Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225818 - 06/12/11 10:33 PM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Frisket]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Frisket
There is no SET is stone situation/What if Role play from what I read. This sounds to be just a What should a person do if they came across another singular person who already has a camp set up. Atleast I believe this would be more productive and helpfull since this is a very realistic and possible issue one can come across. The questions they should ask themselves and what they should consider to observe for key information of the other person.

I cannot answer until I have more information.

Jeanette Isabelle

#225821 - 06/12/11 10:57 PM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

I cannot answer until I have more information.

EXACTLY! We'd need at least this amount of caution before approaching in any way.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225833 - 06/13/11 01:22 AM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Chisel]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Dweste just what are the "rule of threes"?

I'm a man and don't think like a woman, so I have to punt, but I would assess the situation using SAM and DOC (Strength, Armament, Mobility, Deployment, Orginazation, and Command).

Strength - physically is he large or small, what is his demeanor, if he is calm and unconserned he may be part of a group that he is relying on for security. Where as if he is more observant and looking around he is more likely alone.

Armament - What is visable? He has his tool be it axe, or fishing rod and one could assume a fillet knife at a miminum.

Mobility - It was said he was either fishing or chopping wood, giving the appearance he will be staying put for at least some time. Does he have a camp set up or is his pack laying on the ground indicating this may be just a temporary stop?

Deployment - Does he have a camp set up? Is there any visible evidence that he is not alone, like two cups, plates or packs out. Again his demeanor. Also what is the lay of the land? Can you approach with an advantage to either escape or fight if needed?

Organization - If he is solo then this is moot, however is there any indication he is part of a group? Like a walkie-talkie, or some other communication device.

Communications - Is he communicating, and if so how and with whom? Again what is his body language telling you?

Lastly when in doubt go with your gut instinct. IF SOMETHING FEELS WRONG IT IS. don't question it just react and believe in yourself. Your subconscious will pick up clues your thinking brain will try to rationalize away.

#225839 - 06/13/11 02:09 AM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Chisel]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
In many circumstances, you may die from: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, and, some say, 3 months without human contact.

#225840 - 06/13/11 03:57 AM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Chisel]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't see as disaster situation is more dangerous that any similar situation in every day life. If alone how do you estimate risks. As feminists very correctly point out rape is always a consideration and risk. Men alone or in groups are always something of a risk. Vulnerability and the presence of alcohol add to this risk. As do many other factors.

It has been noted that in a disaster situation, and until things regularize, many confirmed predators will tend to take fewer risks because they are out of their normal environment and comfort zone. Wind comes up, the creek rises, tornado plows through town, or a wildfire threatens and predators tend to go off their feed because the normal clues that keep them safe are mixed up. Unable to tell where super-predators are they take fewer risks. Even their normal complacent and unaware victims are stressed, hyper alert, jumpy.

After Katrina NOLA experienced a reduction of violent crime. Even the police, those few still on duty, noted that many of the neighborhood thugs were to busy helping family and friends to maintain their violent ways.

None of this suggests that predators, or opportunists, can't or won't act up and take advantage of a situation. As always you have to stay aware and trust your instincts.

I think there are no easy answers. Excessive suspicion, pushing people away who might help you, can hurt you as much as unwarranted trust. Always pays to have allies and people covering your back. Trust can be provisional. I don't trust myself unconditionally so I think it is unreasonable to see people as trustworthy or not. It is something that constantly being renegotiated as the time and situation changes.

#225846 - 06/13/11 08:21 AM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Great thoughts here

Just a small detour in the subject: what about if it was the reverse. The surviving guy accidently finds this woman fishing or cooking on her stove/campfire. Do you approach ? Do you leave ? Or do you think ( same as above scenario ) ?

My answer, just my answer. There is strength in numbers. I am an old guy ( 55+ yo ), not attractive enough to be raped LOL and could share a few bits of supplies and skills with someone else. So, I would approach, but first would make some noise like coughing etc. I don't want to be facing a startled person with a gun . LOL ... Nor do I want her to freak out and run in the opposite direction and injure herself.

I will give her enough time to say (Hi) or ( STOP right there!)

Jeanette

Forgive me as I didn't quite understand the ( more info ) thing.
Maybe another strong cuppa coffee would help, LOL .

This is a possible ( hypothetical ) scenario that CAN happen. It is not an investigation of a true story that DID happen. I would agree that giving judgement about something that happend in reality needs more info, but for a hypotehetical scenario, we generally investigate the multiple possibilities with options...

So, if he was choppping wood, She should ...
If he was fishing , she should ...

I think

#225847 - 06/13/11 08:44 AM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

BTW, something like this DID happen in our neck of the woods. A guy was travelling in remote areas alone to join some freinds camping. He stopped for some tea and before moving noticed something far away. They were two lost girls( 5 & 12 yo ). Apparently their family was camping and they went to take a leak and lost their way back. When the two girls saw him approaching in his jeep, they just froze in their place.

Maybe they were too exhausted to run any way. Or maybe seeing a car approaching means ( rescue ) in the subconcious, more than seeing a man sitting at a campfire ! I don't know.

After some radio communication, their family was found and they came for the girls. The family campsite was 16 miles away !!

#225850 - 06/13/11 01:32 PM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
This is a possible ( hypothetical ) scenario that CAN happen. It is not an investigation of a true story that DID happen.

I armchair hypothetical situations a lot. I never come to a conclusion for any of them based on such information you provided.

Jeanette Isabelle

#225901 - 06/14/11 02:24 AM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It really depends... is she doing okay on her own, or is she desperate to revert to second-class citizen and have him take care of her?

For that matter, is HE a TechnoNerd who has no idea how to start a fire, find dry firewood, pick berries or catch a fish, and he needs a mommy to take care of him?

You know that line in The Addams Family movie: "I'm a homicidal maniac -- they look just like everyone else." Ted Bundy had no problem finding victims, because he didn't look dangerous.

If you don't need them, pass quietly, and look for a group, although there aren't any guarantees there, either.

Sue

#225908 - 06/14/11 11:04 AM Re: Possible scenario [Re: Susan]
NAro Offline
Addict

I agree with Sue: if you don't need him, pass. Neither your "instinct" nor your observations will tell you if he is or is not someone who will be motivated to try to harm you. Ted Bundy is a good examply - but AFIK very few such monsters looked scary enough to raise concern among their victims. I've read numerous "profiles", and I don't believe your observations regarding whether he looks like a choir boy or a creep would be much help.

Therefore you must assess his capacity to harm you. And your capacity to defend yourself. And the risk of injury even if you sucessfully defend yourself. And the risk if you don't take the risk... and go off on you own.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.