Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#225618 - 06/10/11 05:37 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Usual EDC (i.e. working or pootling about at home):

Always -
SAK midnight manager on keyring
Torch on keyring (photon or small Fenix)
Cellphone
Wallet with at least £100 in cash (about $150 I guess), cards and too many receipts

99% of the time a second knife - rotating between SAKs and othe legal edcs (currently a Boker Subcom and a Spydie kiwi are getting the most mileage, both as slippies)

Heading even slightly outdoors - i.e. walking dogs out in woods - knives get upgraded to a Byrd wings and a big SAK (usually the Champ), and I add a whistle, space blanket and disposable poncho (last year my local supermarket was selling little ziploc bags with a space blanket and disposable orange poncho in them, and I got them at 30cents each, so I have a few and just drop them into pockets when out and about)

#225625 - 06/10/11 10:57 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great deal Red! (Think I might work on something like that for a Scouts fundraiser.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225631 - 06/10/11 12:52 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Hey "comms"....I use duct tape and tape a spare key onto my car frame in case this happens (again)....locked my keys in the car once, along with my infant son...but the a/c was on...I called my sister in law to get my spare key from my brother...all the time I was entertaining my son...people driving by thought I was nuts, but who cares, really.

#225637 - 06/10/11 01:57 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
hidden key....although my Explorer has a touch key entry, and have an extra key stashed inside, I still hide a key externally...most vehicles have holes in the frame, hidden but accessable from the outside... use a stainless or brass bolt and wing nut to keep from rusting

#225667 - 06/10/11 04:37 PM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You've convinced me that today is the day I hide a key to my car on my car. I stupidly only have one engine key so I'll head to the dealership today to get a couple of new ones cut. Procrastination over!

#225707 - 06/11/11 10:43 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Many newer cars with push button ignition can't be started with just the key. The key will get you into the car if the remote fails but there is no way to start the car without the remote.

You could buy a spare remote, seal it up and tape it under the vehicle somewhere but I wonder what the odds are that it would still be in working order when you need it.

#225709 - 06/11/11 11:00 AM Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks 7.82. Good reminder for a number of people.

For better or worse DH and I don't have to worry about that. Our vehicles are too old. ('91 Civic and a '92 pick-up) Remote entry probably costs more than they do. Older cars are great when you've got PT greese monkey and his protege who like working on them. (That our yearly insurance costs more than they did, not so much. Gotta have liaility though!)

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.