The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224810 - 05/31/11 07:56 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
KenOTBC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Australians love camping, and a huge camping accessory over here is the Camper Trailer. Basically a tent on a trailer which cost between $5,000 to $50,000 depending on levels of comfort. Even the basic models can come with built in kitchen, water tanks, jerry can holders for extra fuel etc and often they have been built with a go anywhere attitude for the Aussie bush (i.e. they are TOUGH). They are also really common and won't stick out. I am looking at one for camping (it takes half a day to load the car for camping to the levels of comfort my wife likes) but it would also serve as a bug-out RV. Check out http://www.campertrailers.org/ for more info on them.

If we ever get a really strong bad weather warning, I will evacuate. I won't think about the evac centres as I will be taking my dogs and cats with me. Being quite new to this part of Australia we don't know many people yet, certainly nobody local with a cyclone proof house, so we would head inland with the camping gear and / or south to family. Luckily we would get plenty of notice for a cyclone and we would make an early decision to leave. Having all our gear pre-loaded so all we would have to worry about is loading up some food, the dogs and cats and some clothes would be a huge bonus as the traffic would get bad and leaving early would be key. The people in the country would welcome the extra trade with open arms.

It would only be a short term thing. Trying to be a long term survivalist in the Aussie bush isn't really an option, at least with my skillset. If the house did get totally wrecked we would still come back to town and find temp accommodation then (we have friends for that!).

#224856 - 06/01/11 05:40 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, bugging out is most likely to be a short-term event: wildfire, home fire, flood, hurricane, toxic spill, etc.

But if your home was destroyed, you still have the land, so you could bring the trailer home and live out of it. Having to repair or rebuild is expensive enough... having to repair/rebuild and pay rent for another residence (while leaving your property unguarded) wouldn't be my recommendation.

Sue

#224864 - 06/01/11 10:00 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: mpb
I wonder where everybody is 'bugging out' to?
The whole countryside will be crawling with 'survivalists'.
Does anyone of the out-buggers consider the circumstance that the whole country is setteld and locals will object to some yahoos invading their space?

Depends on the situation. I've known people who had to bug out of their house because it caught fire and another who did because they lost power for a week. These are small situations where they bugged out to the nearest hotel.
Larger situation we have a family farm 250 miles away, we cna stay in the house but if the situation is bad enough it could take a while to get there. My camper replaced a truck cap because as another said it takes half a day to load a vehicle full of supplies but half an hour for a fully stocked camper.

#224880 - 06/01/11 01:20 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We experience fairly frequent "bug out" events here is SoCal, especially during wildfire season. The ARC and other organizations will establish shelters which are then way underutilized because the buggers go about as far as a handy motel, park, or friend/relative. In the case of some of our larger wildfires, those displaced have run into the thousands - they are simply absorbed by the infrastructure.

We have relatives about 120 miles distant. that would be our preferred destination if we have to leave, and we have good friends even closer who might take us in. The situation is reciprocal if they have to bug.

#225226 - 06/05/11 03:13 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

LesSnyder,

A heavy duty single axle utility trailer? I have one word, BUTLER. I have two Butlers here one is 5.5' x 10 the other 6' x 12, and they are both tilting decks and single axle with brakes (one surge , one electric) and 16" tires. One is 5700 GVW the other is 7000 GVW. I haul a small Yanmar crawler/ crane/ dump bed unit with them and they are NICE. I found them both used from a Verizon Fleet Auction site. They used them for Ditch Witches, I paid about 800 for one and 1000 for the other. You cant beat these units. I have full steel cased G Series Goodyear tires on both (full steel is just like a tractor trailer tire, and only Goodyear makes them in this 16" size) There is then NO squirm or sway. One is diamond plate decked the other is wood. I modified them for side pockets and winch mounts at the front and d-ring tie downs at 6 points to expiedite my use.

Ironwood

#225236 - 06/05/11 10:26 AM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Ironwood... thanks for the tip...I've been using a 16' Crown and is a little large for my Explorer Sport (and overkill for the job)... mainly to haul a 48inch cut John Deere lawnmower

#225239 - 06/05/11 02:05 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

No worries, I dont know Crown, but there are alot of trailers out there. In the "competetive" market MANY manufacturers have moved to VERY marginally made Chinese axles. Look for DEXTER, they are THE standard by which all others are compared. I can source a 20 year old axle from a scrap yard, pull the serial # and they can usually tell me original purhaser, use and HAVE current parts availability, parts are also common at any parts stores for Dexter. MANY people are dumbfounded when buying cheap trailers then needing even simple brake parts and finding they must replace the WHOLE axle because parts are not available or are COMPLETELY junk. FYI, many older small to medium trailer axles ARE Dexter, even if there is no serial # tag riveted to the center axle tube (common on bigger ones, 8-12K).

Ironwood (15 trailers here)

Edited by Ironwood (06/05/11 02:06 PM)

#225243 - 06/05/11 02:34 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: Ironwood]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ironwood
Ironwood (15 trailers here)

You are to trailers what HikinJim is to stoves. Now you have to blog about them.

(for me it would be flashlights)

#225258 - 06/05/11 07:09 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: TeacherRO]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I never am at a loss of uses for trailers, arches (for urban log moving), and such. No blog yet, but certainly know trailers.

Ironwood

#225581 - 06/09/11 08:05 PM Re: Bug out RV [Re: ]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: mpb
I wonder where everybody is 'bugging out' to?
The whole countryside will be crawling with 'survivalists'.
Does anyone of the out-buggers consider the circumstance that the whole country is setteld and locals will object to some yahoos invading their space?

mpb:

I read through your posts so far, and it seems your primary raison d’etre is to snark. If you do not like the subject matter discussed here, that is your right. But our Forums and our members take great pride in keeping the tone of our discussions civil, friendly, and on message - even when we disagree. So I ask, in my most polite MODERATOR voice possible, that you do the same.

And understand, while I can'tspeak for all, the vast majority of us at ETS are not "survivalists". Survivalists prepare for the end of the word as we know it, and it won't be coming back. If we need such a moniker, call us "Preparers". We try to be prepared for emergencies, big or small, to bridge the time between when a disaster strikes and the time of rescue and/or the reestablishment of normal order. We do not anticipate the end of civilization; in fact, that civilization will still be to rescue us or be reestablished in a reasonable time folling calamity is central to any preparedness plans we make.

As a person who has survived too many hurricanes (Betsy, Camille, Katrina, Rita, Gustav to name a few) I understand the value of being prepared. We have sufficient supplies at home to tide us through 4 days without power or water, and when storms come we always prepare ‘bug-out’ bags for all in case we have to evacuate. In south Louisiana that is not over the top. That is common sense. SO is teaching your child what to do if they are lost in the woods, and what to have with them in case that happens.

Again, if you are here to contribute to ETS, please do so. But, if you are here just to be an annoyance, I got this big red MODERATOR button. You have already been reported to me twice.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.