Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#225632 - 06/10/11 01:00 PM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: Chisel]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Nice improv on the funnel chisel, but I'd splurge for a real signal mirror. A CD CAN work if you have nothing else, or serve as additional improvised mirrors for others in a group, but I would not rely on a CD as your only signal mirror.

#225697 - 06/11/11 03:14 AM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: Frisket]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Funnel - This unit is in some ways better than the purpose built ones.

Cut the middle out of a plain gallon bleach bottle and slit the cylinder to make a rectangular sheet you have a very adaptive funnel. You wrap it loose for large openings and tighter for smaller openings. Being a curled rectangular sheet it is very easy to keep clean, and packs away very compactly.

#225711 - 06/11/11 11:11 AM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very innovative Art! I use a similar piece of repurposed plastic for a cutting board. Never thought of using it as a funnel. Duh! Thanks for the tip!

Chisel, I've heard of using CDs as signal mirrors before. The built-in sighting hole is an added benefit. Have you tried them out? How do they work?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225712 - 06/11/11 11:43 AM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In fairly well controlled tests, CDs make poor signal mirrors. It is much better to get the real thing, or use just any old mirror rather than a CD.

#225722 - 06/11/11 05:38 PM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

In my case, a CD is added to the kits on a (just in case) basis.

I am a city boy ( a 55+ y/o boy for that matter ) and not close to any kind of danger in which I may need a signalling mirror. So , no , I haven't used or bought a real signalling mirror, nor do I know where it can be sold in my part of the world.

In the old days, I used to go in a ship for 10 days as part of my work, or 1-2 days in nearby deserts , but nothing more serious. Now with age and added family responsibilities, I am limited to work in a six-floor corporate building, where i don't see much use for a signalling mirror. A whistle, however, is a part of every kit I have.

Also, my travels are limited to well-travelled highways either by car or as a passenger in a bus ..etc.

#225723 - 06/11/11 05:48 PM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: Frisket]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My latest project

There are two types of containers that we use and RELUCTANTLY throw away ... One is wet wipes and the other is coffee creamer. The opening in both is very nice and we use them for powder detergent for camping trips ..etc. In the wipes containers you have to cut the lips in the openings to make sure the powder (and small lumps of detergent ) flows smoothly.

WARNING:
Make sure to remove the creamer wrapping from the container so that there is no mistake . You do not want to put detergent in your coffee !!!

Next time when you consume one of those 5 kilograms ( or 10 lb ) of detergent .... and before you throw the empty plastic bag with all those detergent logos , cut one of the logos and glue it onto the re-purposed creamer container , so there is absolutely no mistake about the contents.

#225731 - 06/11/11 11:20 PM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Napkins, little packages of condiments and individually wrapped drinking straws from fast food places.

#225732 - 06/11/11 11:24 PM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: bacpacjac]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Napkins, little packages of condiments and individually wrapped drinking straws from fast food places.

Actually I often just put those extra packets into a ziploc bag and toss them in my backpack. Same with napkins because they can come in very handy for example blowing your nose when you've run out of tissues or in a pinch used as toilet paper if you are in a public restroom that is out.
kat

#225736 - 06/11/11 11:49 PM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great idea Kat! Asking for some extra cream and sugar in a bag when get TO coffee or tea will help increase that stash!

#225749 - 06/12/11 01:46 AM Re: Things We Throw Out Every Day Put To Use [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Great idea Kat! Asking for some extra cream and sugar in a bag when get TO coffee or tea will help increase that stash!

Not sure where you or your SO works, however at my work there is an endless incoming supply of TO coffee, tea and food condiments that continuously accumulate and and are free for the taking.

The same goes for Powerade/Gatorade bottles. I snag these when I can as they make great (strong/tough) storage for food when multi-day hiking and camping. I find that although the bottles are bulkier, the extra weight of the bottle is negligible and these qualities make for much better and more reliable storage then ziploc bags.

Examples, left to right:
Milk powder, pasta, oatmeal, basmati rice

The small plastic jar on the right once had PB in it and after a couple of good washes and rinses, there is no residue smell at all.

In the PB jar:
Individual packets of coffee, coffee whitener,tea, hot chocolate, sugar packets, multi-grain bars.

John Lubbock

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.