The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#226413 - 06/22/11 01:49 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Its not a locking blade but very sturdy spine. I like the Case Sodbuster Jr (pardon the sales link, no affiliation)

Its a basic, CLASSIC, American blade that has been around for a 100 years and carried by probably most of our grandparents. I'd also recommend the Barlow Knife (another great blade for a kid).

I really do think, like most people have stated, a first blade/knife will be memorable, give him something that stands the test of time as a classic.

#226414 - 06/22/11 01:49 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
One of the smaller Opinels might be a good option. They cut with little resistance (thin blade profile), they're easy to learn how to sharpen, and there's a safety lock. It's simple to square off the sharp point with a file for a little extra safety. And you won't be out more than $10-15 if (when) he loses it in the weeds.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/22/11 01:51 PM)

#226416 - 06/22/11 01:55 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great suggestions gang. Thank you!

I just found a Buck with locking 3" blade at the Scout Shop. It feels pretty solid, about the right size and it has the Scouts Canada logo engraved on it. My only concern is the unlocking mechanism. It's a little awkward in that he'd have to hold the knife wrong to close it.

[img:right][/img]

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226418 - 06/22/11 02:00 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
When my son was in the cub scouts, knives were NOT ALLOWED.
That's one of several reasons we're not in the scouts anymore.

#226419 - 06/22/11 02:00 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Bacpac:

It would probably help if you could give a budget as to how much you want to spend. This will narrow the choices down from several hundred to perhaps dozens of knives!

John Lubbock

#226422 - 06/22/11 02:12 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: MartinFocazio]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
When my son was in the cub scouts, knives were NOT ALLOWED.
That's one of several reasons we're not in the scouts anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that Martin. Our Cub Scouts aren't allowed to carry knives or use them unsupervised either, but we do teach them how to use them safely so that they can do so freely when they move up to Scouts. I think (hope?) that learning with his own knife will instill a great sense of pride and responsibility in him. He's been asking for his own "real" knife for a couple of years and now that he's had a taste of using one he's hungry for more. I think this is going to be a very big deal for him (as it already is for us) and something he'll remember forever.

We want to get him something appropriate and durable. Every time I use my first SAK I remember the moment my dad gave it to me. Quality is important. I don't want to spend more than about $30 on it though. Money's tight and he's VERY forgetful. We'll be supervising him for now but I've got a hunch that he'll find a way to lose it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226423 - 06/22/11 02:23 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
If you are worried about your son loosing the knife, ensure that whatever knife you get him has a hole in it for either a small length of 550 or old shortened boot lace or small thin carabiner then he can attach to the belt or belt loop on his pants. Also really ingrain into your son that the knife goes back on the belt loop as soon as he is done with it...no matter what. Soon it will become a habit that will hopefully follow him throughout his life.

John Lubbock

#226425 - 06/22/11 02:36 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I just bought my 7 year old daughter a Wenger Junior 09.

It is a standard SAK size (85mm blade) but the main blade also locks. Their Junior line is interesting in that the main blade has a rounded tip instead of the traditional SAK drop point. In my case this made the knife a bit more Mom-friendly smile.

This model also has the one tool I think is the most useful after the blade: the saw. I think this is especially true for kids who I find will try "sawing" with their main blade at some point anyway.

The other SAK's I personally recommend, generally speaking, are the Victorinox Hiker and the Wenger Ranger 78 (same toolset, different packages).

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Personally, I'm not a fan of locking knives for new users. Typically you have to hit them "wrong" to close them, so keeping the threat of cut fingers will help them forge better knife habits. I've only ever cut myself on a locking blade.

This is a valid point, I had to teach my daughter to close the blade in two steps since it isn't possible to disengage the lock while also having all your fingers clear of the blade. It also means that the closing the saw (which doesn't lock) is done differently than closing the blade.

#226427 - 06/22/11 02:57 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
My only concern is the unlocking mechanism. It's a little awkward in that he'd have to hold the knife wrong to close it.

I've had some bad experience with that style of lock being too stiff for my son to close safely, but I may have just had a bad knife or model since I don't have any other experience with that type of knife.

The only locking blade knife I've used which allows you to close the blade naturally, with no fingers in the blade's path, is my old Wenger Ranger. It has a little slide on the side that is used to disengage the liner lock which can be operated by your index finger in its natural position (or your thumb if you're left handed). That said, I think the Rangers are a bit big for younger kids.

As an adult, I could operate my daughter's knife that way too (fingers clear of the blade), but she didn't seem to have the finger strength to do so.

#226428 - 06/22/11 03:04 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
given your apprehensions with a folder (which really makes a great birthday gift), did you consider a small fixed blade like a Swedish Mora, or ESEE Izula....a Bic lighter, and small MRE hot beverage bag with some ClO2 tabs, secured with a bike inner tube would make a good "woods walker kit"...assuming it will be a few years before he can EDC a folder

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.