The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226415 - 06/22/11 01:50 PM Re: Heat-related first aid? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My kit includes water, water and more water, A bandana to soak, a blanket or tarp to make shade, light-weight long sleeves and pants, wool socks and a full cover hat (i.e. tilly style)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226446 - 06/22/11 06:09 PM Re: Heat-related first aid? [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Prevention beats treatment, as everyone above has mentioned.

As Art said, forget the macho crap. Someone has to be conscious enough to call for help!

Know the symptoms, and watch out for them in yourself and others.

Keep more water with you than you think you'll need -- you might need to pour it over your head and keep bandanas and towels wet.

Don't forget about water toxemia (aka Hyponatremia), too much plain water at once. Carry some electrolyte/salt mixes (like dry GatorAde) or the premixed kind. You may want to dilute it a bit.

You can also make a kid-palatable electrolyte replacement drink at home (from baby parenting site

* 2 quarts water
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium chloride)
* 1/2 teaspoon regular salt
* 1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid

Refrigerate and use within 4 days if you have to store it.

Sue

#226457 - 06/22/11 08:31 PM Re: Heat-related first aid? [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A lot depends on the particulars of the weather, humidity and wind make a big difference, if air movement is low and humidity is high water may not evaporate rapidly enough to provide any cooling.
Wetting your clothing can work well in Arizona where humidity is typically low. Do the same thing in humid Florida and you will likely regret it.

If you don't know which way to go wet a bandana or small cloth and drape it over you. If it is col and stays cool evaporation is working for you. If it clings so you are now both hot and wet it is likely better to save the water for drinking.

#226464 - 06/22/11 10:54 PM Re: Heat-related first aid? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Anybody carry a spray bottle to aid evaporative cooling?

#226475 - 06/23/11 04:44 AM Re: Heat-related first aid? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've had one of those Misty mates for about 10yrs now,& It's still working,they hold about 2Pts of water,you pump it up,clip on the hose to your collar/hat/or just point it wherever you desire,at friends,etc.,It put's out a steady cool fog,especially with an Icecube or 2 inside,well worth the $12 I paid so long ago!Tarpet,wallyworld still sell them!YMMV-Especially if you reside East of the Rockies & North of Parkfield!

#226486 - 06/23/11 12:31 PM Re: Heat-related first aid? [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for 3 gun matches in July - Sept, I throw two of the hygroscopic gel neck wraps in the cooler... I can wear one while the other is absorbing water...helps bring the core temp down...this time of the year proper clothing aids evaporative cooling with the physical uptake of water..I gave up on cotton 10 years ago... the synthetic wicking fibers work exceptionally well in our heat and humidity... match Sunday was 94F with a 105 heat index...long sleeved (Dupont Supplex feels like cotton) nylon open cape backed flats fishing shirts....nylon heavy duty shorts....Dorfman Pacific open weave crown, wide brimmed hat, poly wicking socks...BullFrog high SPF lotion....drink alternating Gatoraid and water... monitor urine output for color ....wear a 2L CamelBak when working as range officer

Edited by LesSnyder (06/23/11 12:34 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.