Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225572 - 06/09/11 06:49 PM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: mpb
People are running and supporting.
Get your name on a list that is handed over to authorities.

Anyway, knife control is a good thing.
One does not need a pocket knife that can be opend with ONE hand.

Reading the first post makes me wonder how I was able to live so long without. I must have done something wrong, using a two-hand-opening pocket knife.

Are you serious? There have been many times I've only had one hand to operate my knife I needed. Also, you must intend for a handicapped person with only one hand to suck up more bad luck. Knife laws like NYC's only restrict law abiding citizens.

#225573 - 06/09/11 07:19 PM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I say he's trolling. He gets a thrill each time you guys respond.

#225576 - 06/09/11 07:35 PM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I say he's trolling. He gets a thrill each time you guys respond.

Partly. I went through his previous posts and this kind of fits his pattern. He lives out in rural Alaska or Canada and has very little sympathy, and no empathy, for those of us who live and work in the asphalt rabbit warrens of the city.

Life is very different here. Most of us don’t have to worry about getting our homes washed off their foundations, but have to shred our junk mail to keep the meth addicts from trying to steal out identities.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#225577 - 06/09/11 07:37 PM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: Doug_Ritter]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Keep up the good work!

I am mostly disappointed by those manufacturers who are NOT involved. Some pretty high-profile makers. Whose one-handed-opening stuff I own. Especially one biggie. Yeah, you know *exactly* who I'm not thinking of... I'm pretty sure this aspect has been discussed before, but in my case I think it will affect any future knife purchases I make. Clearly they don't seem to really believe (when/where it counts) major aspects of their own marketing/promotion.

#225583 - 06/09/11 09:21 PM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: Doug_Ritter]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

OHO isn't essential, but it is damn handy - I've needed it a couple of times and use it all the time.

more importantly this isn't about the law, - it is about how it is applied. If there are laws passed, as citizens we are duty bound to comply with them, and if we want to change them lobby our representatives. it may be frustrating but that is how the system works.

What I believe DR is challenging is the authorities misrepresnting those laws to suit their own agenda - and I applaud his efforts on this.

#225599 - 06/10/11 12:22 AM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: Blast]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
One does not need a pocket knife that can be opend with ONE hand.

Reading the first post makes me wonder how I was able to live so long without. I must have done something wrong, using a two-hand-opening pocket knife.

Seriously? You truly think that there's never been/never will be any person in a situation where they'll be limited to one hand when opening a knife?

Wow. Just...wow.

Actually, after going back and reading your other posts it seems you really have no need for any of the information on this forum. Tell me sir, are you just here to troll?

This sounds like sarcasm to me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#225604 - 06/10/11 12:56 AM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
It's sad that it's come to that, but I'd rather not spend a night in the clink.

In Florida, a concealed carry permit applies to edged weapons.

#225611 - 06/10/11 02:59 AM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
The tragic thing is this (The 'War on Pocket Knives') is causing a ripple affect across the nation. After reading my local laws and seeing how vague and how people I know have been harassed by cops (Cops with auto openers, btw...) I've retired all of my pocket knives which could in anyway be gauged as a "weapon" or does not fit the Florida definition of "a common pocket knife." Our county started to crack down on knives because some guy with bipolar disorder beat up his spouse and they found he had a "collection of hunting knives." I saw the pictures and it wasn't a "collection of hunting knives" It was a knife collection that was frankly appropriate for any man who collects pocket knives.

So it's lead me down the path of MT's and SAK's only. I've been in no-knife areas (Street Art Fairs, stuff like that) unknowingly and a cop has asked me what is on my lanyard (S-Biner+Coil Keychain) and I show them and they just wave me away when they see it's a Leatherman or a Victorinox SAK.

It's sad that it's come to that, but I'd rather not spend a night in the clink.

Sadly, I can kind of relate to this.

Fortunately, most laws have exemptions to one-handed openers with FD/EMS/LE and military. Fortunately I've been involved in one or another since '96, and I've never had a cop once glance at a knife I've had.

That being said, kudos to DR and Knife Rights. Even NYC makes me nervous with their rampant anti-weapon paranoia.

I wonder if DC's recent strike-down on firearm bans is going to help thier case?

#225627 - 06/10/11 11:29 AM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: ]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Florida CCW doesn't apply to Crowds. So if your in a crowd or a sporting event or a gathering the CCW doesn't apply.. I will double check this and edit my posting.

#225630 - 06/10/11 12:19 PM Re: Knife Rights Sues New York City [Re: Tyber]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Tyber
Florida CCW doesn't apply to Crowds. So if your in a crowd or a sporting event or a gathering the CCW doesn't apply.. I will double check this and edit my posting.

790.06 12

(12)&#8195;No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 198 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.