The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#22637 - 12/19/03 02:26 PM Re: Knife for the car kit
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
If you are looking for a "robust"knife check out Cold Steel's SRK knife.The blade is 3/16" inch thick and six inches long.They are around seventy dollars but you can get them cheaper if you order a factory 2nd.I also agree with the others as to check local laws and carry in the trunk.I do not like it but there are more laws restricting knives than guns.The knife was one of mans first tools. It seems it is harder to carry one than a gun.Before I get shot let me say that I also believe in the right to bear arms.I believe this to include edged tools and weapons.

#22638 - 12/19/03 10:36 PM Re: Knife for the car kit
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
As for the knife, I would recomend a spyderco Rescue. They are cheap and cut seatbelts very easily. If that knife alarms passengers and cops, then maybe a benchmade rescue hook might answer your question. I would also second or third the recommendaton of a spring loaded punch to break out windows. They arent as big as a hammer, or a s dangerous if you hit a passenger, and will bust out windows in a heartbeat.

Always remember one thing about knifes and seatbelts. Put yourself in a crash situaton and think about your state of mind. If you are in a bad enough wreck to be lcked in your seatbelt, you will probably be a little disoriented. You dont want to be thrashing all over the place with a razor sharp serrated knife in your hand, so keep that in mind when you think about size, etc. I know that some knives are designed with sheepfoot points (the rescue is one) and some even have dull points from the tip back about 3/4 of an inch to prevent you cutting someone else while you cut them out of the car.

I hope I answered your question.

Garrett

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 610 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.