Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#226277 - 06/21/11 03:08 AM Re: OT: Irrigation System Help: Blast's setup. [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
What is the purpose of the pre-flush other then perhaps clearing debris?

My two cents: typically the first water washed / flushed from a catchment system / roof is loaded with settled dust, insects, bird poop, miscellaneaous organic material, and pollution particles that you do not want to drink. Rather than overburden and possibly clog a filtration system with the initial dirty water load, you let it drain or flush away for a while before the presumably cleaner water is captured.

Exactly. It reduces the effort of purification later on.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#226290 - 06/21/11 10:25 AM Re: OT: Irrigation System Help: Blast's setup. [Re: Blast]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Blast

My two cents: typically the first water washed / flushed from a catchment system / roof is loaded with settled dust, insects, bird poop, miscellaneaous organic material, and pollution particles that you do not want to drink. Rather than overburden and possibly clog a filtration system with the initial dirty water load, you let it drain or flush away for a while before the presumably cleaner water is captured.

-Blast

Ok, I had thought the purpose of the water barrels would be for lawn, garden watering etc. I did not think that the water in the barrels would be for drinking. My main concern would be the leaching of the chemicals in the roofing materials such as the petro-chemicals used in most asphalt shingles. How would you filter this out and make the water safer for drinking?

John Lubbock

#226314 - 06/21/11 03:06 PM Re: OT: Irrigation System Help: Blast's setup. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Blast

-Blast

Ok, I had thought the purpose of the water barrels would be for lawn, garden watering etc. I did not think that the water in the barrels would be for drinking. My main concern would be the leaching of the chemicals in the roofing materials such as the petro-chemicals used in most asphalt shingles. How would you filter this out and make the water safer for drinking?

The water is mainly for the plants and flushing toilets if needed. I have a Big Berkey water filter system that will supposedly take out most chemicals. I also have the ability to distill water.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#226331 - 06/21/11 06:18 PM Re: OT: Irrigation System Help: Blast's setup. [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The preflush, for me, is to get the small crud out of the system to reduce the need to clean the foot valve, that's all. If I was going to use rainwater for a drinking water supply,I'd use a very different collection system, with prefilter, post-filter and possibly chemical treatment. The use of my system is to water the garden.

#226535 - 06/24/11 01:47 AM Re: OT: Irrigation System Help: Blast's setup. [Re: MartinFocazio]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
For those in range of the Lehigh Valley in PA, the water authority has been giving away free plastic barrels for rainwater collection. I just missed out on the last round but they said they'll get another batch to distribute when they have enough people on the waiting list.

http://lcawaterworks.com/home/2011/06/more-rain-barrels-available-reserve-yours-today/

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#226538 - 06/24/11 02:34 AM Re: OT: Irrigation System Help: Blast's setup. [Re: MartinFocazio]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
The preflush, for me, is to get the small crud out of the system to reduce the need to clean the foot valve, that's all. .... The use of my system is to water the garden.

Perhaps your area is different from the Central Valley of California, in which winds bring: lead and other nasties from vehicle engine exhaust, chemicals from agriculture, and smog particles of who-knows-what from the big cities upwind. I would not want to incorporate any more of this stuff into what I eat than I have to.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.