Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225081 - 06/03/11 12:44 AM Re: call and response; copy, roger ; marco, polo [Re: comms]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
comms, nice idea.

The only "Instinctive Drowning Response" video on YouTube was pulled by the copyright holder. I emailed them to ask them if they could produce a higher-quality, linkable version of the video that just shows the IDR. I'm hoping they'd be able to. I don't want to ruin their profit, but I just want people to recognize when something is terribly wrong!

#225082 - 06/03/11 01:01 AM Re: call and response; copy, roger ; marco, polo [Re: Bingley]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Used to be a lifeguard years ago, luckily I never had to save anyone. One thing that the article doesn't mention, but it really should, is that people shouldn't swim out and try and grab a drowning person. The drowning person will likely overwhelm the attempted rescuer, and very possibly take both people down.
If you do get in this situation and are in danger of being drowned, swim down and they will let go.

Best thing, is to have a floatation device with a rope, and throw it to/past the person, use the rope to pull it to them. If there isn't one with a rope, swim out with what you have, and keep it between you and the victim. Hand it to them, but don't let them get close enough to you to grab on.

#225084 - 06/03/11 01:18 AM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: Bingley]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thanks for link and it is good reminder for all.

I swim lengths at a local and very busy multi-purpose pool 2-3 times per week. I have seen a couple of close calls usually with younger children that their parents are not paying too much attention to. Although there are lifeguards on duty, they cannot always see everything at every second. As mentioned, drowning often doesn't look like drowning and it can happen so fast that most people will not realize what is happening until it is almost too late....or sadly when it is too late.

John Lubbock

#225154 - 06/03/11 09:19 PM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I almost drowned when I was about 7 years old. I didn't know how to swim at the time. I fell in the pool, at about seven feet deep. In retrospect, I guess my response was atypical because I went berserk, clawing and making all kinds of commotion to get out of there. Luckily, I was able to latch onto the side of the pool somehow. Nobody was in the backyard. It was one of those "life flashing before my eyes" moments.

#225333 - 06/06/11 03:53 PM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: Bingley]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
thanks bing, pasing this on to as many friends and family as possible, many of whom have young kids and pools.

#225338 - 06/06/11 04:52 PM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: ireckon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I almost drowned when I was about 7 years old. I didn't know how to swim at the time. I fell in the pool, at about seven feet deep. In retrospect, I guess my response was atypical because I went berserk, clawing and making all kinds of commotion to get out of there. Luckily, I was able to latch onto the side of the pool somehow. Nobody was in the backyard. It was one of those "life flashing before my eyes" moments.

When I was six, I pulled my brother from the pool. Two random guys did CPR til the ambulance came. Surprisingly my brother is fine.

I guess the moral is, sometimes having people there doesn't help either - good thing you self-rescued!

#225351 - 06/06/11 08:56 PM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: MDinana]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: ireckon

When I was six, I pulled my brother from the pool. Two random guys did CPR til the ambulance came. Surprisingly my brother is fine.

I guess the moral is, sometimes having people there doesn't help either - good thing you self-rescued!

I should add that today I'm an above average swimmer who respects, but does not fear, water!

#225716 - 06/11/11 03:00 PM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: Bingley]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

Just stumbled over this web page last night and is relevant to this thread and discussion. 14 things your lifeguard might not tell you. When I was at the pool this morning, I was thinking about the article and made me much more aware of what the lifeguards were doing...and not doing.

John Lubbock

#225718 - 06/11/11 04:20 PM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: Bingley]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
The last time I went to a major waterpark I saw several of the teenage lifeguards constantly texting on their cell phones while obviously trying to hide the activity from their supervisors.

#225738 - 06/12/11 12:00 AM Re: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning [Re: 7point82]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: 7point82
The last time I went to a major waterpark I saw several of the teenage lifeguards constantly texting on their cell phones while obviously trying to hide the activity from their supervisors.

That's a "I'm outta here and you will refund my money instantly" offense if I've ever seen one. I've never seen an on-duty lifeguard in possession of electronics at any water park I've been to, walkie-talkies excepted.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 427 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.