Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224479 - 05/27/11 10:00 PM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Why not try and get off caffeine? Blasphemy to americans I know; but it would be better not to be craving it in a survival situation.
For one thing it spoils your aim if you are shooting (your hand shakes slightly).

Darn right, infidel, you are indeed blasphemous! True believers regard caffeine ingestion as a sacred rite and obligation. Caffeine has several beneficial effects that would be handy in a survival situation, basically increasing athletic performance. Marathon runners generally load up on moderate quantities of caffeine on race day. It seems to work for them.

On night searches, if I had the time, I would brew up a Nice Thermos of Tea, laced with sugar. I was in the party that found the object of our search, that person got first dibs; if not, the savory tea was consumed by a deserving searcher.

The trick is to not overdose, just like any drug. That is the reason I scaled back from about six cups of coffee to about three cups of tea some years ago. If for some reason, I can't get tea, there are no overt jitters or withdrawal symptoms.

The best days start with a nice quiet cup of tea...

#224495 - 05/28/11 03:09 AM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: hikermor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The trick is to not overdose, just like any drug. That is the reason I scaled back from about six cups of coffee to about three cups of tea some years ago. If for some reason, I can't get tea, there are no overt jitters or withdrawal symptoms.

The best days start with a nice quiet cup of tea...

Very true. I recently transitioned from 3-4 cups of coffee a day to 1 cup coffee (or black tea) in the morning and 1 cup of black tea in afternoon. It took a week for my body to adjust to the lower caffeine intake but I feel and sleep a heck of a lot better.

#224508 - 05/28/11 03:48 PM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: TeacherRO]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
For time when coffee or soda is too heavy/ distant, what do you use?
What sort of scenario do you have in mind? A sachet of instant coffee and milk powder isn't very heavy. If you don't carry or have access to water to make it with, what's going on?

I'm British. If you can't settle down and make a brew while you figure out what to do next, then I'm afraid you can no longer be considered civilised.

#224604 - 05/29/11 07:33 PM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jolt gum

#224641 - 05/30/11 04:20 AM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Scho-ka-Kola...a Germany dark chocolate nibble,it comes in small triangles of 100 grams,with a strong cup of coffee worth of caffeine.the round tin which is about 3 1/2 inch across and 1 deep is better than a Altoids tin for a survival kit.hard to find of course but check German grocery stores in the US that have sites on the web.during WW2 the German Army put benzedrine in it.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (05/30/11 04:21 AM)

#224649 - 05/30/11 08:12 AM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: Brangdon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Brangdon

I'm British. If you can't settle down and make a brew while you figure out what to do next, then I'm afraid you can no longer be considered civilised.

People would have saved themselves a lot of aggravation and hassle if they would have done exactly that in many situations. Fiddle with the stove, get the water on, and sip. It gives the brain time to get organized.

Actually, you Brits often have some very good ideas...... smile

#224678 - 05/30/11 06:41 PM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: TeacherRO]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>Darn right, infidel, you are indeed blasphemous!

Well I'm glad to see we are keeping this impersonal :-)
But if you must persist in the foul perversion of coffee drinking (I don't wonder why the USA is the only superpower, it's simple; caffeine has got you all moving 10% faster than the rest of the planet).
Let me give you the best advise you will ever hear:
tiramasu flavoured coffee.
qjs

#225593 - 06/09/11 11:51 PM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I like the single-use, four cup filter packs given out at hotels but I just ran out. frown

So now I rely on my bodum mug, which rocks!
[url=]Bodum Travel Mug[/url]

Ok gang, here's your million dollar idea: mini cans of java. Take the little packages of coffee grinds and put them in a tin. (The Scouter in me needs the packaging to be environmentally friendly and reusable, and metal cans seem to be infinately more reusable than glass or plastic, and eons better than that vaccuum sealed stuff. Although you have to give it to the screw top lids on glass bottles.)

Starbucks Viva is good instant coffee but @ $8ish for 6 -vs- $4 to $5 for regular filter coffee?! (Still cheap compared to buying readymade in the store, I know, but I'm on a very limited budget.) I got a small plastic tub of Folgers for $4. It was amoung the average of the cheapest ($4-$5) coffees, both filter and instant, at the grocery store, and a known tolerable tasting coffee, and in a non-breakable container with the most secure lid.

Does anyone know of a mini metal can of coffee with secure lid? Enough for a three to five day trip, perhaps a little more.

Edited by bacpacjac (06/10/11 12:15 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225595 - 06/10/11 12:05 AM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not a metal can, but uses ground coffee or coffee pods instead.

http://www.handpresso.com/ wink

Coffee is purchased bulk from an established business (1884) James Aimer Ltd.

http://www.jamesaimer.co.uk

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/10/11 12:13 AM)

#225596 - 06/10/11 12:10 AM Re: Portable caffeine ? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I wondered about those Liath. I think I'm going to experiment this weekend. Thanks for the tip!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.