The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#225859 - 06/13/11 03:15 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
They bought it, and I'm sorry to say I have no idea where. You buy the externalities and have the interior fitted out to your order. I don't even remember the brand.

#225880 - 06/13/11 06:30 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: philip]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I'm heartsick over the Wallow fire. I have spent a lot of quality time in that country; one of its features is the helpful nature of the folks who live there. I'll bet my bottom dollar they are pulling together and helping each other out in this tragedy.

#225903 - 06/14/11 03:08 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: mpb
Cliff,
there is a difference in being real and being over=the-top.
You must agree to that at least.

As a rural property owner I resent people (outsiders) coming into my county to set up shop. So do most others.
I see the need of someone telling the 'dreamers' on here what real people think and do.

To you, this site appears an academic exercise of latter-day Walter Mittys playing games; to me, what is discussed here is very real.

In August 2005, between 30,000 to 60,000 (depending on who you ask) New Orleanians and folks from surrounding parishes "set up shop" here in Baton Rouge during and after the Katrina flooding. Two of those were my parents, and two more my in-laws. This collection of thousands of refugees put a huge strain on our city's infrastructure, turning us overnight into the most populous city in the state. While an inconvenience, we NEVER resented those coming into "my country". We sheltered them, we fed them, we clothed them and we made them welcome.

Many fled with little, and lost all they left behind. Few had prepared, or even considered what to prepare. These were our fellow citizens. They were VERY real people.

What we speak of here is being equipped to survive a situation as Katrina - how to plan and prepare. That is not dreaming. That is simply good common sense.

I pray that you, sir or ma'am, were you ever to find yourself an "outsider" in need would find yourself in a country like mine, and not like yours.

#225924 - 06/14/11 05:17 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I was a responder with the Red Cross for years. Seen my share of disasters. Also seen a number of farmers crop fields turned into campgrounds. When the farmers were asked about it, they usually said something like, it is only money, these folks need a place to live.

There are some people that put up a wall around their world and sit behind it with a loaded gun. I pity them. They seem to be afraid of folks from "away" or those that are different from themselves.

Yes, some folks will do bad things, take advantage of the situation for their own benefit, but they are in my experience, a tiny minority.

To me, it appears that these "fortress" folks miss one of the truly great aspects life. Helping others, even as some considerable cost to ones self, is one of life's most rewarding experiences.

Now back to the thread about bug out RV's.

Gloria and I have been living on the road in various type of RV's since 1997. We have no permanent home. This summer, since early may and probably until November we will be living full time in a small pick-up camper. It is on a dodge, 1 ton diesel 4x4. We have a large solar system and a reverse osmosis water system. We love this life.

If you already own a large truck, consider a slide in camper. Used, they are very cheap. They can be provisioned and stored almost anywhere. One can load it on the truck and be on the road in under an hour. We get about 20mpg and with a 35 gal. tank, we can move pretty far in a short time. The 4x4 helps in getting back into the remote places.

When we get to a destination, we can offload the camper and use the truck for whatever needs to be done. At the moment, we are in a very remote part of a national forest. We can sit here for about 10 days with the provisions on-board. We are pretty high so I can use my Droid as a "modem" for my computer, providing pretty good internet connectivity.

As I said earlier... We love this life.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.