Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224328 - 05/25/11 05:43 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Eugene is right, IMO.

If a disaster strikes and you have to get home 20-30 miles on foot, you sure don't want to be the rich-guy standout. You want to blend in with all the other people trying to get home.

If the S really HTF and you do need to bug out, I would say the same concept applies: the low profile. If you're well-off, have money and goods, you want to look like everyone else, just like a homicidal maniac.

Sue

#224340 - 05/26/11 12:03 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Would anyone else consider having nice new shiny camping gear in a nice new crisp clean kelty pack a massive sore thumb situation?

#224354 - 05/26/11 02:17 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: Frisket]
LED Offline
Veteran

Worse than sticking out is that the gear has probably never been tested. I'm guessing surprises in a bug out are probably a bad thing.

#224363 - 05/26/11 10:03 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Would anyone else consider having nice new shiny camping gear in a nice new crisp clean kelty pack a massive sore thumb situation?

I have a variety of backpacks and rucksacks ranging from military surplus to a new Kelty Redwing that I got for my birthday. I am currently in the process of beating that one up. I believe that no matter if you carry your 'stuff' in a shiny new technical pack or a stolen shopping cart, the fact that you have 'stuff' will make you a target of those who don't. That said, you don't want to look like an exclusive sporting goods store model either. If you have to travel, travel light, wearing and/or concealing what you have. Depending on the situation, if you can shelter in place and protect your shelter, your odds of survival improve IMHO.

#224395 - 05/27/11 12:41 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I have a variety of backpacks and rucksacks ranging from military surplus to a new Kelty Redwing that I got for my birthday. I am currently in the process of beating that one up. I believe that no matter if you carry your 'stuff' in a shiny new technical pack or a stolen shopping cart, the fact that you have 'stuff' will make you a target of those who don't. That said, you don't want to look like an exclusive sporting goods store model either. If you have to travel, travel light, wearing and/or concealing what you have. Depending on the situation, if you can shelter in place and protect your shelter, your odds of survival improve IMHO.

I Agree, Thats why the pack mule look would make you stick out more. People see you have things all over you it instantly sends a signal to them that you have "This this and this" in full sight and since its not in your pack your pack must be stuffed with more goodies till the seams are stretching. Looking like a seasoned camper with the special camp shirts and hats and such does sound like a bad idea aswell....Hmmmmmm... I wonder how many people here have regular clothing for BOB situations

#224484 - 05/27/11 10:32 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you're having to bug out, you need to carry some gear. NOT carrying gear because you fear someone will take it from you seems to be counter-productive. Traveling in a group should make you look less attractive to the lower life forms, esp if most of the group were carrying some sturdy 'walking staffs'.

Of course, having a convoy of vehicles with machine guns mounted near the sun roofs might have a neutralizing effect, too.

Sue

#224731 - 05/31/11 02:03 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I hear what most of you are saying, but one size doesnt fit all. The potential "event" runs a continum from mild to severe. Running out of a hurricane's way varies greatly from an all out SHTF nuclear explosion.

For me, already semi-rural, my BOP is to stay in place unless we are in a fallout pattern from radiation to chemical (plants in south are great targets and upwind from us). We also have some nuc plants in our three state region.

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (05/31/11 02:03 AM)

#224794 - 05/31/11 06:18 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
although insured, there are some personal possessions I don't really want to have to salvage from under a pile of wet lumber that was once my house...I'm in the market for a heavy duty open utility trailer anyway.... my evacuation location is about 20 miles and built to post Andrew code...an 8 foot trailer could provide transport for the motorcycle and tremendously increase my potential to transport valuable cargo ... a ridge pole, tarp, and some mosquito netting would make a temporary portable dry platform for post storm recovery if the house were damaged...

#224802 - 05/31/11 07:15 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
mpb
Unregistered

I wonder where everybody is 'bugging out' to?
The whole countryside will be crawling with 'survivalists'.
Does anyone of the out-buggers consider the circumstance that the whole country is setteld and locals will object to some yahoos invading their space?

#224805 - 05/31/11 07:32 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
mpb, I think I can safely speak for many of us ETSers, that we're not planning to bug out, except in highly unique and unusual circumstances. (BTW - that's one of the things I like about this forum.) For example, I live and work near two nuclear plants. Should the worst happen there, my family isn't sticking around. We also live by a major highway and national railline. There are frequently localized, temporary evacuations along those lines. Should something like that happen in our town, we'd have no choice but to leave. Other than those scenarios, we'd likely bug-in.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have a plan for those rare events that will hopefully never happen. Trying to figure it out in the heat of the moment might not be the best plan.

Edited by bacpacjac (05/31/11 07:40 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.