#219713 - 03/18/11 07:16 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, the price has gone up.

#219790 - 03/19/11 04:34 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

People are hoarding coffee cups ... and Wall Street is going LONG on stainless cups (i.e. investing in them)? What??!!. Are you sure this isn't some secret plot by Starbucks? Ha! ha!!

I'm like Russ. I've got Ti mug from REI. Use it for everything - coffee, boiled water, soup.

By the way ... let me share a story here. Did you ever hear a survival story from an old-timer who was a pro' - but you never quite figured out how it worked? Here's one i heard a long time ago. I met a guy who had been a survival instructor in the military, and after that he had traveled in a lot of rough terrains (just for fun). He told me that he had a special system for how he ate his food , so that he never had to wash the dishes afterwards. It had something to do with the order in which he cooked the food, and the type of meals he ate, but it caused the dishes to be clean when he was finished. He seemed completely serious when he told me this - but I never did figure out how he did it. Or maybe he was just pulling my leg. Who knows???

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/19/11 04:40 PM)

#219794 - 03/19/11 04:51 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A lot depends on how you define "clean." Using one mug, I will usually do an entree, then dessert or whatever, followed up with a nice cup of tea brewed in the same mug. When that is drained, I declare it "clean" and move on. If I am really fastidious, I will follow the tea with a sip of plain water. This is OK as long as just one person is using the mug, especially since my "cooking" consists of boiling water to prepare the food.

Perhaps he is eating MREs. Not too many dishes to do with them.

#219855 - 03/20/11 08:20 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

hikermor ... think you're right. It probably all depends on exactly what you're eating, and the order of how you prepare the food & drink. The trick is to somehow get the plates/dishes degreased as you move thru' the process.

A couple of random thoughts about clean cookware. I try to pay attention to the lessons learned by various elite military forces - because those people are trained to work in many parts of the world. I have noticed that the soldiers belonging to the SAS (Britain) are very careful to keep their plates/dishes/cookware scrupulously clean after eating meals. They will carefully scrub off every tiny remnant of food from both plates and eating utensils. Apparently this is because of the growth of bacteria under tropical environments. So they must have had some bad experiences - to have learned this lesson.

Also, I happen to be reading a book right now about the US Marines during the war in the Pacific (WW2). Some of their soldiers got badly dehydrated under the intense tropical heat, but the supplies for their battle got bogged down on the beachhead (heavy enemy fire). So they were intensely thirsty. When they finally got water, it came in old oil drums that had been converted for water storage purposes. Unfortunately for the poor Marines - their own men didn't do a great job of cleaning out the oil drums. So the water for their canteens was contaminated by a layer of machine oil on top - and that's all they had to drink in the battle. Nauseating! So they also learned an important lesson the hard way ... do a super good job of cleaning all contamination from old containers.

I seem to have strayed from the original topic of coffee cups. Ohhhh well.

Pete #2

#219863 - 03/20/11 10:20 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
[quote=Pete

I seem to have strayed from the original topic of coffee cups. Ohhhh well.

Pete #2 [/quote]

Au contraire. There is a valuable lesson here - be wary of military surplus coffee mugs, especially if they come from the Marines. They will be coated with a light sheen of oil (makes them shiny for inspection, I'll bet).

#219921 - 03/21/11 02:25 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I'm really diverging now. But here goes. The book I'm reading is about a battle that the US Marines fought on an island called Pelileu. It is all but forgotten these days. But it was one of the worst battles the Marines ever fought in the Pacific in WW2. Worst ... in terms of the casualty rates. The island was all solid coral - they had nowhere to dig in.

Anyway, I sat down over breakfast in L.A. this past weekend. There was an 85-year old man across the table. So I got talking to him ... and lo and behold the guy had served with the Marines and had fought at Pelileu. He lied about his age when he was 16 years old, got into the Marines, was sent across the Pacific, and got thrown right into the "meat grinder". I could not believe it! So I bought him breakfast. :-)

The story of what happened is in the book "With the Old Breed", by E. B. Sledge. It's a book that a lot of Americans should read.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/21/11 06:43 PM)

#219986 - 03/22/11 04:00 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: Pete]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I've taken the "hiding in plain sight" approach to preventing the pilferage of my apparently now much coveted coffee cup.

My wife gave me an insualted plastic travel cup that looks exactly like a convenience store paper cup with a styrene lid. To make it look more convincing, I let it roll around on the floor of my car when empty and no one has stolen it yet.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#219989 - 03/22/11 04:48 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: TeacherRO]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
There still is a secret source for coffee mugs. As I got much useful information on this site, I am willing to share the secret. One caffeine addict cannot let down fellow addicts after all.
These things are still readily available and can be used as coffee mug when push comes to shove:
Seidla (half quart stein)

These mugs are used in my region:
Häfala (small mug)

They keep the coffee warm and can hold a reasonable amount of coffee. As regional products they are not affected by international shortages.

#223673 - 05/15/11 11:49 PM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is proof of why gas prices keep going up and never down. Proof!

#223677 - 05/16/11 12:24 AM Re: Watch out - Coffee mug shortage [Re: TeacherRO]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I'm not one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but you do know that there isn’t really a shortage, don’t you ?

It’s a secret government department trying to control the population by creating an artificial shortage.
Ever since Roswell the aliens have been visiting earth to steal coffee mugs and office tea spoons. (Sometimes they take my keys too … now you hear the alarm bells don’t you? ….not so crazy now ! Ha !)

“The Department” realised this some time ago adopted the tactic of reducing coffee mug supply to try and deter the aliens from coming. Irresponsible discussion about coffee mug substitutes will only serve to encourage the aliens, who monitor all earth communications with their Echelon system, specifically looking for key works like “coffee mug”, “spoon” and “car key”.

So we all need to start talking in code so avoid detection. From now on its not coffee mug, it’s a “turtle” and don’t talk about a tea spoon of sugar, lets call it a “pongo”.
Example, at the “pet shop” (see how cunningly I avoided saying “coffee shop”) : “Can I have a hot turtle and a couple of pongos please ?” Try that next time you go for a turtle, all the shop keepers are in on it so they will know exactly what you want – really !

So to be responsible I think I’ll ask Blast to change the name of this thread from “Coffee Mug shortage” to “Turtle and pongo shortage” – then we should be safe, but we still have to work out what to do with car keys, if only we could find them.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.