Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#225917 - 06/14/11 02:53 PM ThermaCELL Insect Repellent
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
For several years I've seen folks carrying around these ThermaCELL insect repellent gizmos and, well, to be honest, I figured they were crazy spending so much money on something that probably doesn't even work.

Well, last Saturday myself, my wife, and my two teens went to a graduation party at a neighbor's house deep in some woods. When we got there at noon we sat a patio tables out on the driveway and the mosquitos were HORRIBLE. I'd forgotten to bring spray and figured we just wouldn't stay long.

The neighbor brought out ThermaCELL lanterns, put one on each table and lit them. Within maybe 5-10 minutes the mosquito were noticably less. Within 15 minutes they weren't even around. Actually I'd see one fly by overhead, but not come close to me. It was absolutely amazing! Two hours later I asked how long the thing was going to last. The husband said they lasted for 4 hours. Well, about 4 pm we decide it was time to head out, and still no mosquitos.

I have to tell you I was stunned, amazed, and flabergasted. Monday morning (yesterday) I ordered two of the portable ThermaCELL gizmos (their company site had a Camper Starter set for a really good price). Wish they had them in a brighter color so they don't get left behind - maybe orange or bright blue - but not as outdoorsy I suppose. They are kind of expensive, but I hate DEET sprays. Recently I've used Cutter Advanced w/o DEET with OK results, but still get bit.

http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

Just wanted to share my experience. -- Ken

#225921 - 06/14/11 03:56 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: KenK]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I have two. They work great.

#225922 - 06/14/11 04:10 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: KenK]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Very interesting. I read on the ThermaCell site that "repellent is a synthetic copy of a substance found in chrysanthemum flowers". That rang a bell, as IIRC permethrin (which is a synthetic) shares similar chemistry to compounds in chrysanthemums. Turns out that is the case after all.

So it seems like the ThermaCell folks have developed a way to use permethrin for treating a volume of space, instead of only a fabric surface. Glad to see it.

#225923 - 06/14/11 04:40 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I am very sensitive to airborne chemicals. Any idea what (if anything) these do to people if exposed long term?

#225937 - 06/14/11 08:48 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: KenK]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I think you would go broke before suffering any long term effects. It's kind of spendy to run these things, when compared to bug spray. But they are super effective and worth it to me.

#225939 - 06/14/11 08:55 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: KenK]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

I had one, but it seems like if there is the slightest breeze it isn't that effective.

#225943 - 06/14/11 10:24 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: KenK]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I thought about one, but never considered buying one until I recently saw it advertised as part of the membership bonus for the provincial Anglers and Hunters organization. I like their monthly magazines and think they do good work in terms of conservation. That bug zapper might be the deciding vote! Thanks for the recommendation!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226139 - 06/17/11 10:20 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: speedemon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: speedemon
I had one, but it seems like if there is the slightest breeze it isn't that effective.

Is this a common experience for ThermaCELL owners? I'm considering buying one myself, but if a breeze kills it, it doesn't seem worth the expenses.

#226143 - 06/17/11 10:56 PM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: KenK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
If you google "thermacell reviews" the top item is Bass Pro Shop with 111 reviews. All but a few loved it - I suspect for most of those they didn't have it running (hot) based upon my experience. I can see how wind would limit its effectiveness though. My favorite is the one that was happy to find that its not a wild hog-repellent.

BTW, I bought ThermaCELL's Camper's Starter Kit that comes with their standard holster, but I'm not too thrilled with the holster that came with it.

It has a 3/4" strap on it that I thought was more of a shoulder strap, but it turns out that its designed to wrap around tree branch 7-8" wide - as someone who is in a tree stand might do.

My problem with the holster is that the strap kind of hangs around when not in use, which is a pain. I noticed they also have a holster with a plastic clip, which seems better. I think I see a thin line in the picture that might be able to wrap around a tree. It might be a newer replacement version.

#226148 - 06/18/11 12:09 AM Re: ThermaCELL Insect Repellent [Re: KenK]
LED Offline
Veteran

They've sold something similar in Europe since at least the 1980's. You place a small tablet of permethrin on a warmer plate that plugs into the wall. Thernacell's portable device is just a much more expensive version of something that costs a couple of dollars. Still a neat device though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.