Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225915 - 06/14/11 02:28 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: Frisket]
mpb
Unregistered

We opted for the higher end of the gear, the packs where 300 each, the tent another 300,
Silva compas with adjustable declination 60, 2 Vixtorinox lock blades 120+, Garmin 60 CSX with a few programs 600+
a.s.o.
The cheap stuff just does not cut it!

#225931 - 06/14/11 06:59 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice set-up MPB!! I'm a fan of quality too. Although my budget makes some of those purchases a little slower than others, I try to get the best quality I can as quickly as I can. Somethings just aren't worth compromising on!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225932 - 06/14/11 07:01 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Well you might as well stay in a hotel just like Mr Grylls. wink

It all depends on your outlook on life and whether you want to suffer a little, if you want to suffer a little it certainly makes for a more memorable outing.

http://toc.hipcast.com/deluge/7861d1e0-fb3b-0047-a126-8cabf5d425b2.mp3

#225936 - 06/14/11 08:45 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Cost does not necessarily equal quality, especially when you factor in likely conditions of use. You will need an expensive tent for a trip to Denali or the Himalayas, but something much cheaper (and lighter) will suffice for the Appalachian Trail in the summer. Expensive gear will not compensate for the lack of skills, judgment, and ability.

AFLM's gear reminds me of my first 'real" sleeping bag, a US Army surplus mountain bag, also down and feathers. It was cheap, warm, and rather heavy, but it kept me in good shape over several sub-zero nights. Using it made me appreciate the equally warm and much lighter bag I purchased later, a bag that lasted me for twenty years until it was stolen. Army surplus is often quite good, but just a tad bit heavy.

When considering the true cost of an item, you need to factor in its projected useful life. I have lots of items that are more than twenty-five years old and still going strong. The champion is an Army Mountain cook set, with a date of 1951. It is still as good as ever - its only problem is that it is bigger than I need most of the time.

#225938 - 06/14/11 08:54 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: mpb
We opted for the higher end of the gear, the packs where 300 each, the tent another 300,
Silva compas with adjustable declination 60, 2 Vixtorinox lock blades 120+, Garmin 60 CSX with a few programs 600+
a.s.o.

Higher end (cost wise) gear does not always mean quality. My best 4-5 day back pack still only costs $100.00 new and has garnered very good reviews over the last few years.

On the other hand, I had a well known brand name pack that cost almost 3x as much and it was terrible quality. I ended up selling the pack at a substantial lose after giving up on the manufacture's customer service.

As for the Garmin 60 CSX, where did you spend $600.00? I have seen these (new in the box) on various outdoor supply websites, Ebay , Amazon and local stores for $200 - $280.00.

John Lubbock

#225942 - 06/14/11 10:18 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

When I watched my son and nephew put up an old 2-man a-frame tent that my cousin and I used when we were kids I had to smile. Throw a ground sheet underneath, a tarp over the fly, and seal the seems every year and she's good as new. Not sure how much it cost 25 years ago but it's certainly paid for itself and more. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you!

Edited by bacpacjac (06/15/11 12:00 AM)

#225944 - 06/14/11 10:45 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Rapid...5480&sr=1-2

Even quite good tents are reasonably priced nowadays.. wink

And sitting next to good roaring fire in the peace and quiet costs nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6zz3fo0HM

Thats a cool tent. Haven't seen anything quite like it here.

#225946 - 06/14/11 11:05 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Garmin 60 CSX with a few programs 600+
a.s.o.

As for the Garmin 60 CSX, where did you spend $600.00? I have seen these (new in the box) on various outdoor supply websites, Ebay , Amazon and local stores for $200 - $280.00.

Nor for that matter is a GPS receiver really necessary. Absent solid map reading and route finding skills, it could actually be a liability. I have used GPS receivers for about twenty years, and they are a fabulous technology, but I am very comfortable with a lighter and cheaper, quite accurate Foretrex 101. My prime reliance is on paper maps. In my country, even a compass sees only occasional use.

#225947 - 06/14/11 11:30 PM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: Frisket]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Back in the day I occasionally head off into the national forest for two and three day trips with nothing but the clothes on my back, a mussette bag (actually a USGI gasmask bag) with assorted small stuff, SAK, two canteens (one with canteen cup), 6'by8' tarp/rain cape, water repellent jacket.

Rations were instant oatmeal (2/day), granola bars (4/day), Kipper snacks (1/day), M&Ms (1/day), instant coffee (3/day), and tea (3/day).

I would heat water two or three times a day with a tiny twig fire if allowed or use heat tabs.

I carry in two quarts water and have a tiny bottle with a dozen USGI iodine based water treatment tablets and a bandana to use as a sediment filter so I could resupply from creeks and ponds.

In the fall I would add a wool blanket but spring and fall I could just curl up and sleep soundly.

Total weight was under fifteen pounds and I almost always had excess food. Total cost, if I had to buy equivalents new, would be under $70.

#225948 - 06/15/11 12:07 AM Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice Art! You've got to hand it to simplicity.

My mess plate is an old aluminum pie plate, handed down from my Grandma when I was a kid for our adventures. I've had it about 30 years now and it's the best thing going. Deeper dish than most, good size and it can take a beating. It's slightly warped but that just adds to it's character. Didn't cost a dime. At Scout leader camp they all look at me quizically while eating off of their fancy lexan or titanium plates but Cook always gives me more cause my plate can take it! wink

DS uses a Canadian Army canteen cup and an old enamal camp plate, handed down from my dad.

Low-tech and using what you have are really under-rated!

Edited by bacpacjac (06/15/11 12:42 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.