The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225881 - 06/13/11 06:41 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Martin..yeah, but they (6924th at Ramasun Station, Thailand and 6922nd at Clark, Philippines) worked very very well against my targets north of 17 degrees...we really did have some VHF/UHF/SHF capabilities also....regards

Edited by LesSnyder (06/14/11 12:24 PM)

#225919 - 06/14/11 03:26 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: LesSnyder]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
...we really did have some VHF/UHF/SHF capabilities also....regards

I'd HOPE so!

#248655 - 07/17/12 04:44 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: MartinFocazio]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I spend an absurd amount of time working in the mobile development space, and I have more than a little interest in using the mobile network for emergency communications.

Martin, it has been a year now. Can you update us on your phone recommendations? Would love to hear what you have to say.

#248817 - 07/20/12 02:04 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: hikermor]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Why, hello again. I just noticed this thread kicked me for info.

Just as an update - I've moved out of the agency/development space and I'm now more on the consulting/angel investing side of things, however, I do work with developers on mobile projects quite a bit and I am still very much a gadget head when it comes to mobile devices.

Let's see....in the last year, there's actually been a fairly big change in the overal composition of the mobile space - Android smart phones are hugely popular, and more importantly, the cost of smart phones has come down quite a bit.

The iPhone is still my day-to-day phone, in fact I have three of them, but I have also recently used the Samsung Galaxy Note (my reaction was "errr....what?") and I've also got a few prepaid phones laying around.

I still see LG as the best overall experience for low-end "feature phones"
The LG models Tracfone carries for CDMA carriers are still rugged, long-life devices.

The LG 505C - a "clever" phone (I don't think it's smart) is a really great phone on a prepaid carrier (Straightalk, you can buy them at Walmart).

Basically, any of the "candybar" phones are going to have insanely long battery life, but limited features.

In the "traditional" smart phone space, it's really become a 2-horse race, Apple and Samsung. RIM will likely be bought out for parts and Nokia was just slapped hard by Microsoft when they rendered Lumina phones obsolete by not supporting the latest OS on them.

In terms of "rugged" phones, there are still not many choices. On Verizon, you have the waterproof Casio G'zOne Commando, which is a horrible phone to use, but if you fall in the river with it, it still works. It uses VZ Navigator for mapping, which is like trying to drive a car in reverse with with wax paper taped over your eyes. The best thing about this phone is that it does not float, so when it fell into the water I got to watch it sink for good, which made me happy.

I'm looking at a Samsung Rugby phone for a test - as far as I can tell it's the only smart phone that's got some serious durability, but I don't want to get one until I need to replace one of the iPhones (there's a 3GS that's nearing death...so that's likely). My one concern is that it runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS, which puts it well behind the most current Android version, and from my experience, Android phones simply don't allow/support an OS upgrade path the way iOS devices do.

In terms of carriers, it's not gotten any better. You've got your GSM services via AT&T and T-Mobile, and you've got your CDMA via Verizon and Sprint. Metro PCS is still plugging away, but it's an urban carrier, like T-Mobile.

The 4G/LTE situation is interesting. Basically, the term "4G", a technical specification, was co-opted by AT&T's marketing department to describe their upgrades to existing technical standards.

On the other hand, there's LTE, which is a new standard for wireless data and it is FAST - like wireline fast. Where you can get it. Oh, and it sucks battery down as if you were trying to jump start a stone-dead John Deere tractor with your phone.

So, here's where I'd go with recommendations:

If you want the widest range of applications and easiest phone to use, get an iPhone. If you need to extend the battery life of the phone, get a Morphie case for it, which is a combo case and battery.

Apps I recommend for iOS are

TomTom USA (Local maps on the device means no network lag like other apps.
TopoUSA (again, local storage is key..topo maps of the whole area. )
Planets (what's the bright thing up there...to the right of the moon...?)
Find My iPhone (remote find/alert/wipe of the phone)
Checklist Wrangler (every month, automatically generates my monthly prep checklist - swap out gas, run generator, change water...etc..)

If you want more device selection or If you want more hardware capabilities, including the ability to install SD or Micro SD cards (and to be honest, I've NEVER had a need to do that), go with Samsung Android.

Motorola should get out of the phone business entirely. Motorola Atrix and Drioid is a mess of a platform - some great, some bad. Sony always screws something up by making the ordinary proprietary and I haven't seen a Sony phone in a while. HTC phones are brilliant 70% of the time and throw-the-phone-at-the-wall frustrating the rest of the time.

Avoid android on "feature phones" (generally ones that that don't have touch screens) there's no advantage and the cost you pay in battery life is too high.

