reverting to Mother Hubbards and sun bonnets.

I looked through your suggestions.

Let me set the stage. All clothing articles, which are not made of wool nor animal skins, are made of 100% cotton. Elastic and similar stretchable materials are no longer being made. Buttons, buckles and similar items are the only fasteners available. This puts a limitation on how women's undergarments are made. There is also another factor. Therefore, in many situations, women would have to wear dresses. Sunscreen is not available so hats and long sleeves are needed. It is hot in the summer and people need to work. Therefore, these long-sleeve dresses require airflow, comfort and maneuverability.

These dresses do not have to look like something from Little House on the Prairie. They can have a modern look and still be made using old methods.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227200 - 07/04/11 08:05 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

The flashlight cannot be black.

One day the tacticool crowd won't be dictating the colors for gear like this (i.e. any color you like as long as it is black or camo). One day...

But with a little help from eletrician's tape the tacticool flashlight can have any color you like smile
I suggest 2 rings of yellow tape around the body.

#227201 - 07/04/11 08:07 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

[
After going over their flashlights, I decided on the Quark AA˛.

I have one (actually, several). Very good choice!

#227204 - 07/04/11 09:47 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

The issue over the flashlight is giving me more headaches than any other gear. I mentioned in the beginning why I picked a disposable flashlight. I have since then taken cost out of the equation.

The flashlight cannot be black. I need to be able to find it in a situation where seeing it may be difficult, like dropped for example.

Yellow electricians tape... two yellow rings around the body and it is much easier to find.

It must comfortably fit in a pocket.

The city of Carlton has reverted to a pioneer society so my player-character will be wearing that type of dress once she gets settled. A holster probably would not work and because I may be carrying other items, I cannot count on having a purse.

Any AA or 2*AA that also has a belt clip (clip it to whatever you want - a belt, your dress, your purse...) and a long lanyard (so you can hang it around your neck, arm, wrist, ... whatever) will do.

I really like this one that comes with the regular/tactical quark's http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_304&products_id=1880 . The two sliding cord locks let you carry it or attatch it in 10.000 different ways (around your wrist, neck, strapped to a branch pointed where you need the light etc. etc).

A closeup photo showing the two sliding cord locks:

Note that this lanyard doesn't have a breakaway link. You have to add one if you want one.

Did I mention that quark has a belt clip, too?

It has to be, at the least, water-resistant in case I drop it in the water.

Lots and lots of high quality flashlight with that specification .... wink

I want something simple. I don't want to go through a menu of options to turn in on. I want to be able to push a button or twist it to turn it on and do the same to turn it off. I don't want it to turn on accidentally. I need it to work so I need a quality flashlight.

The quark tactical is a very good choice if you can spend 5 minutes on reading the manual and program it. After programming you can completely forget about it. It becomes a two-mode flashlight where your most used ligth setting is with the head screwed all the way thight, and your second most used setting with the head loosened just a bit. Once programmed, there is no more fiddling - just click on and there is light.

My favourite setting is a reasonably dim light (3 lumens) as the most used setting, and a fairly bright (70 lumens) on the second setting. 3 lumens is plenty for most close range tasks (0.7 lumens is too little unless your eyes are really well dark adapted - it MIGHT be the better choice for your scenario). If you need more light where you are - or want to light up something far away, just loosen the head a bit; tight it when done.

DISCLAIMER: No affiliation - just a happy customer. I own several quarks of various configurations (mini/regular/tactical AA and AA^2) and have given even more away as gifts. I cannot vouch for the myriad of other good flashlights that may be optimal for your needs.

#227217 - 07/04/11 02:39 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Thank you, Mostly Harmless. This is the solution to the flashlight headache I am currently working with: Have a primary flashlight and a backup. The Quark 123˛, S2 Edition will be in my player-character's holster as she goes through the time warp. Since it comes with a clip, she can have it on her as she goes on the trek. The eGear PICO™ Lite will be in her custom survival kit. I selected the Quark 123˛, S2 Edition because it has the brightest moonlight setting.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227220 - 07/04/11 02:58 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Also, I want recommendations for a field knife sharpener.

I am very happy with the Eze-fold two-sided (model 510 - medium and super fine grit, silver handle) diamond sharpener:

http://www.eze-lap.com/product/ezefold.htm

But then again, I use scandi grind knives. The wide bevel (flat area betwen the edge and the rest of the knife) makes it easy to hold the sharpener at the right angle. I've never tried to hand sharpening with other kind of grinds, but I can only guess it will be a lot harder.

#227221 - 07/04/11 03:16 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I am very happy with the Eze-fold two-sided (model 510 - medium and super fine grit, silver handle) diamond sharpener:

http://www.eze-lap.com/product/ezefold.htm

But then again, I use scandi grind knives. The wide bevel (flat area betwen the edge and the rest of the knife) makes it easy to hold the sharpener at the right angle. I've never tried to hand sharpening with other kind of grinds, but I can only guess it will be a lot harder.

So far the only knives I have listed are my primary knife, RSK Mk1, and backup, RSK Mk5. I may need a field sharpener that would be ideal for both. My player-character has an Edge Pro 1 sharpening system, with the case and three extra stones, but it will not be going with her on the trek.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227260 - 07/05/11 06:39 AM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I've been waiting to see when the conversation will turn to repopulating society and how to equip for it. I mean, you can't have a society without people!

Here's a basic "fire starter" kit. Feel free to add to the list.

tea light candles (hey, another use!)
strong malt liquor (who knows whom you'd be assigned to?)
knife (for prying open oysters)
scented oil (1 part kerosene, 1 part bleach, and 2 parts sage oil)

I'd also add a compass to it for good measure, but that's just my personal preference.

#227274 - 07/05/11 12:51 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Here's a basic "fire starter" kit. Feel free to add to the list.

MP3 player with Barry White and speakers.

#227275 - 07/05/11 12:55 PM Re: Rebuilding Society [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Some people have survived so there are people. Therefore I am unclear on how this list will help.

tea light candles (hey, another use!)

I could probably add a couple of tea light candles to the custom survival kit. Still, I don't see how that would help.

strong malt liquor (who knows whom you'd be assigned to?)

Alcohol is able to be made in this setting.

knife (for prying open oysters)

My player-character has an RSK Mk1.

scented oil (1 part kerosene, 1 part bleach, and 2 parts sage oil)

Why specifically scented oil?

I'd also add a compass to it for good measure, but that's just my personal preference.

There is one in my player-character's PSP.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.