Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Well put, and thanks Cliff.

#225656 - 06/10/11 03:49 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
mpb
Unregistered

Cliff,
there is a difference in being real and being over=the-top.
You must agree to that at least.

As a rural property owner I resent people (outsiders) coming into my county to set up shop. So do most others.
I see the need of someone telling the 'dreamers' on here what real people think and do.

#225696 - 06/11/11 01:48 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
mpb,

Bugging out, at least in the typical usage here on ETS, is not equal to going and squatting on someone else's property without an invitation.

Bugging out is what you do when you see something coming that you can't safely ride through (like a hurricane or wildfire) or what happens after a fire or tornado. You need to have the means to make do somewhere away from your home base until you can return or otherwise get back on your feet.

Most likely scenarios for me (and quite a few of us here) would be staying in a motel, staying with family or friends or possibly in a shelter or a tent in someones back yard (with permission).

I have not seen anyone on this forum seriously advocate trespassing except under the most extreme conditions and even then it is a subject that is usually carefully discussed, often in hypothetical worst case scenarios. I think it is very appropriate to point out and discuss the hazards of trespassing during these discussions. I suspect and hope that is the point you are trying to address.

-Eric

#225700 - 06/11/11 03:28 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: mpb
Cliff,
I see the need of someone telling the 'dreamers' on here what real people think and do.

One of the great things about ETS is the wealth of real world experience members bring to the forum. If you're so experienced as a navy seal/fireman/backwoods guru/trauma surgeon/etc... maybe you could share that knowledge in a constructive way. Talk is cheap as they say.

#225702 - 06/11/11 04:48 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Wow! I'm at a loss here,Could you be so kind as to educate everyone to what Real people think & do? mpb? What County do you live in?

#225804 - 06/12/11 09:10 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Cliff,
there is a difference in being real and being over=the-top.
You must agree to that at least.

As a rural property owner I resent people (outsiders) coming into my county to set up shop. So do most others.

So Your the kinda person that would kick the puppy?

#225829 - 06/13/11 12:51 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

We were camped in Death Valley a few years ago next to a Dutch couple in this truck. It's much smaller than the rolling Mongolian, and I had an interesting chat with the guy about the size of his truck. They've had larger ones and trekked the world (Pan American Highway into South American and in North Africa). He said the problem with bigger trucks is that they sink. You have to park them on very good pavement, or the trucks wheels sink into the pavement or ground when you've parked there overnight. He also had problems with side to side clearances in villages and overhead clearance with bridges, trees, and electric wires. So this smaller truck was a compromise for the couple - smaller than they wanted but not so big they were limited in where they could go.

The rolling Mongolian looks great in the drawings, but I suspect it's too big for most of us to use even as a bug-out vehicle.

I'm reminded, by the way, of our camping trip in the Southwest at the time of the Rodeo-Chedeski fire fire in Arizona. People had bugged out over several hundred miles. The motel we stayed at was nearly filled with people who'd left their homes, farms, and ranches.

The neighborliness was just what I remember from my growing up on a farm in Texas - people took care of each other and their livestock. Volunteers came from miles around with their stock trailers to haul off cattle and horses and care for the animals till they could be returned to the owners.

I assume similar actions in the current Arizona fire, where people are evacuating, hoping their homes survive.

My recollections of farm life in Texas, at least in the 50s and 60s, was that everyone needed help at one time or another and could be counted on to give help when others needed it. It's just what you did as a neighbor.

#225832 - 06/13/11 01:19 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: philip]
LED Offline
Veteran

Thats a very practical looking truck. I imagine it would be great for those very inhospitable places where a few spare tires and lots of extra fuel are absolutely necessary. The Gobi desert comes to mind.

Philip, did they buy this truck or build it? If so, where?

#225844 - 06/13/11 04:32 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I wonder where everybody is 'bugging out' to?
The whole countryside will be crawling with 'survivalists'.
Does anyone of the out-buggers consider the circumstance that the whole country is setteld and locals will object to some yahoos invading their space?

Yes, they probably will.

But why does everyone always assume a "bug out" to some rural location? Sorry, but I've lived rural, and I'll pass on that unless I have to. I recognize that trampling crops and scaring the womenfolk and livestock won't win me friends. I'll just drive the next state over, or 2 if I have to. Think of Katrina - folks were getting sheltered up into Missouri. I've got family in a half dozen states. Once you're out of the initial crush of traffic, the entire country is open to you.

BTW, the "whole country" isn't settled. Think about how ridiculous that statement is. The US is 3000 miles across by about 1500 wide. There's room. Worst case scenario, Canada's pretty friendly, and just a bit farther on is a big ole empty state named Alaska.

#225855 - 06/13/11 02:25 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Full sized vans, Uhual style trucks, Mini vans and SUVs are my preferred transportation for such a situation. They are easyer to obtain most likely cheaper and provide a decent amount of space and customization. The Full sized work vans with the gated back area would be best since you can sleep in the back and not have to worry about someone getting threw the front and into the back.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.