The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225969 - 06/15/11 12:54 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I just received an email from a company I have done business with before that is apparently running a sale on some manual inflation PFDs. Normal disclaimers apply, I have no interest in this company, and there are likely other companies out there with better prices. I submit this simply as a reference to what is out there.

Landfall Navigation Inflatible PFDs

#225991 - 06/15/11 05:46 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
What happens after you inflate them the first time? Do you disconnect the canister, deflate the vest, and then attach another canister for the next use?

Sue

#225993 - 06/15/11 06:03 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Basically yes -- Hydrostatic Inflator Re-arm Kit
Quote:
Contains: Auto Hydrostatic inflator cap, body (including cylinder), and re-arming instructions. For model MD0450.

#226015 - 06/16/11 12:57 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Another consideration, which is probably not an issue for canoes, is a bulky PFD can hamper movement when evacuating. You may notice that in planes, all PFD are inflatable so that you are able to exit the confines of the cabin and then inflate. Also an inflated PFD (or a non-inflating type) could be a hindrance if you wanted to move through water, in a confined area (people have drowned because the buoyancy traps them against a flooded roof).

Probably not relevant to your requirements, but maybe an issue for someone ?

#226016 - 06/16/11 01:13 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks gang! The decision is as clear a mud now. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226048 - 06/16/11 05:49 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Personally, I find the decision easy, I use both smile (or more types as the case might might require). For everyday wear in a canoe, especially here in Florida, I wear a self inflating suspender type. It actually would exceed the Type I standards execpt that it is an inflatable. If the weather is rough or I am crossing big water, particularly if there are power boats around, I put on a vest designed for canoe or kayak (easy to paddle in - don't try it in a type I). The self inflating is the one I would pick for MY canoe use if I could only have one.

If I am in an enclosed space (aircraft, closed small boat, etc.) I use a manual inflateable. I have one for most things (a suspender type) and one for flying over water (a vest type with pockets for my critical survival supplies).

I also have and use a Mustang Float Coat with the diaper for cold water (which I sometimes canoe in during cold, wet weather), and a flotation suit for work on deck in cold climates.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (06/16/11 05:50 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#226052 - 06/16/11 07:49 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: JerryFountain]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Jerry, if you could only choose 1 PFD for your children or loved ones, which would it be and why?

#226066 - 06/16/11 09:43 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I think what Jerry is saying is there is no such thing as "the one" that you should choose and asking him to choose just one is to miss the point he is trying to make.

You need to understand the environment that you will be using the PFD and choose a PFD best suited to that environment.

#226080 - 06/17/11 02:02 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I get what you're saying Jerry. DWeste, I take your point as well.

When my family is on the water we're usually paddling. My concern for personal use, and use by DS, is that the inflatable ones, while they do appear to be more comfortable, leave more room for error. I want my not-quite a swimmer 8 year-old in a jacket with a butt strap, which will roll him over and hold his head up. I would also worry about malfunction, especially if I tested and refilled it myself. (I have very bad techno-karma!)

Likewise, I can see big benefits in them in some situations, like the floatation issue Aussie points out. I'm also more likely to get my fishing mates to wear one they hardly notice than the standard bulky ones they usually use as seat cushions. "We only fish 200 meters from shore and we paddle the niine-nine. What could happen?"

I like simple old school in most things. The new jacket I buy tomorrow is going to be a good old Canoedogs-style one. Not inflatable but hopefully cut well enough to allow for comfortable paddling, with some pockets for a little gear. I may upgrade though. Jerry's convinced me that there's a time and a place for everything.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226083 - 06/17/11 03:06 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: celler]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: celler
I think what Jerry is saying is there is no such thing as "the one" that you should choose and asking him to choose just one is to miss the point he is trying to make.

You need to understand the environment that you will be using the PFD and choose a PFD best suited to that environment.

Let me try again. I cannot afford more than one PFD. I suspect that many are in a similar "boat." Assuming at least for the purpose of argument this is true, which one PFD would Jerry recommend?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.