Thus far I've not found any Android apps I like that are unique to Android. I have, however, found malware and crapware in large quantity. Stick to getting your Android apps from the Google Play marketplace.

On all my devices that support apps (android included) I run:
Evernote (keep notes, docs and pictures locally on the device and on all your other devices all in synch all the time. I have the entire Emergency Ops plan for our township in Evernote, every computer and every device I have sychs)
Twitter - there's nothing better for breaking news.
Wordpress - it's what I use to manage the Emergency Management web site and other sites.

For feature phones - simple basic phones, here's what I think:

LG makes sensible, workable phones that are easy to use and last a long time. I like them and recommend them.

Pantech phones are very good for propping up furniture that might have a damaged leg and sometimes you can use them as phones and information access devices.
Most Sanyo phones are toys for little girls, but there are a few really nice ones in there. Stick to the "Blackberry" style phones.
BenQ-Siemens phones could replace waterboarding as a means of interrogation they are so bad. The plain "Siemens" branded phones are OK.

So....what about Blackberry?
I don't see how Blackberry can survive. I might be wrong on this, but I think that Blackberry hardware is going to take the same path Palm did - great hardware, great software, just didn't change fast enough and rapidly was abandoned. It will likely become like the Iridium satellite network, which was not commercially sustainable, but was indispensable for those who needed it. It was sold at a fraction of cost and remains operational today. Similarly, since all Blackberry messaging routes through Blackberry servers of some kind, that network will need to remain operational long after they stop making the phones. I expect that part of the business to be sold off to some company that will buy it at $0.02 on the dollar.

#248818 - 07/20/12 02:46 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: MartinFocazio]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Awesome Martin, thank you. Though I must say, I am a little hurt that you are down on all things Moto. My Razr Maxx is a fantastic tool, and to me seems far beyond my wife's iPhone. Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) has been a solid improvement on an already capable phone.

Then again, I never was an Apple guy at all.

#248827 - 07/20/12 07:12 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Awesome Martin, thank you. Though I must say, I am a little hurt that you are down on all things Moto. My Razr Maxx is a fantastic tool, and to me seems far beyond my wife's iPhone. Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) has been a solid improvement on an already capable phone.

Then again, I never was an Apple guy at all.

Here's the thing - Android 4 is really nice. Too bad once you buy a phone with 2.3 on it, basically, you're stuck.
And the Razr Maxx is a good phone at the moment - but again, you'll never run Jellybean on it. The iPhone 3GS my son carries runs iOS 5.1 - as long as the hardware holds out, I usually have the latest software on my iOS devices.

My android device farm - not so much. There's a whole bunch of Gingerbread out there - and stuck there forever.

#248829 - 07/20/12 07:29 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: hikermor]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Not sure what makes you say that, my phone came with 2.3.3 and I'm running 4.0.3 right now. Can't say about 4.1, too new for the manufacturers to catch up yet.

#248830 - 07/20/12 07:41 PM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: jzmtl]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254304/the_android_update_trap.html

Some HTC Droid Incredible users encountered problems with Android 2.3.4, including battery drain, memory shortages, and deleted contacts.
A major slowdown in 2D graphics plagued the original Motorola Droid after an update to Android 2.1.
An update for the Samsung Fascinate caused random shutdowns for some users.
Some HTC Desire S users on T-Mobile reported signal loss after an update to Android 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0.
Users of HTC's Evo 4G reported internal memory leaks after updating to Android 2.3.
Some overseas users of HTC’s Incredible S had trouble receiving text messages in a timely manner with Android 2.3.3.
In a huge thread on Google’s support forums, users complain that voice search randomly starts up on its own with Android 2.3.3 and Android 2.3.4 on Samsung’s Nexus S.
Users of the unlocked Galaxy Nexus have reported signal-loss problems with Android 4.0.4.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166236/...er_android.html

and this

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

and this

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

THEY ARE STILL SELLING PHONES WITH GINGERBREAD. Really.

Edited by MartinFocazio (07/20/12 07:45 PM)

#248846 - 07/21/12 03:58 AM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: hikermor]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Does anyone keep more than one phone (e.g. smart phone & basic phone) on the same network, keep them all charged, and just swap the SIM as needed?

#248848 - 07/21/12 04:27 AM Re: Survival Cellphones [Re: chaosmagnet]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Keep in mind that during an extended power outage the generators that serve many cell towers will run out of fuel.

Not sure about the more remote ones, but the generators cell towers around here use are all connected to a natural gas line. They start up automatically and will continue to run as long as they need to; provided they still get natural gas from the utility company (and the generators themselves don't break down).

It's the same with hospitals around here. Many traded in their diesel/fuel oil based generators for natural gas ones years ago.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.