The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#226564 - 06/24/11 10:15 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I need to clarify something: Our Cub Pack does use knives. We teach them to use use knives. We just don't let them carry or use them unsupervised. They're not outlawed and we don't make the rules for home. Mom or dad can bring it to the meetings and events when we'll be using them and a leader can hold it for them when not in use, but they can use their own knife when we do knife work.

A limitation, yes, but heck, it's only a few hours a month and it helps us keep everyone safer without risking outrage (and possibly worse) from the non-knife friendly parents. (Some of them even have trouble with us letting them freely roam a copse of trees behind our campsite.) As Ratbert says:

Originally Posted By: ratbert42

I don't just put up with it for my kids but for all those other kids whose parents don't know how to use a knife or cook on a fire.

Edited by bacpacjac (06/24/11 10:17 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226566 - 06/24/11 11:53 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Bacpacjac....just a little clarification on my recommendation for a Victorinox Alox Farmer...it is what I built my EDC around ...rugged aluminum scales, saw, and what I really like is that the awl (not locked) opens on the end so you can really use it...it doesn't have scissors though

#226570 - 06/24/11 12:27 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
recommendation for a Victorinox Alox Farmer...it is what I built my EDC around ...rugged aluminum scales, saw, and what I really like is that the awl (not locked) opens on the end so you can really use it...it doesn't have scissors though

That's a nice knife Art. It's one of the finalists!

#226572 - 06/24/11 01:02 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks again gang!

I think we're down to the Scouts Canada Buck or a SAK.

I like the classic look of the Buck, the fact that it's simple, solid and that's it's engraved with the Scouts Canada logo. It's also just like the knife DH had and lost when he was a kid.

SAKs have the cool factor, especially the ones with Alox scales. I loved mine when I was a kid adn still treasure it today. Now I've got a few of them becuase they're so paractical. Back then it was attributable as much to it being my Dad's as it was for all the gadgets. Makes it more fun when playing Spy. wink

So, the final list is the Buck, and SAKs - Spartan (mine or one just like it) Farmer, Recruit, Tinker/Super Tinker, Cadet, Hiker, Junior 09.

I think we'll take him to the store and let him try them all out, see how he handles them and let him pick his own, with a sheath and a sharpener. One of our summer projects is knots so we'll have him make a lanyard for it as well.

#226574 - 06/24/11 01:38 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There is only one solution - buy him both. Who can go through life with only one knife?

#226582 - 06/24/11 02:48 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
old SF trick... make a lanyard of small braided nylon (small engine pull rope)about 18inches long... attach one end to knife, and other to a Bic lighter with about a foot of duct tape...loop the lanyard through belt...carry in front pocket

#226583 - 06/24/11 02:54 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL! Great tips Hikermor and Les! Thanks!

#226587 - 06/24/11 03:31 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Here's something that'll make some folks maybe feel young again. It did me.

The knife I mentioned in a previous post being both the first knife my Mother got me and one of the first I ever had came today. The original I lost, but I've been looking for an original in package model for years on eBay. Recapture a memory and have it back in my collection. Sure enough brand new in the blister pack for $8.99....A circa 1987 (Ireland made! Real brass liners!) Imperial "Kamp King." It's a model I think at least 80% of men on this forum have at least had at one time or another. The woman has a whole bunch of them. Her Father died and left her a bait and tackle shop full of stuff she is selling on an eBay Storefront.

Pictures or it didn't happen, right? Here you go.

I cut open the package as you can see.

Sweet, sweet memories. They don't want 'em like this anymore, I tell you what to quote Mr. Hank Hill.

I have that exact knife, called Forest Master, in my accessory drawer. Obviously popular with the 'boys' 20 years ago!

#226606 - 06/24/11 07:46 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My God! I never even put 2&2 together. I have an original GI knife that looks like that Schrade, minus the logo. That is just like my Forest Master! Though the GI knife blade has always been really really dull.

I stopped carrying my GI knife when Gerber came out with their first multiplier. Heavy & thick but better tools.

#226619 - 06/25/11 01:37 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I aint gonna go threw 7 pages to see if it was suggested already but My votes for a Buck 110 Folder. Basic single blade proven design. I wouldnt go for any form of sak in any brand for a first knife. The first knife should always be single blade as its more reliable and usefull as a knife in itself. A sak should be a second knife then a fixed blade as a third. Plus a Buck just has that classic old school look to it and makes a great item to pass down.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.